Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble Finding a Sportster

TSchimizzi

Ahhh that is right, thanks. Aren't both great barefoot hulls though? Just looking for a sportster may make the search difficult.

You and I both know a guy dying for a Response LXi that owns a Sporty, hopkins. It's a great boat, too.

If you can, look at Craigslist for So. Calif. Mine is in there with a picture. It is an 04 Sportster with the MPI 320 HP Indomar power plant. The boat has less than 200 hours and is in excellent condition. It has always been covered and in a garage. Take al look at my add and see if it fits your needs. The price is negotiable. Steve 805 526 7924

Beautiful boat but a little out of my price range

Where in the country are you located? Are you willing to travel? If so, how far?

Located in Pittsburgh but willing to travel 8 hours or so for the right boat.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5373696398.html

This one caught my interest. Were there any substantial changes between the earlier years and the later years? I read somewhere they changed to a larger gauge in 2000?

Edited by TSchimizzi

Beautiful boat but a little out of my price range

Located in Pittsburgh but willing to travel 8 hours or so for the right boat.

https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5373696398.html

This one caught my interest. Were there any substantial changes between the earlier years and the later years? I read somewhere they changed to a larger gauge in 2000?

That looks to be the identical boat my buddy owns, even same color. We hope it goes forever, such a great slalom & foot'n boat. That price with those hours looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

TS, you are correct. Sportsters were about 2100 lbs compared to 2400 for a Response and a 86-87" beam instead of 90". Best barefoot wake we offered.

The last two years of production (04-05) they all had Fuel injection standard, but prior the carb was standard, and very few optioned up for efi. Initially the cost was substantial - around $2500 for efi upgrade.

The DL6 tower was perfect on the Sportster, but not many dealers or customers knew about them besides us. There should be some photos floating around of an all green one and a all red one with towers on them. Hot little machines.

Good luck in your search-

Peter

TS: just an FYI, and probably not an issue based on your first post on use %, the sportster due to narrower width has a harder wake at the table (noticeable on those slalom sets) which makes it better for footing. Also, if you have a concern relative to being car bed, the Weber is actually very easy to service and tune, and is basically the same as a Carter AFB.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 with ~115hrs and the Merc 350 MPI (multi-port injector) in Austin TX that I may liqidate.  I also have a 2015 VLX and simply need to downsize the car/boat fleet.  We use it for about an hour or so every other week during the summer for the past few years - so probably not enough to justify unless we were on the lake.  I change the oil annually.  Really a clean low-hour boat in really good shape.  New ACME prop on it and I have the OEM stainless as well.  I replaced the trailer with an identical one treated with line-X that I found after looking for several years. I would probably pull the windshield and re-do the powder coating for a couple hundred to have a nearly new boat. If you PM me I can send pics.  Not sure what its worth, so let me know what you are finding on these and I can talk.

On 3/24/2016 at 1:05 PM, malibu2004 said:

Just out of curiosity what do you think is better about a Sportser verse the MC 205? 

The first gen MC 205's have great slalom wakes and good bf wakes The generations after that, the wakes got worse. The sporties have great bf wakes and good slalom wakes, small and a little firm but with proper form it's nothing. I'd vote that the sporty has better wakes but if you want more space or are tall (I'm 6'5"), the sporty gets cramped real quick. I love being pulled by sportsters, but I dislike being in them! The first gen responses/echelons have similar wakes, slightly better for slalom and slightly worse for bf.

Edited by jaciche

For barefooting, I would get this.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=36211 older engine, but if it runs great, use it for a few years and then get 1 yr old from a ski team for around 11k.

Look here for some boats, there is sanger for sale with no engine. Asking 5000, but I know the guy will take less, https://www.facebook.com/groups/412321035447873/

Sportsters are starting to show up every week. Like smoothwater said, most will be carb.

There is an Echelon LX for sale for 5K that might need a new engine, but has brand new insides. It is in the classifieds here but no pictures. I texted to get them. It looks nice.

Some good deal are out there is you want to put some work into the upgrades.