Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram SRT10 Quad Cab as tow/haul/long trip/snow vehicle?

Nitrousbird

I have an '02 Avalanche I bought over 10 years ago. It was a daily driver its first two years (with a ton of miles driven then), but since has been a tow/haul/long trip vehicle. If I could wave a magic "restore to new" wand on it, I'd be happy to drive it another 15 years. I can't find such a wand and I can't trust it as a long trip vehicle anymore. I'm going to run it through the winter (where it will be used on snow days) and then it will be time to replace it.

I like vehicles with a little flair. I like going fast. My 335i spent a few weeks before I had a piggy back on it running 2x stock boost. If I didn't care about a truck bed, I'd be looking at a first gen Cayenne Turbo S.

Trucks are pricey - way worse then when I bought the Avalanche. The SRT10 (quad cab only) is looking pretty sweet. Price is about the same as other trucks of its mileage/vintage. I'm a bit concerned about fuel mileage. The Avalanche runs around 14MPG around town, 18MPG freeway, 9MPG highway towing. If it can do that or a little less I'm happy.

Thoughts? The Dodge interior of that vintage sucks but isn't any worse than my Avalanche's (which is the only year with the pre-updated interior). I'm not in love with 2WD but it has a LSD, so as long as I'm rocking all-seasons and some sand bags I'm not too concerned. I'm sure it tows well.

I want to spend under 20k on a truck with under 100k on the clock. I work on my own stuff so dealer crap isn't a factor.

Quad cabs are all over Autotrader.

I expect to go out of state to find what I want. I drove a few hours to get my BMW, as I needed a 335 with a manual transmission, which meant paying more and driving a distance to find one. It was worth it!

I don't have an issue with traveling to get a vehicle. It's a lot of money, so I better get exactly what I want.

I forgot. Your vehicle threads are a waste of time cuz you've already made up your mind, so what's the point?

I haven't made my mind up AT ALL. Your worthless "spend twice as much for something you don't want/need" suggestion was really helpful. And by helpful, I mean useless.

Imagine this - I'm looking for input on a specific vehicle I'm asking about. My quick google research has seen varied fuel mileage reports (from 10-18 MPG averages). Common issues seem to be power steering and oil lines being crap (but good aftermarket solutions) and transmission needing regular maintenance.

SRT are typically not built for towing, different torque convertor than the standard rams, so check the tow rating. For 20k you should be able to get a 4th gen hemi quad/crew (2009 or newer). I paid 28k brand new for my 09 crew. That will be 10x the truck of an older one.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

What years are you looking at?

I think the SRT10 would be a fun truck if you can find one in the configuration you are looking for. My guess is the trucks you find will likely be low mileage.

Seems like a lot of truck for the money. 2wd would be a deal breaker for me, and although I have no experience with dodge's v10, I could only assume from my ford work truck (smaller v10) that it would get very bad mileage.

Edited by toddthelineman

We get snow but nothing insane. I have snow tires for my BMW but BMW is cheap and thinks a 50k car doesn't deserve a LSD and uses that BS E-diff crap. The whole welded ring gear makes it a $2500 upgrade to go with an LSD and I can't justify it on this car. So therefore snow tires help but she still isn't great.

My Avalanche is 4WD but I don't use it often. It has a locking rear diff - with a LSD I would likely use 4WD a lot less.

Tires don't seem too badly prices for these trucks with a decent variety. I wonder how bad the fuel mileage is real world.

I was thinking wet/steep boat launches. Limited slips get squirrely

I have yet to use a launch where I would even think about using 4WD, so that's a non issue.

Modern trucks have traction control which helps a lot. Something to look at as you are checking out different years of the SRTs.

The SRT quad cab was only sold in 05 and 06 so it will either have it or not. Not a deal breaker for me, my right foot is also a functioning traction control.

I was thinking wet/steep boat launches. Limited slips get squirrely

Never been at a launch that I couldn't pull the boat out of. Oddly enough I have pulled a 4WD Envoy towing a response off a launch a couple times. Weight and wheelbase typically works better than just 4wd.

I have yet to use a launch where I would even think about using 4WD, so that's a non issue.

The SRT quad cab was only sold in 05 and 06 so it will either have it or not. Not a deal breaker for me, my right foot is also a functioning traction control.

Your right foot can independently stop each wheel? Awesome trick

Never been at a launch that I couldn't pull the boat out of. Oddly enough I have pulled a 4WD Envoy towing a response off a launch a couple times. Weight and wheelbase typically works better than just 4wd.

Idk. My dad's 2wd f150 had to get towed up the ramp at Castle Rock about every weekend when I was a kid. And my buddy's harley Davidson f150 has a limited slips and that thing is hilarious! He usually pushes it out with the boat

I've had a handful of times where I was concerned 2wd would not have gotten me up the ramp. That alone has lead me to only purchase 4wd tow vehicles since. YMMV.

My trucks have all been 2wd. If you put some weight in them and have decent tires they are fine in the winter.

I disagree but maybe it depends where you live. My first truck was an open diff 2WD and I got stuck in the dumbest places. Never again. 4WD, limited slip for me...

I disagree but maybe it depends where you live. My first truck was an open diff 2WD and I got stuck in the dumbest places. Never again. 4WD, limited slip for me...

I live in MN and travel to ski areas all over MN, Michigan and Colorado luckily it is always sunny and 80