Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Shaft Size

Hi there

Can anyone help me with my question? On the week end my propeller shaft broke off 1 inch after the skeg losing my propeller . What length is the shaft? It is on a 2005 VLX.

I am guessing the previous owner must of hit something .

Thanks

1-1/8" I'm guessing. You could always do a little math. Circumference = Pi * Diameter. Use a string to go around what is left. Measure the string. Divide by Pi. Boom, shaft size.

Pull it and measure the length is the safest way to get a new shaft...

That's a little difficult when part of it is at the bottom of the river/lake as the OP indicates.

Call Malibu, they'll have the exact info including a part number for you.

• Like 2

Either way, will need to pull the shaft.

There is usually only about 1/8" gap between the Skeg & rear of the prop. At this point the taper would start for the prop.

Should be sufficient to get the length.

Greenman had a good thread on removing the coupling from the transmission end awhile back with pics.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56267-broken-driveshaft/?hl=%2Btransmission+%2Bcoupling#entry849477

Would transmission & engine combination affect the length of the shaft?

Boob mentions a 2005 VLX & his profile is a 2013 VLX. Would the shafts be the same?

Being in AU, if a US boat, local Malibu will offer little reference help.

Bad time of the year with a lot of places closed for the christmas new year break down under.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is another boat I have purchased. I have measured my shaft to where it has broken off and added 4 1/2 inches which is what the 2013 VLX is. I measure it to be 47 1/2 inches long. I was just hoping that someone knew off hand.

Cheers