Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram SRT10 Quad Cab as tow/haul/long trip/snow vehicle?

Nitrousbird

2016 6.2L F250 Crewcab 4x4, $30k- yes vinyl seats/floors hand crank windows

2016 6.4L Ram 2500 Crew 4x4, $33k- cloth seats but power windows and locks

I had a work truck as a company vehicle years ago. No way I could buy one. Rubber floors were bad enough - no chance in hell I'm doing the vinyl seats.

Now the 33k Ram 2500...that could be more tolerable, but we are talking 2x my budget after taxes. There do seem to be some cheaper low-option Ram's out there, but I'd really have to drive one and see if I'd like it enough to own one. My father taught me long ago to never buy a vehicle you don't truly like, as you won't take care of it. I fully subscribe to that theory.

I get a kick out of your vehicle threads, it sounds like you always have your mind made up and are just challenging people to find something wrong with your decision? I'm not a dodge fan anyhow, but I cant imagine someone else coming on here and saying they have to pull the pan to adjust the band every 10,000 miles without you telling them how crazy they are to own that vehicle? You are typically pretty vocal about that type of stuff. Have you driven a dodge of that era, to me they just feel/look cheap, not saying they are but being used to a GM like yourself, they just feel alot "different" to me, and most of my GM buddys have the same opinion. I'm sure it doesn't matter what I or others say (and it shouldn't) you will do your homework, drive them, and make your own decision.

I do challenge others to talk me out of things. I'm not set at all on a SRT-10 (I still have plenty of time to think about it - I'm not pulling the trigger until after tax/bonus time regardless). The interior thing is a concern - my hope was the slightly nicer SRT-10 interior would be better.

Titan was another option, though a bit hard to find in quad cab/leather and the interior is a bit dated too. As for the tranny adjustment thing, it looks fairly simply. Do it every 2-3 oil changes. You pull the pan, loosen a lock nut, torque a belt adjuster. I'd imagine it is probably an hour job the first time and less other times. Something I'd only have to do once a year at most.

Get a newer Avalanche with the 6.0l.

You know how hard those are to find. I'd be fine with a 5.3L one. Edited by Nitrousbird

Interesting.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/651409696/overview/

Only the 4 speed tho. Seems like the Avy didn't get the 6 speed till 09? And the 6.0s with 6 speed seem to be trading as escalade prices.

I had a guy rebuild my 4L60E this summer. He added a clutch disc to the pack, and a Vette pressure regulator. Says this will bulletproof it so it's on par with the 4L80E or better. Time will tell. But if it adds $1500 to the cost of a new Av with the 6.0l in it, seems worthwhile. Of course you have to find the truck with the right gears in it too or that will add another $3k to it.

I have yet to use a launch where I would even think about using 4WD, so that's a non issue.

The SRT quad cab was only sold in 05 and 06 so it will either have it or not. Not a deal breaker for me, my right foot is also a functioning traction control.

Only buy the SRT V10 for a toy. Trust me here.....

It tows like my kids plastic tonka truck and although a cool idea in the real world it is nothing more than a toy. Think more viper and less truck.

Good luck

Edited by BamaLSV

How is it that no one has said supercharged Harley edition Ford F150 of the same vintage. Same type of truck as the srt10. Big horse power small everything else. Guaranted to have leather etc. Should be able to find a low mile unit and it will tow better. Just ask a Ford guy. ?

Edited by liljohn

Just buy the SRT and post burnout video's until you blow it up.. I'm a Mopar guy and could not justify one of those trucks. I just cant see myself in a 2wd pickup either. Good luck with the search. I look for new vehicles even when I'm not in the market, shopping is way more fun that actually buying.

• 1 month later...

I think I've given up on the SRT10 idea. I am having trouble getting past the interior and RWD only of them. '06's have a slightly improved interior but are near impossible to find.

Seems the Escalade EXT's, though semi-hard to find, have dropped in price some more. Wife wants me to get that and may contribute a bit to the purchase (as 1/3 of its use is family trips), so that's what I'm shopping for now.