Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 LS1 trouble

megawatthour

Purchased a 2001 Wakesetter with the LS1 engine option last year. After a full weekend on the water, the boat developed engine trouble. Got it to the shop and found out that one of the pistons had a hole in it. Traced down the root cause to a factory paint issue. Seems they painted over the electrical terminals on one of the fuel injectors only allowing it to operate correctly about 50% of the time leaving a lean condition in that cylinder. In an effort to get back on the water quickly, I was able to track down and buy a remanufactured LS1 engine. The shop put it in but can't get it to start. Mechanic claims this is the wrong engine. This is a car engine not a marine engine. So armed with this info, I called the engine place and they assurred me this is the correct engine and it doesn't matter of it is a car engine or marnine engine because the differences are external and there is nothing different with the internals of the engine.

Myself and the mechanic have both been researching without much luck to find out:

1) Is this the wrong engine,

2) If so, what are the differences between a car engine and a marine engine,

3) Why it won't start?

Both the mechanic and the engine place beleive they are right. The shop working on the boat is an authorized Malibu dealer but they don't seem to have the troubleshooting skills necessary to solve this one and claim that their contacts at Malibu that ever knew anything about this engine option have all since retired. I just want to get back on the water. Does anyone have any knowledge that will help??? Thanks......

Unfortunately most of the mechanics at tow boat dealerships are basically shade tree types with limited troubleshooting capability and professional training as evident with the issues that you are having. Can he explain to you exactly what is different about the engine that is preventing start?? Or at least tell you if it is a spark or fuel issue? If he can't answer these basic questions, I would consider finding a different dealership / marine mechanic ASAP!

I would also consider reaching out to Indmar (the company that provided the engine to Malibu) for help. There is nothing magical about the LS1.

I had the same issue with a new Indmar engine. No spark. The problem was a crank fired something or other that was hooked up backwards. I wish I could be more specific, but that is all I remember.

Side note........if your mechanic knew his stuff I don't think he could have gotten all the way to the end of an engine swap without noticing he had the wrong engine.

I had the same issue with a new Indmar engine. No spark. The problem was a crank fired something or other that was hooked up backwards. I wish I could be more specific, but that is all I remember.

Side note........if your mechanic knew his stuff I don't think he could have gotten all the way to the end of an engine swap without noticing he had the wrong engine.

You mean the crankshaft position sensor?

Thanks for the response. If my reasearch is correct, there is some extrenal "magic" to getting the LS1 to work. For example, I think in the car version, the the crank and camshaft position sensors are important inputs to the ignition module but on the marine version, I think these inputs actually come from the transmission. It is things like this that I think are messing us up.

Being a shadetree mechanic myself, I agree with your thought that another mechanic may be the way to go. What training or certifications should I look for in selecting one?

Also, we did contact Indmar but unfortunately, their general customer support was not all that helpful. Do you know of a specific contact or group at Indmar that can help? Thanks.....

The 2001 LS1 did not have a good history. I really wanted that engine but Malibu pulled it as a option after 20 of the first 80 sold failed due to detonation. Malibu pulled the engine and I thought replaced most of the motors with hammerheads. They redid the ECU mapping and some cooling changes and started selling them again. The problem you are having I am sure is a ECU issue. I believe indmar replaced the ECU with their own product but not 100% on that. If they did you are going to have to try and source one. I suspect that won't be easy. The lack of ECU's for many of these types of motors has spurred a aftermarket carb conversion industry. You could look into that or consider another engine option. There are also no ECU's available for the Monsoons from that timeframe. If your ECU fails it's a bad thing! There are none to be had.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-Performer-RPM-Chevrolet-LS1-Carbureted-Intake-Manifold-Kit/755239/10002/-1

Edited by Sailvi767

I forgot the obvious! Where is the old engine? Get the ECU off that motor! Vince at DIM is a great person to discuss your issues as I mentioned. He also knows a lot about the situation with the lack of ECU's.

George

Edited by Sailvi767

A LS1 is a LS1, car or boat. I assume you got a long block, with heads but no intake etc and the rest was all swapped over? The early LS motors (all LS1) used a rear mount cam sensor, kinda where the distributor mounted on the SBC and a 24x crank wheel. I would be really suprised if any sort of engine operating signal was to come from the trans, that makes no sense at all. If your mechanic is saying it won't start because it's an auto engine in a boat I'd really be digging into why they are saying that, baffles me as to what could possibly be different in the long block.

• Like 2

The 2001 LS1 did not have a good history. I really wanted that engine but Malibu pulled it as a option after 20 of the first 80 sold failed due to detonation. Malibu pulled the engine and I thought replaced most of the motors with hammerheads. They redid the ECU mapping and some cooling changes and started selling them again. The problem you are having I am sure is a ECU issue. I believe indmar replaced the ECU with their own product but not 100% on that. If they did you are going to have to try and source one. I suspect that won't be easy. The lack of ECU's for many of these types of motors has spurred a aftermarket carb conversion industry. You could look into that or consider another engine option. There are also no ECU's available for the Monsoons from that timeframe. If your ECU fails it's a bad thing! There are none to be had.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-Performer-RPM-Chevrolet-LS1-Carbureted-Intake-Manifold-Kit/755239/10002/-1

#1: Carb conversion is an awful idea. I've heard of no trend towards going to carb conversions and would highly suggest against such a move.

#2: You can still get this ECU. I have a '01 LS1. It has the CEFI-3 (Delphi 16237019) in it. Take a look at this thread, a member here got a new CEFI-3 ECU just a few months ago:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54637-new-ecm/

#3: Never heard of this LS1 problem for the Indmar motors. 2001 also wasn't the first year for the LS1 motor, which would have went unchanged from 2000 to 2001; in '02 they wised up and went with a remote oil filter, which I partly converted to (block side is the Indmar kit, filter/hose side is a generic kit with a much bigger filter).

Now to the OP's issue. Late last year, I barely bent a single prop blade, causing an issue that felt like a misfire. After some overly quick troubleshooting, I ended up arcing two ECU wires, blowing a fuse. Same crank no fire situation. I'd sure hope that isn't the issue but worth looking at. The fuses are hidden in the black metal box where the ECU is mounted (which is VERY contrary to what is show in the owner's manual and service manuals for this motor).

My guess is the crank positioning sensor isn't connected. Check all connections, then check for spark followed by checking for fuel.

Edited by Nitrousbird

So I would also look at the rest of the pistons. If you see any pitting then I would say you are using a fuel with a low Octane. The piston top should be smooth may have some carbon but nothing like pitting or an appearance like sand blasting. I would also want the fuel injector checked to be sure it's what you think. With the money you are dropping and some of the comments your shop people have come up with I would not trust the evaluation of the problem so quick.

• Like 1