Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrade Tower?

Indebound

OK, I've looked at existing threads and can't really find my answer.

I'm considering upgrading my tower from the old school Tuna Tower to a Star One Deluxe on my 2000 SSLXI. I'm not interested in a cast/illusion tower because it doesn't fit with the style of this boat IMO.

Reasons to upgrade:

1) Tuna tower creaks and shakes when at cruising speeds hitting waves - gives a sense of overall cheapness in the boat

2) The walk thru window hit the front port tower leg and doesn't swing open all the way - overall poor design.

3) I love the boat and its versatility. I plan on keeping the boat for a long time. Might as well invest in dialing everything in for the long haul.

Reasons not to upgrade:

1) $$ (I can find a lot of other ways to spend $1700)

2) My friends love sitting on top of the tower when we are anchroed or just floating/chillin'.

3) I have only started coming around to the Deluxe recently. I like the classic lines of the Skylon Swoop OEM tower, but its slightly more expensive, and reviews point to the Deluxe for stability. Tho I could save on reason #2 above (friends concern)

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/354-malibu-sunsetter-lxi/?tab=images#

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Indebound

Just spend the money and upgrade. Better to do it now so you can enjoy it the whole time you have the boat! You can sell your old tower for a couple hundred bucks or so and recover some of the $1700

I say upgrade. I think it will look better and will be a better overall tower as you mentioned. Have you factored in fiberglass repair into the equation though?

I have considered it. Fortunately the current tower mounts through the white portion of the deck and not through a multitude of lines or colors.

My experience has been that a fully welded tower, like the one you have now, does less creaking and shaking than a universal fit bolt together one.

Also, the windshield problem can be remedied by removing the center piece, mine hasn't been in since the day I bought my boat.

ahopkins22LSV

I have considered it. Fortunately the current tower mounts through the white portion of the deck and not through a multitude of lines or colors.

That is good, but I think you will need to repair the hold mount points.

What do you currently have for tower speakers and or tower mounted lights, racks. I purchased a 97 Sunsetter end of season the tower has nothing mounted on it and need to equp it

That is good, but I think you will need to repair the hold mount points.

i'm not sure what you mean. how is that different from what I said?

What do you currently have for tower speakers and or tower mounted lights, racks. I purchased a 97 Sunsetter end of season the tower has nothing mounted on it and need to equp it

I used to have those Infinity speakers but they were crap. Currently looking into a pair of HLCDs. no lights either, one rack. I've been riding pretty thin, haha

ahopkins22LSV

i'm not sure what you mean. how is that different from what I said?

I used to have those Infinity speakers but they were crap. Currently looking into a pair of HLCDs. no lights either, one rack. I've been riding pretty thin, haha

I guess I didn't catch that you were implying you planned on it when you said you considered it.

I'm a big fan of the Star One & have come up with a great over the tower bimini custom made for it. It's a great design for holding speakers & racks, very sturdy. But its not really great to be climbing on.

20130609_124016_zpsjewxkcva.jpg

Maybe something like this would be up your alley.

SANY0246.jpg

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of the Star One & have come up with a great over the tower bimini custom made for it. It's a great design for holding speakers & racks, very sturdy. But its not really great to be climbing on.

Maybe something like this would be up your alley.

haha definitely not. i like your setup though. If I pull the trigger I'll probably contact you to see about your bimini setup. I would also do black like yours. Did you find a local shop or was that DIY?

haha definitely not. i like your setup though. If I pull the trigger I'll probably contact you to see about your bimini setup. I would also do black like yours. Did you find a local shop or was that DIY?

Mine was done by a local shop by my suggestions. I have more pics of it, including under construction, in the link in my signature (assuming your using a PC browser).