Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery charger

pknappe

So I installed my new battery charger. Bought a Promariner ProSport 12 which can charge two batteries at the same time. This eliminates the problem of Having your charger hooked up and the battery switch off.

I mounted it on the forward wall of the locker just above the forward most battery. It says not to mount near the battery, but this seemed like the best spot.

The leads from the charger mount very nicely to the two free threaded posts on the batteries. I bought some SO cord and will run it from the battery compartment in front of the observer seat along the bottom of the gunnel to the rear starboard locker. I will drill a 2" hole thru the FRP lip on the aft side of the locker just below the sun lounge door and mount a receptacle where I can plug in my extension cord.

My plan is to leave it plugged in all the time. The charger has an auto maintain and storage reconditioning mode. It does this once a month for three hours.

My boat is covered and I have left the observer door open. The cover has a coupe of vents in the ceiling. My question for the Crew is do you think I can leave the charger on with the cover on. Concerned about build up of hydrogen under the cover.

And before everyone complains about no pictures, I had to button up the cover as I was invaded by a swarm of flying termites. Good thing there is no wood in the boat.

So I installed my new battery charger. Bought a Promariner ProSport 12 which can charge two batteries at the same time. This eliminates the problem of Having your charger hooked up and the battery switch off.

I mounted it on the forward wall of the locker just above the forward most battery. It says not to mount near the battery, but this seemed like the best spot.

The leads from the charger mount very nicely to the two free threaded posts on the batteries. I bought some SO cord and will run it from the battery compartment in front of the observer seat along the bottom of the gunnel to the rear starboard locker. I will drill a 2" hole thru the FRP lip on the aft side of the locker just below the sun lounge door and mount a receptacle where I can plug in my extension cord.

My plan is to leave it plugged in all the time. The charger has an auto maintain and storage reconditioning mode. It does this once a month for three hours.

My boat is covered and I have left the observer door open. The cover has a coupe of vents in the ceiling. My question for the Crew is do you think I can leave the charger on with the cover on. Concerned about build up of hydrogen under the cover.

And before everyone complains about no pictures, I had to button up the cover as I was invaded by a swarm of flying termites. Good thing there is no wood in the boat.

EC7B4600-A36B-46D7-85A1-1A5A2E7227FE_zpsSounds like my set up. This is where I mounted plug. Can reach it from trailer fender and don't have to climb in boat to plug in.

• Like 1

I installed my outlet on the back of the boat, above the swim platform. That way, if I ever drive away with the boat on the trailer and forget to unplug, it just unplugs itself, no damage done.

• Like 3

I have had the same charger going on 5 Years, Same setup as you I leave the door open and the cover on, Never had any issue. I do occasionally stop by and check on it, adding distilled water when necessary. This is a must, they will evaporate a little as they charge, I purchase one of the RV battery easy fill systems, Just plug the hose in and pump the ball until they are full, Really makes easy work with out crawling in there to inspect and fill ea cell as needed,

Thanks. And what would prevent it from being enough?

Really just how fast you want to charge. As a maintainer it makes no difference, if you are killing your batteries by running the stereo with the motor off and want a fast recharge then more amps is better.

Thanks. And what would prevent it from being enough?

I did the 20. The cost difference isn't much.

I've heard there are some other technical reasons not to undersize your charger but I never really researched it.

I can't quite picture your set up, but on my boat I mounted the charger next to the battery switch and spliced it into the switch so I didn't need to run an extra set of wires to the other batteries.

I always leave my boat plugged in and have never had a problem. Too few nice days around here to risk losing a day to a dead battery.

• 3 weeks later...

When attaching the ProMariner Pro Sport 12 Dual Bank charger to the forward wall of the port under dash storage cabinet, can you just screw it to the cabinet wall with wood screws, or use some type of bolt or toggle bolt?

Also does anyone know the type of battery that comes in the 2015 22 VLX; whether it is Flooded, gel or AGM?

If you leave the charger hooked up while the boat is stored on a lift at the Marina, do you need to install an additional Surge Protector between the shore power and the boat to protect the boat electronics from a possible surge or lightning strike at the marina?

I screwed mine using some small SS wood screws. It is a bit of a pain to get them to go but I got it done. I don't think you have to worry about surge protection for the electronics because you can leave the battery switch in the off position, and still charge the batteries. The charger connects directly to the battery terminals, the the Pro Sport 12 has connections for two batteries.

The prosport chargers are awesome! In the summer I charge the batteries after every time out so I know the next time out they will have a full charge. Whenever I am out and going to be sitting for longer than ten minutes I always shut the boat off to conserve gas and can still have the tunes running and or filling ballast so its nice to have two full batteries. In the winter I remove the prosport and both batteries from the boat and take them to my office for storage and connect them to the charger for maintenance. One thing to remember is you will need to add distilled water quite frequently to top off the batteries. best to check the levels every few weeks.

The prosport chargers are awesome! In the summer I charge the batteries after every time out so I know the next time out they will have a full charge. Whenever I am out and going to be sitting for longer than ten minutes I always shut the boat off to conserve gas and can still have the tunes running and or filling ballast so its nice to have two full batteries. In the winter I remove the prosport and both batteries from the boat and take them to my office for storage and connect them to the charger for maintenance. One thing to remember is you will need to add distilled water quite frequently to top off the batteries. best to check the levels every few weeks.

If you are having to add distilled water frequently then you have an issue. There should be no reason to be checking levels in a modern battery unless you are cooking them.

Not sure I would be adding distilled water to a battery, normal filtered water is just fine. Some distilling processes can deionize the water making it useless to put inside a battery. Just a fyi.

Not sure I would be adding distilled water to a battery, normal filtered water is just fine. Some distilling processes can deionize the water making it useless to put inside a battery. Just a fyi.

The big question is..... Where is the water going to begin with. If he is boiling the water out of the batteries, there is probably a problem with the charger.

There should be no need to add water to them like that. I could see having to check and top off every couple years or so, but even then, they shouldn't need much if any.

i mounted mine to the side wall on the inside of the walk thru area. There is a small storage pocket there on the walk - thru, so i drilled and used machine screws. Nice and tight fit and the charger is up and out of the way.

In a hot dry region where the house bank is getting run down and then recharged on a regular basis, I would expect the battery(s) to need topping off more often then the cranking battery other batteries in other regions or that are used differently.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand why most don't just do it right and get some XS power batteries or Kinetic. I had two XS power batteries in my LSV. Could run the stereo all day wide open and it MIGHT drop .05 volts. 4 amps and 14 speakers. Was night and day difference from my deep cycle batteries.

If you are having to add distilled water frequently then you have an issue. There should be no reason to be checking levels in a modern battery unless you are cooking them.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have to add water every two weeks or so to top off the levels. Probably use close to a solo cup of distilled water. I typically run at least one battery down completely each outing then hook it up to charge when I get back to the dock, leaving it plugged in until the next outing. I usually switch to my second battery only when sitting with engine off for 2+ hours leaving battery 1 to start. Both my batteries are deep cycle.

Edited by BlitzedVLX