Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning rub rails

Christoofar

I did a forum search and came up blank. I bought Ronix trailer guide pads late last season. They have white lettering which leaves nice white streaks on the rub rail. I tried a lightly abrasive (used for fine finishing on furniture) scrub pad, but it didn't have enough to cut it. I don't want to go more abrasive and I'm leery of dumping various solvents to get something to work.

So, short question long, what do you use to remove the white rub marks from your rub rails?

finger nail polish remover, especially the individually packaged wipes

Acetone is what you are looking for. It is available in nail polish remover (small packages) or an industrial package at you favorite big box home improvement store. I have never seen the individual wipes but those would be really cool.

i had the same problem. I used a magic eraser to get them off. It worked well Rub rail stayed glossy. I usually avoid magic erasers but it did the job. Only did it once though because after that I turned my guide post covers inside out. No one has ever noticed they are inside out.

Some how I discovered that chrome polish works. My first Malibu had an all black rub rail and I would use plane turtle wax chrome polish with a paper towel to do spot treatments on scuff marks then go back over it with a cleaner wax. It worked surprising well and did not do any damage.

Looks like you have a 2015 Axis in your profile pic. Did it not come with stainless rub rail? My 2014 A24 came standard with stainless, no option for the old style Axis rub rail. Acetone works with moderate rubbing then follow with a conditioner

Looks like you have a 2015 Axis in your profile pic. Did it not come with stainless rub rail? My 2014 A24 came standard with stainless, no option for the old style Axis rub rail. Acetone works with moderate rubbing then follow with a conditioner

Odd...maybe because its an A20? Came with black rub rail. It is a 2015

That is odd. My 15' T22 has a stainless rub rail. I don't recall noticing a difference on the A20's at my dealers when we were considering purchasing one last year, but I may have just missed that small detail.

And just checked the Axis website...pictures show the A20 having a stainless rub rail...but it is a 16' so maybe they didn't change it until the re-design.

Edited by That Guy

The A20 I test drove prior to ordering my T22 had a black rubrail. We were surprised to see the stainless rail when we took delivery. Please report back with what you find that works well.

Odd...maybe because its an A20? Came with black rub rail. It is a 2015

I'm betting because the A20 hull did not changed until 2016 so the 2015 A20 still had the old rub rail. My A24 was a brandnew hull model in 2014 so I'm guessing that's why Axis went with stainless on it. Same for the new hull model T22 in 2014 and T23 for 2015. The A22 got the new hull in 2015 so that's when it got the stainless rub rail

Edited by AJWest
  • 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem. I used a magic eraser to get them off. It worked well Rub rail stayed glossy. I usually avoid magic erasers but it did the job. Only did it once though because after that I turned my guide post covers inside out. No one has ever noticed they are inside out.

I uised this method as well. Acetone or any chemicals or alcohol seemed to degrade the rubrail. I use the magic eraser w/ a bit of elbow grease and them once done follow it up w/ 303.

• 5 months later...