Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is flake a fad?

Cmb396

Flake was definitely a fad in the late 70's/early 80's. I remember a lot of solid flake Hydrostreams and Glastrons back in the day. It seems to have made a retro comeback for now, but like last time probably won't last that long. In 10 years it will look as dated as a boat with tribal graphics does now. For some reason it's always been cool in the fishing world, but you don't see yachts that sparkle so I guess it's all relative.

• Like 3

Yachts that sparkle!! Lmao! I like the look of it, but it may be one of those things that get old quick! Hard to say how you will feel about something a few years down the road!

THe flake has been around for quite a few years now and still seems pretty popular. If I remember correctly the flake started in 2009 if not 2010 for sure. So we are going on 6 or 7 years of flake. Is that long enough to still be called a fad?

I think this is part of the reason for the premium on flake. If you get a blemish on a standard panel, you repair just that location, if that blemish is in the flake, you have to strip the entire panel, and redo the entire panel.

You are incorrect re: having to strip the entire panel. I've owned 4 bass boats over the years, all had some flake, and two of them had repairs in certain areas. The last one I owned had some light gel damage in the right rear corner. The local glass shop fixed it…even silver flake which is nearly impossible to match (just like silver metallic paint). Was impossible to see where they fixed it and they absolutely did not strip the panel, nor even the area up to the stripes / accents. The bass boat guys beat up their boats in a serious way and they get fixed all the time. Oh, and the cost to fix the flake gel areas was no more than any regular gelcoats I've had touched up.

IMG_1468_zpsee95b893.jpg

• Like 3

You are incorrect re: having to strip the entire panel. I've owned 4 bass boats over the years, all had some flake, and two of them had repairs in certain areas. The last one I owned had some light gel damage in the right rear corner. The local glass shop fixed it…even silver flake which is nearly impossible to match (just like silver metallic paint). Was impossible to see where they fixed it and they absolutely did not strip the panel, nor even the area up to the stripes / accents. The bass boat guys beat up their boats in a serious way and they get fixed all the time. Oh, and the cost to fix the flake gel areas was no more than any regular gelcoats I've had touched up.

IMG_1468_zpsee95b893.jpg

When my 14 needed extensive gel work, they do strip the entire pannel. They replaced roughly 40% of the gel on my 14. The black was spot fix, the flake was grind the entire panel.

Yessir! i got one for Christmas one year. Didn't really have the right bike for it but the purple banana seat was so cool!

Yessir! i got one for Christmas one year. Didn't really have the right bike for it but the purple banana seat was so cool!

And I can tell you, a purple flake boat looks even cooler!

That must be just the way you guy chose to do it then. I have seen flake repaired perfectly without doing the whole panel as well.

Warranty work done by Malibu. They flew a guy to AZ from the factory. They told me it was the only way to get it perfect.

Warranty work done by Malibu. They flew a guy to AZ from the factory. They told me it was the only way to get it perfect.

Might be a regional thing and the local shops available. Farmers Fiberglass outside of St. Louis did the work on my bass boat. i found about them because they do do all the local Malibu, MC, CC, etc warranty work.

I like flake. My Axis has the black hull with red flake. Love it. I get a lot of compliments. Yeah, bass boats have flake, they would look weird without it I guess. Don't really pay much attention to bass boats.