Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13 vs 14 vs 15

Cmb396

Ok, as fate may have it, I have found 3 boats that I like, one of each year with surfgate. The 13 is a 23, 14 is a 247, and 15 is a Demo'd vlx. All are optioned well, the 23 and 22 have the 400 hp, the 247 has the 555. From a size standpoint, I would rather have the 23. 22 would suit me, but extra space would be nice, same goes for the 247.

What are the pros/cons of each year as far as interior, touchscreen, etc.? Is the vinyl different? Is the PW2 that much better? Surfgate knob worth it? Any opinions and info is appreciated!

15 has the best dash, PW2.

14' 247 has the 1 and done dash. (i have it) its fine

13' has slower surfgate actuators than 14'-15'

out of that grouping id go with the 15 22VLX . I haven't seen many posts and opinions on the 14'-15' 247's to know how it compares. the LSV Has a new hull in 14' so i would be reluctant to go with the 13'

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

15 has the best dash, PW2.

14' 247 has the 1 and done dash. (i have it) its fine

13' has slower surfgate actuators than 14'-15'

out of that grouping id go with the 15 22VLX . I haven't seen many posts and opinions on the 14'-15' 247's to know how it compares. the LSV Has a new hull in 14' so i would be reluctant to go with the 13'

I don't think the 247 got the one an done dash?

I would love to see what a 247 with the 555 could do old hull or not with just an insane about of weight lol

The 14 247 with the 555 is actually the best deal of the 3 based on current price and orig msrp. However, it's the one that concerns me the most. Never been a huge fan of forced induction, and even more weary of it on a boat!

14 247 did not have the one and done dash. It was still the same as the 14 VLX. Just FYI it was the '14 23LSV that received the one and done. The 247 was a really good boat. Handled just as well as the 23. If you wanted space for all with storage, the 247 is awesome. I also felt the bigger boat handled chop better when we had it out. Both would be a great boat, but I would lean toward the 247

Edited by wakebrdr94

The 14 247 with the 555 is actually the best deal of the 3 based on current price and orig msrp. However, it's the one that concerns me the most. Never been a huge fan of forced induction, and even more weary of it on a boat!

Could do the rude blown pun, but I think you need to get a test drive. I have a LSA car, great piece of kit

The new blowers are super reliable

Could do the rude blown pun, but I think you need to get a test drive. I have a LSA car, great piece of kit

The new blowers are super reliable

Not to start a blown, heated conversation (ha, double pun), but I'm very familiar with lsa motors (currently having a modded C6 Z06), and heat soak is what bothers me. Take the ZR1, Zl1 camaro, CTS-V, and even the C7 Z06, all suffer severely from heat soak. When do we all boat? Hot summer days, and with surfing and boarding, you are stressing the engine, then shutting it down to sit and float or beach.

I'm sure the 555 runs insanely awesome, I just have to do some more research on them, and the problem is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there. I wonder if anyone has added meth injection to them to keep coolant temps down? Or if there are any problems with detonation?

As for the one in question, the owner told me that they have had to add coolant several times, and have had several heat temp warnings in the boat. I don't know if that means it has gone into "limp mode" or what? Guess there's just more I need to find out. Unfortunately, it's the middle of winter, and the boat is a 6 hour drive from me.

68LS1, is that a "pro-touring" handle? On a side note, I am just finishing up the suspension and brakes on my 67 rsss camaro pro touring build. Will be running a big block tho just to keep it somewhat nostalgic!! Ha

ahopkins22LSV

Your location is not mentioned however there are a lot of leftover 15 's out there. I well equipped VLX with the 5.7 should be in the low eighties.

Great point. My dealer has quite a few leftover 15's, VLX, LSV, and one 247.

I live in WV. My "closest" dealer, 200 miles away, still wants close to a 100k for a leftover 15 with no trailer! Lol

The 15 vlx that I like, dealer wants 85 for it with 120 hours on it, was thier demo.

I live in WV. My "closest" dealer, 200 miles away, still wants close to a 100k for a leftover 15 with no trailer! Lol

The 15 vlx that I like, dealer wants 85 for it with 120 hours on it, was thier demo.

Sent you a PM

Not to start a blown, heated conversation (ha, double pun), but I'm very familiar with lsa motors (currently having a modded C6 Z06)...

Doesn't that mean you drive an LS7 and not an LSA?

Did you drop a blower on top of your LS7? If so, I'm going to ask for pics... oh, and a youtube video, cuz that sounds pretty freaking delicious!!

Ha, yes, I have an ls7, but no blower. Ls7's have pretty high compression, and you can only safely run about 4-5 lbs of boost. They put down insane numbers tho!

Edelbrock does make roots style blower that sits on top, tho, maybe magnusson as well, they create an insane amount of tq!!

My dealer has a few leftover lsv and vlx's. Pretty sure you could grab one for a great price right now. Definitely worth a call, ask for Derek at Rancho Cordova store, he will take care of you.

http://www.larsonmarine.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4265401

http://www.larsonmarine.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4437991

http://www.larsonmarine.com/m_vehicledetail.asp?pov=4093750

Edited by Fman

Thanks fellas.

Eddie, I missed out on the Orange/grey lsv, that boat was perfect for me, and an insane price! They wouldn't give me much on my trade tho was the hold up. We were pretty close tho. Kicking myself over that one!

I must add there are some issues with buying out of your local territory. Definitely have been some horror stories on here with people price shopping other dealers and then trying to get warranty work performed. Just keep this in mind when looking around.

^yea, I've been told that. I've heard it both ways, from dealers. Some dealers are easier to work with than others. My "local" one, 200 miles away, told me I couldn't have my local certified mechanic even winterize it orbit would good warranty. I'm not pulling my boat 3 1/2 hours just to have it winterized, or minor warranty work done.