Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seriously considering a 2015 VLX (need insight)

geogilbert

I guess my overriding question is how is the 2015 VLX with the 350? I am looking at one that is still on a lot and I am wondering how important the bigger engine is.

We definately loar the boat down for wakeboarding. I am assuming I will fill the two rear lockers with 750s at least (what ever will fit) then put a large bag in the bow. My guess is an 1100 triangle.

Top end is of little concern as we are on the river and litterly idol to the ski zone while we fill then ride. So proping down is definately an option.

I would love to hear from anyone that has some experience....

Thanks,

George

I have a 2015 with the 350. 750s in the rear, a 700 triangle in the nose and 100lbs of lead, and have no issues. I use the wedge abd run the same weight for surfing. also using a 1235. With even more nose weight as you are going to run, you'll be fine

• Like 3

I guess my overriding question is how is the 2015 VLX with the 350? I am looking at one that is still on a lot and I am wondering how important the bigger engine is.

We definately loar the boat down for wakeboarding. I am assuming I will fill the two rear lockers with 750s at least (what ever will fit) then put a large bag in the bow. My guess is an 1100 triangle.

Top end is of little concern as we are on the river and litterly idol to the ski zone while we fill then ride. So proping down is definately an option.

I would love to hear from anyone that has some experience....

Thanks,

George

Unless you're using lead, or getting something custom, there isn't a 1100 triangle sack out there. If you calculate the dimensions and multiply by the weight of water:

54" x 54" = 2916 sq. in.

2916 sq. in. / 2 = 1458 sq. in. (it's a triangle, not a square)

1458 sq. in. x 12" = 17496 cu. in. (height, for volume)

17496 cu. in. / 231 cu. in. per US gal = 75.74 US gal

75.74 US gal x 8.3 lbs/gal = 628.642 lbs

There is some expansion, but you're not getting 50% more volume in that sac.

All that said, I've got a 23 LSV with a 350 and the 1235 prop (soon to be a 2315) and run the same weight you describe. The only time I ever had an issue was when I had 12+ people in the boat and someone left the shower on so the bilge flooded with (warm) water. We still got the wakeboarder up, but it took an extra 10-15 seconds and I knew something was wrong. Once the bilge was pumped dry everything was back to normal. The point of all this is that the 350 should be all you need unless you're looking for both high top end (40+) and massive low end torque. Changing the prop is like dropping a gear in a car: you'll still get there, but the engine may be running higher RPMs to accomplish the same task.

ahopkins22LSV

Have a TON of experience behind and driving a T22 which is essentially the same hull and the 350 is fine. We surf with basically the same setup as you. I would second the 2315 prop suggestion.

We don't do much boarding but the lift feature on the 2015+ Malibu's I have driven makes a huge difference as well.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

i am very experienced with the new VLX and definitely recommend you getting one :rockon::biggrin:

I feel we have a spy in the mix. Go back to teamtalk, and keep quiet. I dont want to jinx myself. Although if I can pull this off I'd love to have someone to ride with me to pick it up :biggrin:

I have two props that will be in the garage after the trade a 1235 and a 2079 (14.5 x 12) Id likely try those 1st. Anyone putting a 14.5 diam on these boats. Thoughts on the pros and cons. One of our buddies and I had a discussion that the 15inch appears to give the boat a lot of extra "twist" or torsion if you will.

I have two props that will be in the garage after the trade a 1235 and a 2079 (14.5 x 12) Id likely try those 1st. Anyone putting a 14.5 diam on these boats. Thoughts on the pros and cons. One of our buddies and I had a discussion that the 15inch appears to give the boat a lot of extra "twist" or torsion if you will.

Check this thread for info on props, specifically post #20:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52937-anybody-using-a-2249-on-a-2014-23-lsv-with-ls3/

Unless you're using lead, or getting something custom, there isn't a 1100 triangle sack out there. If you calculate the dimensions and multiply by the weight of water:

54" x 54" = 2916 sq. in.

All that said, I've got a 23 LSV with a 350 and the 1235 prop (soon to be a 2315) and run the same weight you describe. The only time I ever had an issue was when I had 12+ people in the boat and someone left the shower on so the bilge flooded with (warm) water. We still got the wakeboarder up, but it took an extra 10-15 seconds and I knew something was wrong. Once the bilge was pumped dry everything was back to normal. The point of all this is that the 350 should be all you need unless you're looking for both high top end (40+) and massive low end torque. Changing the prop is like dropping a gear in a car: you'll still get there, but the engine may be running higher RPMs to accomplish the same task.

A couple of things. First, it is an equilateral triangle. so is is 1/2XBXH, and H is B/sq rt of 2. So take your answer and divide by 1.41.

Second, and more to the point, sides may be 12" tall, but it will swell and be much thicker in the middle. So that will increase it quite substantially.

i owned a 2014 LSV and own a 2015 VLX. In my exp the wakeboard wake is a little better on the VLX, the surf wake is a little better on the LSV. The VLX handles a lot better than the LSV.

You will have no issues with a 15 powered with a monsoon just has to be prop'd right, we ran 750's plus 4-6 adults with a 2315 and loved it. Just not a fast boat was max 37mph. For 16 you have choice of the three raptors but from what I've heard from our local dealer the 410 raptor offers no performance advantage over the monsoon 350 and its significantly louder, not to mention the crappy vinyl that is being ditched after one year on the 16's.

You will have no issues with a 15 powered with a monsoon just has to be prop'd right, we ran 750's plus 4-6 adults with a 2315 and loved it. Just not a fast boat was max 37mph. For 16 you have choice of the three raptors but from what I've heard from our local dealer the 410 raptor offers no performance advantage over the monsoon 350 and its significantly louder, not to mention the crappy vinyl that is being ditched after one year on the 16's.

First I am reading about crappy vinyl, please elaborate.

54" x 54" = 2916 sq. in.

Check out this thread from last year, it is a great write up on fat sacks and their actual weights. Looks like the Fly High 1000 triangle bow bag fills to 940, the Sumo 650 fills to 880. This thread is why I went with the sumo 900's in my locker because they fill to 1000.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800855

• Like 2

I own a 2015 VLX with the 350 and I am very happy with it so far. It creates a really great surf wave with plenty of length and push. I run 800 lb bags in each locker. 800 lb bag in the nose. Full factory ballast and the 1235 prop. I am in middle Tennessee not sure what the elevation is here. I usually only have 2 to 6 in the boat but that's only cause I don't have a lot of friends... Lol... You'll be pleased with the 350. I thought about doing an upgrade and spoke with my dealer about it. They recommended that the 350 was plenty and they were right.

Check out this thread from last year, it is a great write up on fat sacks and their actual weights. Looks like the Fly High 1000 triangle bow bag fills to 940, the Sumo 650 fills to 880. This thread is why I went with the sumo 900's in my locker because they fill to 1000.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800855

Not that I disagree, but now I want to find a scale. With the lack of water in California I doubt I could do this myself without getting some dirty looks. I'd really like to take the boat to a scale, weigh it, then fill all the ballast and put it on the same scale to see exactly how much weight I'm using.

Now that I think about it, there is a Flying J truck stop about 10 miles from where I keep the boat/launch; The truck stop has a certified scale, now to find out what increments they weigh in and the margin of error (as well as the cost for weighing). The margin of error will be the amount of fuel I use to haul the boat 20 miles round trip...

Not that I disagree, but now I want to find a scale. With the lack of water in California I doubt I could do this myself without getting some dirty looks. I'd really like to take the boat to a scale, weigh it, then fill all the ballast and put it on the same scale to see exactly how much weight I'm using.

Now that I think about it, there is a Flying J truck stop about 10 miles from where I keep the boat/launch; The truck stop has a certified scale, now to find out what increments they weigh in and the margin of error (as well as the cost for weighing). The margin of error will be the amount of fuel I use to haul the boat 20 miles round trip...

Maybe try and fill the ballast tanks at the weighbridge as you would be way over your vehicle's tow rating is suspect

Oh man. LOL your poor trailer tires!

I wouldn't just worry about the tow vehicle rating but the tire ratings, axle ratings, trailer weights and the fact that your boat was never built to support the weight of ballast outside of the water.....yikes.

I would banish that thought forever in your mind :lol:

I tried both of those props and 15 vlx works much better with the 15" props. I don't notice any lean at all from prop tourque. The 15 vlx/350 is a great boat. the 410 raptor vs 350 is really about the 1.75:1 vs the 1.5:1 transmission. It'll move more weight, burn more gas and everyone says it is loud. The wakeboarders love the wake and passengers all love the comfort. we are running 650's rear 200 up front and a 200 lead to tune the wake + the 4 factory ballast tanks. I say go for it.