Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 10's upgrade question

SURFNUT

I currently have 4 rev 8's in the factory set up with the factory amp but it's very well tuned. I keep reading how happy and impressed everyone is with the Rev 10's unfortunately without doing a stereo delete the 10's weren't an option. My question is would it really be worth going to the trouble of trying to sell my 1 season old factory installed Rev 8's to swap them for 10's. I understand that 4 10's on the G3.2 tower will likely create a pass through clearance issue but I may be willing to live with that. I am just curious if the 10's will be that much louder and clearer to make it worth the trouble of the swap. Or would it be possible to do something different with the amps to push the 8's harder and live with them not being quite as deep in the mid bass area. Your opinions would be appreciated. Planning on doing some upgrades in the off season and this is one that I am considering.

From what I have been reading on here adding another set of Rev-10s isn't really going to get you a noticeable gain in performance over just a single set. I can say that my single set of Rev-10s on a SYN 4 thru a 420 SQ has great mid base depth, great range and can be dangerous when cranked in boat. The 420 really helped the stock RF speakers as well. Honestly the only down side to a single set is that the G3 does seem kind of bare! Esthetically, Malibu did a great job designing the dual speaker set up, not so much with the stock speakers. I have the WS dual mounting brackets with the 10s mounted in the highest position on swivel mounts. They will not rotate 360, but enough for what most of us wanted them to, rotate up out of the cabin for hearing preservation. With a dual set of 10s, clearance might not be much worse than having a dual set of the Alpha cans, but you would have to ask someone with a dual 10 set up. You might call TNT to see if they can do a demo comparison. Bill

I've run two pair of Rev10s on a G3 tower, and i now run only one pair. Two pair was too much for the cabin occupants. It's just brain melting loud, and the speakers in the lower position, even when rotated up a bit as wdr suggests, tend to blast the cabin. I do concur that you want the wetsounds dual mounts in either case, because they allow you to tuck the single pair of rev10s in the highest position in the corners.

In both cases I was running on a single Arc Audio KS600.2. If you do go to Rev10s chances are you will need to change up your tower amp(s) (unless you've already done so?)

So I guess it depends what your goals are. I've run two pair and on the G3 I think one pair is plenty to have speakers that are loud enough to hear at the end of a wakeboard line. Probably not the loudest guy at the party cove, but definitely way more than loud enough for personal listening, surfing, wakeboarding, and getting music to the kids so they can dance on the tube.

IIRC the factory runs the rockford 500.2 for two pair of Rev8s. That should be a pretty good/decent match for the Rev8s. The 8s can probably take a little more power, but changing up your amps is not going to significantly change output. If you go to 10s you will need to get a different amp too.

Edited by shawndoggy

Where is the high pass crossover set on your existing speakers?

Good question. If you don't remove the stickers on the OEM amps, who knows what they are set on. Granted it will void the warranty, but my factory set and sealed bass amp was set on HP, my towers were set on AP and the gains were maxed as I recall. I could of had a computer savvy 7 year old do a better job of setting it up!

So 500 watts total @ 2-ohms driving four Rev8s is lite power for a speaker with a big 2" midbass voice coil. That's 125 watts per each speaker at a 14.4V supply which will diminish 10 to 30% under real operating conditions (all with a lower supply voltage). Maybe just enough for Icon8s. I like the Wetsounds Rev8 with 200 watts each under worse case scenarios. That might be a 300 watt 14.4V rating.

There's no doubt that you would get more output from the Rev10 as compared to the Rev8, even when under-powered and using the factory amplifier. With considerably more surface area, the Rev10 is just more sensitive and louder with any equal power. But the Rev10 would not be performing close to its full potential until you upgrade amplification. So if you do change out speakers you would be compelled to replace the tower amplifier as well.

Maybe how long you intend to keep the boat would be part of the decision.

Since you would likely be increasing the power to the tower for Rev10s, you could take it in steps and see if the increased amplification on the Rev8s would be satisfactory. If not, you were going to make the amplifier change regardless.

On Lake Anna there are prolly 15-20 wakeboats with 4 Rev10 setups. I believe most all of them are powered by different Wetsounds Amps at 300-400w+ Each.

2 pair Revs on Wetsounds Amps is the way to garaunteed commanding loud distortion free sound 80-100ft back, or to drown everyone else out at the sandbar/party cove.

I will tell you also, a single JL HD 750/1 one ONE pair of Rev10s will keep up with them..... Amd sound better/warmer/more balanced than the two pair of Wetsounds powered Rev10s up to about 85% volume, then the two pair pull ahead and bleed ears.

i fought the JL hype for a long time. Listening to them all side by side in numerous configurations.... The JL HD amps are an ideal superior product for Rev10s.

The exception is if you get into powering the Revs with 500w+ ea off Wersounds amps.... That sounds good also at the risk of burning coils and folding cones. Never would happen on the 750/1.

From what I have been reading on here adding another set of Rev-10s isn't really going to get you a noticeable gain in performance over just a single set.

Quite the opposite, actually. 2x the surface area is 2x the output.

Quite the opposite, actually. 2x the surface area is 2x the output.

This. I ran 1 pair of 10's on a syn4 for a season got another pair and another syn 4. Very noticeable difference. A buddy of mine had rev 8's and my 10's would blow his away.

Output as we perceive it is not a linear function.

Doubling the speakers (twice the surface area) is a +3 dB gain, and doubling the amplification power (twice the wattage) while also doubling the speakers sums for a +6 dB total gain.

+6 dB gain is perceived as twice as loud at the lowest frequencies. However, it takes a +10 dB gain to create the perception of twice as loud

through the fullrange band, as it applies to a tower speaker.

So adding a second pair of speakers and a second amplifier is not going to be twice as loud but pretty darn close.

Where is the high pass crossover set on your existing speakers?

Not sure. The system has been tuned and has a pretty decent output as is. I know the factory stickers were removed and the gains have definitely been increased but I don't know to what setting. Boat is currently covered in the garage.

Good question. If you don't remove the stickers on the OEM amps, who knows what they are set on. Granted it will void the warranty, but my factory set and sealed bass amp was set on HP, my towers were set on AP and the gains were maxed as I recall. I could of had a computer savvy 7 year old do a better job of setting it up!

Exactly what I would expect from a manufacturer. They set it like that, then say if you adjust it, it voids a warranty. You'll do more damage with how they have it set.

Centurion adapted this "sealed" amplifier nonsense also... Manufacturers, I tell ya.... If your gonna seal them then they need professionally tuned at the factory after install. This does keep us aftermarket guys in business though :) Jony will prolly agree, we have ways to open the amplifier without them knowing :)

Edited by Truekaotik

Almost all boats come on it but f the factory with equipment that's as cheap as possible, with zero tuning. It's deceiving because the may use wet sounds, but they'll use the xs 65 instead of 650, then they'll use HT amps. Don't get me wrong, those parts have their place, but it's entry level at best and they're still powering speakers by head units.

I ran one pair on a syn4 running 400watts each in my VTX, I've run 2 pair, at 400 watts each, in my LSV and VLX and it's a very noticeable difference in output. Still you need to power and tune them correctly no matter if you go one or two pair to really get the full effect of the rev10s. I haven't had many issues with head room on the G3.2 due to two pair. I guess compared to other towers I frequent, nauttiques, and tiges, the G tower really keeps them out of the way. Friend of mine just put 2 410s on an alpha Z for the boat show I'm looking forward to seeing, but I'm imagining they will make head room non existent on that tower

Friend of mine just put 2 410s on an alpha Z for the boat show I'm looking forward to seeing, but I'm imagining they will make head room non existent on that tower

They put a pair of Rev-10 in the lower OEM spots on that boat also, IIRC?

Man that tower would be super full with that, you already lose a ton of head room wiht rev10s on the alpha z, those 410s are going to really kill it, and then adding rev10s down low would basically cut the cabin in two seating wise

Have another friend who has rev10s on his alpha Z add rev 8s to the gunnels that are removable. only way he could make it work with out killing room in the cabin

Edited by CJAY