Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

24 MXZ Vs. 25 LSV

richs

new to the group, not to boats.

I currently have a '15 Chaparral 264 Sunesta and it is/was my dream boat. I love it.

Then we found wake surfing. The 264 is a yacht capacity boat. Loaded with 14 people and a 1000 lb bag the wake stays the same as it would empty, no matter how much I try to dial it in.

The love for Wake surfing will over take the love for the boat.

I usually have 10 - 12 in the boat 4 adults and the rest 14 years on down. If not wake surfing we like to cruise and find a cove to swimm as well as tube.

If you have experience with the 24 MXZ or the 25 LSV please let me know. Reliability, common fixes/problems, hiccups, positives and negatives, wishes and recommendations, fuel consumption and comfort. Im looking for a newer one probably a '15 or 16.

Thanks in advance

ahopkins22LSV

Both will surf amazing with the right setup. Not a lot of tweaking has been done with the 25LSV but the stock wave is very good at about 11mph wedge 3 clicks up and 800's or more in the back.

Search out Darkside's setup for the 24 MXZ, to say he has it dialed is an understatement.

Both have a ton of space, the MXZ is biased slightly more to the bow than the main cabin. Just depends on what you want. I prefer main cabin space, but kids love a big bow. The 25's bow isn't small bu any means though.

Let me be the guy to say it..... If you are surfing behind your boat that can be very dangerous. You didn't specify if you found surfing behind your boat or another, but the malibus are inboards and the prop is a couple feet up underneath the boat. Surfing behind an I/O can be very dangerous as that pop can be pretty close to exposed back there.

Not preaching, but just a friendly warning if you are not all that familiar with inboards.

Edited by JeffK
  • Like 3

The biggest difference between the two boats as ahopkins mentions is the bow. When looking, think where would majority of your people spend their time in the boat and what fits your needs the best. The 25 LSV is one of the newest redesigns in Malibu's lineup whereas the MXZ is a year out at minimum from a redesign. If you are worried about resale, lean towards the LSV (IMO).

Both boats will create an amazing surf wave and will leave you smiling ear to ear throwing the kids around on a tube behind the boat - even though I do not have experience in this category.

Good luck on your decision, your friends and family will love any choice you make!

• Like 2

The biggest difference between the two boats as ahopkins mentions is the bow. When looking, think where would majority of your people spend their time in the boat and what fits your needs the best. The 25 LSV is one of the newest redesigns in Malibu's lineup whereas the MXZ is a year out at minimum from a redesign. If you are worried about resale, lean towards the LSV (IMO).

Both boats will create an amazing surf wave and will leave you smiling ear to ear throwing the kids around on a tube behind the boat - even though I do not have experience in this category.

Good luck on your decision, your friends and family will love any choice you make!

Either will be a great choice. I would lean towards the 25LSV as I like the look of the traditional bow better. Edited by BamaLSV

Don't have either but I think that these both are fairly comparable, if not identical in most aspects. Which leads to two basic questions 1. Do you prefer the look of one vs the other? 2. Do you prefer more cabin space and a smaller bow or a larger bow area and less cabin space?

Great info guys. I have to say It, yes I have surfed behind my I/O, yes I know the risks. Our prop is tucked in and under the rear swim deck 3 feet.

My boat has the pickle fork bow. For now, my kids and every kid wants to ride on the bow and the adults in the main cabin. So this sounds like the MXZ.

The only experience I have with a Malibu is the 1990 version. I took on water in big chop and hurt everything on my body when it pounded the wave or wake. My Chap is a dream in rough water and I do not feel a thing, how do the MXZ and LSV ride in rough chop?

Also, this may sound like a newbie question, but when I go in reverse on my boat I point the prop where I want to go and there it goes. I heard that on inboards you use prop torque, but I have to believe there is more to it.

ahopkins22LSV

Both will ride OK in chop in comparison to the rest of the Malibu line, and probably the best of the line up other than the new M235. But they will probably suck compared to your current boat. You will still be able to take water over the bow with both boats but it is easily avoidable, but again not as good as you current boat. But, much better than the 1990 Malibu.

The reverse prop torque you have heard of is true. The boat will pull to the right. It takes some getting used to but with some practice you can easily back off the trailer, to a dock, into a slip, ect. You have to use bursts of reverse and forward to slide the boat in the direction you want it to go.

25 ft LSV surf wake is really good and boat is comfortable loaded up with people there is a nice 2015 25 ft LSV for sale @ east coast flight craft I believe the listing is on boat trader . We have surfed multiple people at same time on the LSV

This is a nice problem to have and honestly there is no wrong choice. The biggest benefits to having the big bow is you can divide the kiddos. The bow is so big you can easily get 5-6 kids up there. This allows them to have thier own space, which is great with teens. The other thing the MXZ has the big pickle voids. These are great for stuffing bags of lead in. This allows you to have NO bags exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

We just purchased a 2015 24 MXZ two days ago. Just my opinion, I've owned both traditional bows and pickle forks and I will never go back to a traditional bow.

We just purchased a 2015 24 MXZ two days ago. Just my opinion, I've owned both traditional bows and pickle forks and I will never go back to a traditional bow.

Pics or it didn't happen

Welcome to the crew! As this was your first post, we will let you of with a warning. As long as you post some pics and give us some info about your new family member.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

I heard pickle forks are worst in rough water and take easier water over the bow.

Maybe because you have room for 9 kids in the bow. That's weight pulling the bow down that in the LSV should be in back. And 9 heads in the driver's line of sight. Not ideal in traffic.

We live in an area where we will use a boat in a variety of temps. If it's under about 70 degrees, no one wants to sit in front of the windshield.

Some things to think about when buying a boat.

• Like 2

new to the group, not to boats.

I currently have a '15 Chaparral 264 Sunesta and it is/was my dream boat. I love it.

Then we found wake surfing. The 264 is a yacht capacity boat. Loaded with 14 people and a 1000 lb bag the wake stays the same as it would empty, no matter how much I try to dial it in.

The love for Wake surfing will over take the love for the boat.

I usually have 10 - 12 in the boat 4 adults and the rest 14 years on down. If not wake surfing we like to cruise and find a cove to swimm as well as tube.

If you have experience with the 24 MXZ or the 25 LSV please let me know. Reliability, common fixes/problems, hiccups, positives and negatives, wishes and recommendations, fuel consumption and comfort. Im looking for a newer one probably a '15 or 16.

Thanks in advance

Just got my first real look at the 25 and it is nice. I am a big boat guy, but I must say the m235 is where it is at. I mean the size features and finish of that boat are the best I have seen hands down. I am 6'3" and tower walk through is a huge deal to me and it is equal to the 25. Also no walk through in the 25? What?.. Such a missed opportunity. M235 is the only boat I would buy until the m255 just wait.....

Guess I am on the other side of that. We looked at the M235 at the boat show last night. Even if it was priced similar to the 25 (or my 23), I would still choose the LSV over it. I hate the walk through. Had it on my last boat in the form of a hinged cushion, and we never used it. We spend too much time laying across the back deck to want a walk through.

Went from an A22 to a VLX. We could fit more kids in hte A22, but that was as much due to the Chillax seat that provided a seatback for the middle as anything. I know people do it, and I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I don't let my kids ride in the front unless they are facing forward with their backs against the cushion. I'm just worried about hitting something and tossing them overboard. Don't really see how it could happen, but I remember reading here about a young boy this past Summer riding in a G to whom that happened. So I get no benefit from the picklefork.

Another consideration is that the main area is smaller in the MXZ, as the bow is not only wider, but longer as well, pushing back everything, and taking up more space from the rear seating area.