Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting lower XM9 on rear crossbar (G3.2)

Fman

Anyone here moved the lower XM9 up on to the rear crossbar of the G3.2 tower? Did it help lessen the sound blow to people sitting in the back seat? I am considering doing it this winter but do not want to waste my time if it really has no affect of moving sound out of the rear cabin. It looks like its going to be quite bit of work, and possibly create a potential head banger while standing up in the boat. I have considered even going down to one pair of XM9's but really like the sound of 4 on the tower.

Pics would be great, any thoughts?

Edited by Fman

I feel its negligible. Yes, the speaker is moving higher, but at the same time, its moving forward, still allowing for radiation down into the cabin. One advantage though, is that you will now have some pan and tilt adjustment, rather than just the tilt you have with the pod mounted to a fixed vertical surface using existing holes.

MLA, so you have done a sound comparison between the two mounting options? Have you actually been out in a boat with these two different setups? Ugh, sounds like there really is no fix for this.

The sound is going to be a little better (smoother and more coherent) from a rear focal point when the speakers are the minimum distance apart (front to rear). Reason is that staggered speakers introduce a lot of phasing differences and that creates small peaks and dips in the response.

A large part of the sound radiation down in the cockpit is from one tower speaker reflecting off the pod of the other tower speaker. So I would avoid any change that encourages that scenario.

Using only two tower speakers usually sounds more coherent. But if you are trying to drive two speakers, versus four, that much harder then overdriving a single set can be even more annoying to the rear occupants.

All issues to take into consideration before making a change. This is a challenge that everyone faces and there is no perfect fix.

Another way of looking at this is that most rear occupants do not mind the high output levels as much when the speaker is not as bright. So there are means to both passively and actively warm up an HLCD speaker. And in that case I would definitely want to maintain both sets of 8-inch speakers because any equalization either stresses the power & speaker more or reduces the output.

MLA, so you have done a sound comparison between the two mounting options? Have you actually been out in a boat with these two different setups? Ugh, sounds like there really is no fix for this.

I have not done this a an A-B on the same boat, but I have been behind G3 equipped boats with same speakers, similar power mounted in both the factory spot and then with pods on the cross bar. I think the arch of the bar tiling the speaker off axis just a little, helps make them not so in your face to the rear seated passengers.

I have not done this a an A-B on the same boat, but I have been behind G3 equipped boats with same speakers, similar power mounted in both the factory spot and then with pods on the cross bar. I think the arch of the bar tiling the speaker off axis just a little, helps make them not so in your face to the rear seated passengers.

In your opinion would it be worth the hassle moving the speakers? Did you notice any issues with head clearance and people hitting there heads?

With one 8" pod in the upper OEM spot, a 2nd 8" pod can only be set out so far on the bar. Head clearance is going to be one of the trade off for sure, but the regulars will get used to it fast. Its going to be a pretty good job to re wire and relocate a pair. I think it will be worth it.