Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble Finding a Sportster

TSchimizzi

I am considering a Sportster for my next boat. 90% barefoot, 10% slalom so from what I've read it's a great starting point. My budget is $10K to $15K. After some searching, I have come up with a a few questions:

-Why are these boats hard to find with the larger EFI motors? Every one I have found has a carb. I currently have a 94 Prostar 205 w/ EFI and would hate to go backwards.

-Why does every Sportster out there have cheap towers on them? All I see is Monster Towers and other junk. This boat would immediately get a BFI tower and Super Fly High so I would prefer one that is unmolested.

I've searched the classifieds here, BoatTrader, SkiItAgain, OnlyInboards and Craigslist nationwide through SearchTempest. Is there anywhere I'm missing?

If you happen to know of any listed for sale that may meet my criteria, please let me know!

I have seen a few on ebay this year, though none in the last couple months. I just can't picture my buddy's Sportster with a tower - I consider it a "pure" slalom boat (and great for barefoot too) so a tower seems wrong. He dose have a nice barefoot boom that will also mount vertical for the occasional wake boarder. Good luck in your search; they are a great boat for your described needs. Ours has a carb, rarely a problem so far.

I have a 1996 Malibu Response with a Mercruiser Black Scorpian Engine.

315 hp, multi port EFI for sale. 700 hours.

currently in storage was planning on advertising in the spring.

Great barefoot boat, very quick acceleration.

looking for 10K

• Like 2

a 1996- 2000 response LX will be in that budget. I have a friend that had one and the wake was great. My first indoard was a Malibu Tantrum. Entry level boat but another great wake. wish I still had it as a second pull

cant get the link to work for some reason but looks like a nice low hour 2001 on Houston craigslist. Maybe someone else can make it work.

Edited by windy1

I have to disagree that winter is a bad time to buy a boat. The last two I bought were found in January and purchased in March. I was able to find great deals and bought them off forums from well-respected guys so I was confident in what I was buying...without a doubt safer and easier than buying off Craigslist and one of the reasons I started this post.

I definitely would like to stick with a Sportster. I've read in other threads here that the Response (including the Barefoot edition) is a step backwards from the Sportster wake-wise. I don' t need the extra space, my family has a Wakesetter that we use for everything else. I'll certainly entertain other boats but would have to ski one to be comfortable stepping away from what I already know is a great barefoot boat. Skyskier or Vickslave, can you post some details?

I'm also not in love with towers on a pure ski boat but they provide additional storage and are essential for progressing long line. The BFI is one of the ugliest out there but without a doubt the most solid when used with the Super Fly High. I have an aftermarket universal tower on my MC now and while it looks decent, I wouldn't trust it with a Super Fly High unless I welded all the joints together.

Found this boat on CL, the price is good and it looks clean in the photos. Ironically it has the same tower I have on my MC so I would want to change that out. I know it's a long shot, but maybe someone on the forum is familiar with the boat or its owner.

LINKS WON'T PASTE OVER FOR ME!

Edited by TSchimizzi

My neighbor and co religiously barefoot behind his Flightcraft. He has been to Ron Scarpa's place (Ron actually came to his place for a week and put on a local barefoot clinic) and skied behind Malibu Barefoot Respones Ron had and my neighbor still swears by his Flightcraft. As for long line, we simply use a standard pylon extension like the Fly High or Skylon and never have issue with one foots or spins.

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2001/12/img6767.jpg

the carb 310 was standard equipment in this price point boat. the efi upgrade was pricey relative to the cost of the standard package. if you continue to slalom even 10% do NOT get the the flightcraft. the sportster/tantrum hull is awesome for your needs. keep looking & don't settle for something else!

I will say this, the 97-01 Ski Nautique 196 is one heck of a pull tractor. The TSC hull is still heavily sought after and there are quite a few out there. We just sold one with 315 hours a few weeks ago.

Edited by BlknYlwT22

I have to disagree that winter is a bad time to buy a boat.

It's not that winter is a bad time to BUY a boat. It's that winter is a bad time to FIND a boat to buy. Typically people sell either in the spring or fall. Test driving a boat, or even towing one, can be a challenge or near impossible in the winter.

• Like 1

The hulls are different sv23 vs sv diamond (response) has more lift due to the straked hull. It does feel different, lighter-more planning than plowing but both have fantastic slalom wakes. I did pull a couple of good footers behind the Tantrum & both said it was awesome!

We researched some outboards (Flightcrafts, Sangers, Barefoot 190s) but anything in our price range had an older Merc or Yamaha engine that I'm not comfortable with. Having never owned an outboard, I would like to stick with a DD inboard.

From what I have researched, the Tantrum and Sportster are the same hull, while the response is wider, heavier and sits a little deeper.

If you can, look at Craigslist for So. Calif. Mine is in there with a picture. It is an 04 Sportster with the MPI 320 HP Indomar power plant. The boat has less than 200 hours and is in excellent condition. It has always been covered and in a garage. Take al look at my add and see if it fits your needs. The price is negotiable. Steve 805 526 7924

ahopkins22LSV

The hulls are different sv23 vs sv diamond (response) has more lift due to the straked hull. It does feel different, lighter-more planning than plowing but both have fantastic slalom wakes. I did pull a couple of good footers behind the Tantrum & both said it was awesome!

Ahhh that is right, thanks. Aren't both great barefoot hulls though? Just looking for a sportster may make the search difficult.