Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportster rear seat

EdK

I am looking at buying a 2000 Sportster. The only problem is that it does not have a rear seat. Any suggestions on buying one or making one?

ours in the basement. we were always stepping over it, on it. there is more room with out. If anyone sits in the back they sit on a vest with there back on the engine so they can see skier.

I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker, Get a quote for an upholster shop to build one and minus it from the price. Then build your own, it is the simplest seat out there. We take ours out for morning sets and put back in for guests after.

• 8 months later...

I know its been a while since I asked this question but I need a good picture of the back seat of this boat. I'm getting ready to make one and I need a good picture.  Any pictures?

• 2 weeks later...

@EdK:  The rear seat should not be too hard to replicate.  The hard bottom surface usually is a piece of Starboard with a firm, marine, water resistant foam padding glued on then a marine vinyl covering.  I had good luck finding a vinyl match through 'Great Lakes Skipper', they along with other suppliers were willing to send samples for me to compare the match to what is in the boat.  Also assemble with stainless staples if you do the work yourself and put vent holes in the bottom flat panel to allow moisture to escape.  Good luck and have fun.

I also concur with the rest of the posters on rear seat being left out and simply taking up space in its storage location, with that, I would spend a little time thinking on how you use the boat and consider doing something a little different than a simple full width bench unit.  The mod shown by @footndale is cool, the split rear seat options on the new Prostar and CC200 are nice as they offer a better transit to the platform.  Remember constant stepping on the vinyl will accelerate wear of your new project particularly any seams, so a version with a solid walkover option to the platform can help that a lot.  Also, the slalom wake is better w/o a rear seat.

• 1 month later...

I am finally going to build the back seat for my boat.  I would really like a picture of the bottom of the seat.  I need to figure out how much of a riser I need to add so the seat is not setting on the floor of the boat.  Anyone out there have a picture of the bottom of the back seat or the measurements for the seat?

rear_seat_bottom resized.jpgrear seat stringers resized.jpg

On my Echelon LX the seat base is HDPE, with a cushion and uphostery on the top.  On the underside is square stock, about 1.5" on the back and rectangular stock 1.5" x 4" high on the front, all wrapped in carpet.  The taller side goes in front, so that the seat is angled back a few degrees.

On my other Echelon it is the same, but the visible side of the HDPE is also carpeted.

Here are some pictures from a 95 Response.  Looks to be about 3" in the front and 1 1/4" in the back (plus the carpet thickness).  For some reason I thought the Sportster seat was even closer to the floor (if that's possible).  I'm assuming you would just measure from the floor to the bottom of the back seat cushion to see what the maximum thickness of the whole thing should be.  Based on some of the photos above, the Sportster seat does not have to go under the seatback.

20161027_154459.jpg

20161027_154452.jpg

20161027_154446.jpg

Edited by powbmps

My Eurof3 rear seat just has carpet covered plywood for the base that sits on the floor. Looks like above without the 2 strips of square and rect. stock. You could prob make yours whatever height you want if your side and backrest vinyl goes low enough.