Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evidently it's time for a new dock

chris4x4gill2

20151227_123146_zpspl0ds8qt.jpg

Got it back around close to our place and tied off. Ubloated everything we had stored in the closet and the furniture. Bringing the neighbors back to orrow hopefully. Calling around now to get people to come look at it and give estimates on repair.

Glad to see it was not destroyed and is still in good overall condition.
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

From all of the info we have collected, it looks like we are not going to attempt to salvage our dock. Most builders would not attempt the repair and the ones that would, it looks like it is going to be cost prohibitive.

So..... Time for a new dock!

I am going to try and get all of the little things that nagged me about the old dock fixed on this one. Things like a wider stairwell so I can easily carry 2 gas cans down the steps without walking sideways. Positioning the door to the storage closet so it hinges away from the swim deck for easier access, a wider 11ft V front slip for the Malibu.....

That leads me to my current dilemma.... We still want a two slip. The Malibu will have a 11x28 slip with a v front. The other slip will be a standard square front 10 x28 with a 6ft removable section decked at the front to turn it into a 10 x 22 slip. This will give us a bigger deck space under roof (shade).

On the old dock, the Malibu went in the slip closest to the swim deck, essentially in the middle of the dock. With adding the new decked portion, it would make sense to move the larger slip to the outside, away from the swim deck. That would put all of the deck space together (swim deck + 6x10 portion at front of the slip)

Probably the most user friendly setup.... but I keep looking back at the photos above. Notice all of the damage is to the outside finger because it is the upstream side. Makes me hesitant to move the Malibu to that spot. But again, the old dock was 12 years old with no issues until now and the boat was safe in the garage anyway.

So....help talk me into or out of one scenario or the other.

That's Lake Dunlap but actually it's the Guadalupe River with a small croncrete dam to create a small lake. While it sucks to see boats go over, this river floods almost yearly but catastrophic flooding happens every handful of years so these home owners buy their property knowing the river will flood and rise 10-20 feet in a couple hours. The dam existed before the houses did so I don't see a problem. This year flooding happened twice though, even washing away RV's from an RV park. In my opinion and if I had a home on Lake Dunlap I would take my boat off the lake if this was my weekend lake house or if there's a large rain event forecasted (which is only a few times a year in our area). People will probably say it's a pain in the butt to remove the boat after every weekend or if a high percentage of rain is predicted for a couple days. I don't see this as an inconvenience, I see it as lazy. This is just my opinion and people will have theirs.

why would any insurance company insure a boat on this lake if this is a common occurrence?

Not my lake. I don't know what or where that is.

Noone have an opinion ony post above? Thought you guys were all about spending someone else's money for them.

• Like 1

New dock discussion...

Would you get any better weather protection in one slip vs the other? If not, then move it to the outside, away from where I'll be drinking this summer. :p

Also, I wouldn't worry about this happening again, so don't let that sway your choice. I've talked to people that have been on this lake since almost around the time it was flooded, and they've never seen anything like this.

I think it was a once in a generation type thing.

Sun protection is why I have it in the inside slip now. I would probably try to get them to modify the roof to give me greater shade if I move it to the outside. I cover the back half of the boat almost to the water line as it is now.

I use a 90% light blocking tarp on three sides of my boat when I'm away for the week. Couple advantages over the 'blue tarp'. Its more flexible and it allows the breeze to pass through it, but still blocks 90% of UV (you can also buy 50, 70, etc..) I fasten it across the top and run a steel cable through the grommets down the sides. When I get there I just lift it up and velcro it and its 100% out of the way. Remove the velcro and it falls in place. The cables are so that you don't have to secure the bottom and sides and to prevent it from flapping. Here is the website but you can also get them on amazon. 8x24 on my sides and a 10x12 on the back. They are basically landscape tarps to cover loads and such.

http://www.mightytarps.com/

Those are a good option. Right now I have two drop cloths that I drape over the side of the back half so that they hang down to the bottom of the boat. I then put the cover on and it holds them in place just fine.

The position of the dock is with the slip opening facing NE. So the upstream side will see morning sun and be shaded from the afternoon sun. Might be a non or minor issue.

So.... anyone want to comment on the layout ?

I use a 90% light blocking tarp on three sides of my boat when I'm away for the week. Couple advantages over the 'blue tarp'. Its more flexible and it allows the breeze to pass through it, but still blocks 90% of UV (you can also buy 50, 70, etc..) I fasten it across the top and run a steel cable through the grommets down the sides. When I get there I just lift it up and velcro it and its 100% out of the way. Remove the velcro and it falls in place. The cables are so that you don't have to secure the bottom and sides and to prevent it from flapping. Here is the website but you can also get them on amazon. 8x24 on my sides and a 10x12 on the back. They are basically landscape tarps to cover loads and such.

http://www.mightytarps.com/

That's what's up. Great idea with the steel cable.

Would you mind taking some pics of your setup when you go out there next? I'd love to see the details of it so I can picture it a little better.

Chris - I like the idea of the v'd front, move the Bu to the outside, then slide a platform over the center one for more "underneath room." Do you use the top deck often? Or mostly stay down below?

Was it much extra to get the V?

I'm leaning more and more toward swapping the slip positions from the drawing above.

We use the top deck a good bit. Especially at night. Plus the grill is up there. Durin g the day people mostly want to stat on the swim deck.

I was in the process of getting the old slip "V'd" in before the damage. Was going to run about $400 for someone to come do it. I think it's going to be cheaper doing it during initial build. I think it will give me some good usable walking space from what was otherwise just wasted space there at the front of the slip.

Will you get that much more sun on the outside one? The overhangs are about the same on each side though, correct?

If you don't really get any more sun, and the overhang's are the same - go for it.

That extra shaded space is a good idea, and I bet it would get used a lot.

I've been looking at the sun track for Aug, It will probably get less sun than it did before. We are going to work up another sketch tonight or tomorrow and meet with the builder next week.

We also have to meet with the Shoreline Inspector from AL Power. Hopefully we can talk them into allowing the same variances we had on the old dock. Since we lost the walkway we lost our grandfathered status.

Will you get that much more sun on the outside one? The overhangs are about the same on each side though, correct?

If you don't really get any more sun, and the overhang's are the same - go for it.

That extra shaded space is a good idea, and I bet it would get used a lot.

Doesn't it just create a larger walkway? At least that is how it appears to me. Are people going to really sit there?

in all it would be a shaded 14 x 18 ft space right next to the swim deck. Likely with a ceiling fan. I can see it getting used, especially with small children or the grandparents during the summer.

If not, then yea, its a big walkway.

• Like 2

hey Chris, my grandpa had a dock with a similar layout with that big shaded area. We had one of those nice Costco picnic tables there for people to sit, have snacks, play card games and all. It is a great hang out spot for people trying to get out of the sun, if your family is anything like ours it will be very useful!

• Like 2

in all it would be a shaded 14 x 18 ft space right next to the swim deck. Likely with a ceiling fan. I can see it getting used, especially with small children or the grandparents during the summer.

If not, then yea, its a big walkway.

I just like the idea of the boat in the middle, preventing the elements (rain and sun) from beating on the boat. It is also nice to have a larger area on one side of the boat for loading (instead of 4" on each side). We have a platform on one side of our pier and it is so nice for loading everything on.

Obviously, our set up is not nearly as nice as yours will be but this will give you a reference of what I am referring too.

FAEA7D58-1FB9-4084-A917-E848456603DD_zps

55CB179F-D9E4-4557-8896-4C2E44C89728_zps

Edited by BlknYlwT22