Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

malibu echelon New paint job

Timalibu

I'm busy with a total make-over for my 95 " echelon. (motor rebuild 350, upholstery and a complete New colour)

I was wondering of there a echelon owners over here with metal flake paint. To see some examples.

Thanks

@Timalibu: can't help with the paint, but will suggest that you look in to a cylinder head upgrade while doing the rebuild. GM upgraded the cylinder heads in 1996 (used for marine and pickup truck engines) which flow significantly better and boost power from 265 hp to 310 hp. Have fun with your project, the Echelon is a great boat.

Oooh, I'm gonna like this thread! I can't help with the flake - have you thought about doing a vinyl wrap instead? Much easier to change if you get tired of the look. I've been on this site for several years and I have not seen any flake re-gels or paint jobs on any boats, but have seen some beautiful wraps. Not that it can't be done, I just wouldn't expect much feedback on paint.

Here's some pics of my '94:

post-8942-0-97284100-1432298645_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-90368000-1432037711_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-70710300-1427825812_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-69443700-1424700855_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-74724100-1400625979_thumb.jp
post-8942-0-21424600-1388781459_thumb.jp

Painting a Skier:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42538-saving-an-square-windshield-bu/page-7

I agree with vinyl wrapping. Partial just to cover dated colors or full for a whole new look. Keep it classy and it shouldn't be dated in a couple years like a lot of the crazycompanylogo/octopus/playingcards/nekkidwomen/etc. wraps of the last few seasons.

Like Michiganboarder's boat mine was chalky pink when I got it. Elbow grease, wet sanding, polishing, and modern graphics really brought it up to date. But it wasn't pink and teal to begin with like many are...

post-12034-0-09791400-1451511164_thumb.j

Edited by jk13

If you wind up painting your boat, look into Awlgrip or another quality aircraft paint. The stuff is great over gel coat, and is very durable in the sun and weather.

If you like the colors on your boat and want to bring them back to life with a maintenance-free finish, use aircraft clear coat.

@michigan boarder.

Your boat is nice and clean!

Wrapping is not a option beause it is way to expensive here in Holland.

For a semi full wrap I pay min (2500,-) / $2 750 dollar?

A paint job is for me the best option, beause we have a bodyshop.

I try to upload some pics, so you see whats happening up here :)

Edited by Timalibu
  • Like 1

The trailer on the photo is not the original trailer that belongs to the echelon. I have a New PEGA trailer with a propguard as well.

I just want to have a whole New look. So I have to make the best of it with a New upholstery ,engine rebuild and som awesome paintwork. I want to give this echelon a little touch of an 2015 wakesetter also with a New dash (lcd screen) and more

The engine is not stock anymore

0.60 oversized wiseco pistons

Runs on impco propane (tbi is removed)

Eagle crankshaft

..... camshaft.

Roller rockers

Msd billet ignition

Ngk platinum spark plugs

The intake and cilinder heads are Flowed as well.(I hope you know what I mean) my english is not perfect, sorry for that

The trailer on the photo is not the original trailer that belongs to the echelon. I have a New PEGA trailer with a propguard as well.

I just want to have a whole New look. So I have to make the best of it with a New upholstery ,engine rebuild and som awesome paintwork. I want to give this echelon a little touch of an 2015 wakesetter also with a New dash (lcd screen) and more

Eagle crankshaft

..... camshaft.

Roller rockers

Msd billet ignition

Ngk platinum spark plugs

The intake and cilinder heads are Flowed as well.(I hope you know what I mean) my english is not perfect, sorry for that

Sounds good! I am very interested in seeing how you work out the LCD dash, my dash is original and worn, and ready for an upgrade as well.

Sounds good! I am very interested in seeing how you work out the LCD dash, my dash is original and worn, and ready for an upgrade as well.

I'm still searching for a way to use analog inputs (non OBDII) into an iPad and use that for the gauges in mine.

Only way I've found is putting in NMEA sensors and brain box in, at which point it's easier and cheaper to run a dedicated NMEA display (still over $1k total).

But then we lose audio and other fun things.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of what a truly timeless, great all-round water sports boat Malibu had with the Echelon. I know this site has many other fine examples as well. Good luck with the project Timalibu!

Thnx John!

I love the timeless shapes of the echelon.

Unfortunality I cant afford a New model so this is my way to create an eyecatcher this summer. I wil spend for about 6k in the boat

Upholstery 1500

Paint 1000

Engine rebuild 1500 (materials only)

Audio/lcd 1500

Others 500

I bought the boat for 8k

And for 14k Its is impossible to buy a boat as this When she's ready

Btw.

The most difficult part of the paintjob is to create New lines on the echelon.

I dont like the oldschool colour pattern and I just want to create some New lines.

With white/purple metal flake and grey (flakes)

Photoshop will do magic, but I nearely can draw a straight line with paint :)

Some body have sugestions?

Btw.

The most difficult part of the paintjob is to create New lines on the echelon.

I dont like the oldschool colour pattern and I just want to create some New lines.

With white/purple metal flake and grey (flakes)

Photoshop will do magic, but I nearely can draw a straight line with paint :)

Some body have sugestions?

The steps in the hull are difficult to work around to create a 'modern' pattern on them.

Use photoshop and create an all-white boat, or take it old school and use trace paper to create the outline, including all the hull steps, then make a few blank copies and color them in as you wish. You'll quickly see what works on the hull shape and what doesn't.

It's how we used to come up with paint patterns for our jet skis in the 80s/90s.

The problem is I cant work with photoshop haha.

I try to find a colleague to help me

I work @ the military and cant go home from monday till friday, so I have enough time to spend to create some drawings on paper ;)

Eagle crankshaft

..... camshaft.

Roller rockers

Msd billet ignition

Ngk platinum spark plugs

It now runs on propane? I'm intrigued. How does this all work and how are you going to store the propane? I'm haven't a clue how any of this works.

In the 70's gas shortage, my gandpa in CA had his cars converted to propane, and continued to do it with every car thereafter. Had a 20 gallon tank tucked in the trunk, and could change back to gasoline with the flick of a switch. Motor oil was a lot cleaner looking in those cars. Lost about 2-3 mpg vs gasoline.

Its difficult for me to explain in english how it works etc.. but I try (dutchmen)

The original gastank is removed. instead of that I use the space for 2 propane tanks.

Each 40liter(dont know how much gallon?)

The conversion is very simple/plain.

I disconect the ecu (computer) and put a mixer(impco 300a 50/70 "google") on top of the throtlebody. Wich I connected with the propane tank.

For more details please google Impco propane. Haha

Side note:

In Holland we pay 1.40,- for a liter gasoline. propane just 0.42,-a liter.

I run 1.5hours WOT with 2 propane tanks

And Its possible to put 2 more tanks in the front of the boat.

Normaly you pay a lot of tax each month for cars with a propane conversion, depents on the wheigt of the car. But for boats you Dont.otherwise everybody should drive here on propane

• Like 3