Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 vlx overheating

Hey guys,

Two things... First thing I just fit a new propeller to this boat from a 13.5x17.5 to a 14.5x14.25. I mainly board however at ski speed of 30-35mph it's gone from say 3200-3500 to 3500-4200. Is this too high rpm to be running for more than a short ski?

Secondly today my boat overheated and upon pulling it out I noticed the whole impeller housing itself had come off the shaft and made a mess of the shaft and impeller itself. Has anyone had this happen before? I don't understand how the impeller stays up against the shaft... Also weather the shaft itself is replaceable on the pulley it's attached too or weather it goes into the block.

1. your motor will be fine, fuel consumption will increase but no harm to the motor.

2. Could you post some pics or link to some pics on a photo sharing site? I have never heard of the entire housing coming loose. They usually have a bracket of some sort to keep the housing steady while the shaft spins, if this bracket comes loose or off I could see that making a mess of things.

Good luck and keep us posted. I really would like to see some pics.

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Johnson-Pump-10-24915-01.htm?feed=Froogle&gclid=CjwKEAiAtf6zBRDS0oCLrL37gFUSJACr2JYbKDkV3nHD35WB6Vl3AUuZts6Oq3GtCFj6V2z_-BGjEBoCJ23w_wcB