Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inflatable toy repair - plastic weld

Punyelroo

Hi, I have an inflatable toy that has a plastic weld that has separated - the material is fine - just the plastic welding has let go .... Anyone know if there is a easy way to reweld it without buying a heat gun from eBay ? Is the plastic weld glue any good ?

Cheers

I would try a product like aqua seal or Seamseal - same as I use for my dry suit and wet suit repair and everything else that needs a flexible waterproof seal. Just recently used some on the finger tips of some work gloves that were wearing through.

I think the most appropriate and reasonable thing to do is buy an industrial grade plastic welding machine......and then make custom ballast bags and sell them to us at cost.

...oh and then fix the toy.

• Like 2

You will need to find an adhesive patch that you can stick on the inside of the inflatable to give the seam strength. Then you can apply a flexible sealant on the outside. A few of my inflatables came with patches like this but they are small. Try going to a dive shop and see if they have dry suit repair kits. They may even have the adhesive seam tape and can just cut you a piece long enough to cover the spot.

The important part is you need to reinforce the split portion for the repair to be effective.

Without knowing where the seam let go, hard to say which experiment to try.

Putting a patch inside?

My first thought is building a ship in a bottle.

How would you get the patch inside either through the inflation hole or the burst seam.

If you have a Boston valve, at least you have around an inch to work through assuming you can access the seam to repair from this inflation spot.

Then applying suitable pressure against the broken seal from inside.

Sounds tricky.

How about taking it to a packaging place that uses those heat sealers for plastic bags.

Most companies supplying screws or smells have these bag sealers which may work.

Again, depends on where the seam gave way if you can clamp the seam with the heat sealer as they clamp in a straight line.

Eithere way, have a great 2016

Buy new toy...it has lost its strength ....if you have a hole use sportstuff glue....stuff is amazing. I have fixed air mattress's and toyable toys...pick it up on ebay or amazon less than 10 bucks

Thanks... Appreciate the ideas everybody !

... Unfortunately I don't have it with me right now to send a picture

The SportStuff glue looks like its probably the right product to actually glue it but as said above, the structural support is probably the bigger problem...

Will see how we go ....

BTW - the problem occurred as there were about 12 kids on one of these ... :Doh:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Paradise-Relaxation-Station-4-Person/dp/B00IOQCTEM

Edited by Punyelroo

The SportStuff glue looks like its probably the right product to actually glue it but as said above, the structural support is probably the bigger problem...

Will see how we go ....

BTW - the problem occurred as there were about 12 kids on one of these ... :Doh:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Paradise-Relaxation-Station-4-Person/dp/B00IOQCTEM

90 bucks just buy a new one dont even waste your time trying to fix it....the cost of 12 kids on a 4 person inflatable..have each kid pony up 8 bucks....the cost of admission

I've fixed tubes, bumpers, an air mattress, bicylce tire tubes, ballast bags, physical therapy cool packs, etc with this stuff. Since its just on a seam and not really a hole or missing material, air the thing up lightly and apply this to the cut, if it bubbles take out some more air and recoat. It's thick enough and dries quickly enough that you should be able to have a little air in the tube and still get it to seal. Recoat liberally 2-3 more times expanding the patch slightly each time. Replacement is no fun :fingerwag:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Pig-PTY105-Industrial-Container/dp/B00BUB5JOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451919187&sr=8-1&keywords=hh66

Will see how we go ....

That's not the kind of inflatable toy we were picturing....

Anyway, what Ndawg said. You can also cut a corner off of your vinyl shower curtain to make a patch to cover the goop on your last application. Press it hard or use a roller like they show to get good contact everywhere.

I tend to save vinyl scraps from packaging or shower curtain trimmings just for these kinds of repairs.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We bought ours at Costco. They replaced it twice.

I bought mine from Ebay :( ... I realise they are not expensive (well they are significantly more expensive where I live than you guys pay) but its principal of the thing - I hate chucking stuff out .... :blush:

I am going to try some HH-66 Vinyl Cement - will see how that plays out...

Thanks for the ideas everybody!