Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooler in the 2015 VLX

Hollywould

Ok, I've searched the forum and see nothing about the cooler/setup in the 15 VLX. I've bought the boat but haven't had it out yet. Going through it in the showroom, you can't easily remove the cooler from its place under the seat. Has this been discussed? Any tricks I haven't figured out yet?

I didn't think it was worth posting since I figured it was a mistake at the factory. I had my dealer pull the mount point off the seat base and turn it around (180*), that gave just enough clearance to pull the cooler out without removing the seat. With the bracket turned around it's possible to either re-use or cover the holes in the seat base so it isn't obvious what happened, I just don't remember exactly how mine is and the boat is ~1 hr. away at the moment. If you need me to, I can take a picture when I'm at the storage facility later this week.

Personally, I think it's one of those little details that someone overlooked by not having a template for where to drill/mount the bracket at the factory. I'm amazed at how many holes get drilled in the boat at the factory without templates...

Good advice. Got a Yeti Hopper 20 for Christmas, I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't fit, I'll go with AO. Thanks-

I can't see buying a $300 Yeti when I could have 5 AOs that work really well. :Doh:

I can't see buying a $300 Yeti when I could have 5 AOs that work really well. :Doh:

Except....they don't work as well. Are Yeti Hoppers 5x the price? Yep! But, they're at least 2x the cooler. I wouldn't trade mine for any other soft sided cooler.

I'd rather have one yeti over 5 ao's. It is night and day difference between the two.

I guess I don't get it. A buddy of mine has a Yeti hard cooler. He can get about 12 cans in it, they will stay cold for a week, and its so big that the only place it fits is in the middle of the floor (won't fit in walkway or in the back due to ballast).

The AO holds 3 times as many cans, keeps them cold for 2 or 3 days easily, and fits under the seat.

The benefits just don't cut it for me.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 3

I guess I don't get it. A buddy of mine has a Yeti hard cooler. He can get about 12 cans in it, they will stay cold for a week, and its so big that the only place it fits is in the middle of the floor (won't fit in walkway or in the back due to ballast).

The AO holds 3 times as many cans, keeps them cold for 2 or 3 days easily, and fits under the seat.

The benefits just don't cut it for me.

To be clear, I only bring an ao on the boat for the reasons you mentioned. It does its job for keeping drinks cold for a day and it didn't break the bank. However, the only cooler I grab when it's time for a hunting trip or fishing trip is my 65qt yeti. One of my friends is a fishing guide and they swear by yeti's. He talked me into mine actually.

Ok, I've searched the forum and see nothing about the cooler/setup in the 15 VLX. I've bought the boat but haven't had it out yet. Going through it in the showroom, you can't easily remove the cooler from its place under the seat. Has this been discussed? Any tricks I haven't figured out yet?

I agree with this. When I looked at the new VLX I couldn't believe the poor design of the "space/opening" for placing the hard sided cooler. It's actually like it wasn't designed at all, basically a gap under the seats. Compared the VLX space to my little 20 MXZ and some of the other Malibu models, that designed the actual fiberglass unde the seat to hold the cooler and even hold up the handles so you can get the cooler in and out. Malibu should have done a better job with the cooler space in the VLX.

post-26767-0-74461300-1451476321_thumb.j

Didn't buy the Yeti, got it as a gift so will see if it fits!

Edited by Hollywould