Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Evidently it's time for a new dock

chris4x4gill2

Just got the call from our neighbors that all docks along our stretch of shoreline we're washed away thanks to the storms that came through yesterday and today. Someone up stream broke loose and caused chain reaction taking out everyone down stream.

I'm headed down in the morning to see if I can do anything to salvage or of it's completely gone.

Just got the call from our neighbors that all docks along our stretch of shoreline we're washed away thanks to the storms that came through yesterday and today. Someone up stream broke loose and caused chain reaction taking out everyone down stream.

I'm headed down in the morning to see if I can do anything to salvage or of it's completely gone.

I saw some video of Smith Lake. Is your place there?

Yea, I'm seeing some pretty scary photos and video on facebook, cant get the videos to cross post to here though.

Looked at the lake level chart and it went from 499.5 to 506+ in 6 hours. Its almost to 507 now.

That's a lake? Looks like a river around here.

Sorry to hear that for you but I'm assuming that your lake is really a dammed up river that's prone to flash flooding? Couple of those around here. This year approx 5-7 Malibus went over the 40ft tall dam to get crushed at the bottom during a flood. This video is painful to watch but looks like a Nautique 230 going over

Edited by AJWest

http://youtu.be/2uh4gZcqT4Q

I am curious why no one is doing anything about this?

That's Lake Dunlap but actually it's the Guadalupe River with a small croncrete dam to create a small lake. While it sucks to see boats go over, this river floods almost yearly but catastrophic flooding happens every handful of years so these home owners buy their property knowing the river will flood and rise 10-20 feet in a couple hours. The dam existed before the houses did so I don't see a problem. This year flooding happened twice though, even washing away RV's from an RV park. In my opinion and if I had a home on Lake Dunlap I would take my boat off the lake if this was my weekend lake house or if there's a large rain event forecasted (which is only a few times a year in our area). People will probably say it's a pain in the butt to remove the boat after every weekend or if a high percentage of rain is predicted for a couple days. I don't see this as an inconvenience, I see it as lazy. This is just my opinion and people will have theirs. Edited by AJWest

So if another person's dock lets go and takes yours out, does it go against their insurance?

I assume it would depend on the circumstances... If the dock is covered by the insurer, especially in a case such as this where weather like this has happened on an annual basis, I assume they have that possibility factored into there premiums. If not, it would most likely be covered in an umbrella policy to rid the policy holder of some liability. Since it is very difficult to prove exactly what events lead to each individual loss and what exact order it occurred, I can't say for sure.

If it were a structural failure of the dock unavoidable by the owner of the dock (which in this case seems to be the situation) I believe you would need to have flood insurance (usually flood insurance is NOT a listed peril in property insurance, although sometimes is a required separate policy) for it to be covered in a policy since the damage is caused by an unlisted peril.

If it was a known issue with the dock (difficult for the insurer to prove in this case) causing the dock to break loose, then there may be a liability (umbrella) policy required in order to collect against as property insurance would not cover a known fault in a structure that has foreseeable consequences. Although I am not 100% up to speed on Alabama insurance laws, that is how it works in most other states.

Flood insurance is a tricky subject, but where this is a known issue, you would THINK the homeowners here would have that coverage and EVERYONE should have umbrella coverage considering how cheap it is. Making the issue more complex is the unknown of what is ATTACHED to the docks at the time of the peril. Would be very interesting to see how this is handled, but I am sure there will be a LOT of phone calls between insurance agencies. Maybe some of you who unfortunately may have gone through this multiple times can shed some light on the process.

Flood insurance is only available through the Government. It sounds ok but if you star getting into it well its not good at all. Very limited coverage with max pay outs. If you are in a flood zone then the county, township, city, what ever you live in had to except it and then the cost comes down if you get in at the firs offering. The building requirements then must meed federal standards. And you will be required to have it if you fall into the zoned area. If you do not get in you will likely lose your mortgage. And the cost to a new buyer will be prohibitive. It almost forces a homeowner to buy in. We have been fighting it for years. My home is something like 20 feet over the dam on our lake and the fed's wanted us in the flood plane.

After fighting and having our lake remapped the topo around. The Feds wanted 640 homes in the zone. They were using maps from the 40's with ten foot increments. Our new mapping takes it down to two and five foot increments, witch is the standard today. Now we have something like twenty homes in the flood zone.

Don't know you may find flood insurance through someone like Lloyds of London. This is but a small problem that was being forced on our area. I have not even started getting into some of the fight.

The water rose over 12 feet in less than 24 hours and it's still rising. Add that to the heavy wind storms we had the last few days and several docks came loose, most ended up taking more with them, wich is what happened to ours we think. Our neighbors dock is totaled.

We found ours not too far away. Some damage, but hopefully it's fixable. The walkway and where it attached to the shore are gone.

FB_IMG_1451163058506_zpskjgqm2yf.jpg

2015-12-26%2011.12.12_zpsittpus2s.jpg

Flood insurance is only available through the Government. It sounds ok but if you star getting into it well its not good at all. Very limited coverage with max pay outs. If you are in a flood zone then the county, township, city, what ever you live in had to except it and then the cost comes down if you get in at the firs offering. The building requirements then must meed federal standards. And you will be required to have it if you fall into the zoned area. If you do not get in you will likely lose your mortgage. And the cost to a new buyer will be prohibitive. It almost forces a homeowner to buy in. We have been fighting it for years. My home is something like 20 feet over the dam on our lake and the fed's wanted us in the flood plane.

After fighting and having our lake remapped the topo around. The Feds wanted 640 homes in the zone. They were using maps from the 40's with ten foot increments. Our new mapping takes it down to two and five foot increments, witch is the standard today. Now we have something like twenty homes in the flood zone.

Don't know you may find flood insurance through someone like Lloyds of London. This is but a small problem that was being forced on our area. I have not even started getting into some of the fight.

I agree with you on the issue with flood insurance... Wasn't trying to say flood insurance is some great concept, nor am I saying you were arguing. I was simply trying to walkthrough the options of filing a claim in this situation and which party would be responsible. I see where my wording may have suggested otherwise on purchasing flood insurance from a company (which are backed by the government in flood coverage scenarios)... But my apologies there!

I hope any crew members who had docks/boats on the lake didn't have any major losses or damages, definitely not the time of year you want to be dealing with issues such as these!

20151227_123146_zpspl0ds8qt.jpg

Got it back around close to our place and tied off. Ubloated everything we had stored in the closet and the furniture. Bringing the neighbors back to orrow hopefully. Calling around now to get people to come look at it and give estimates on repair.