Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski set-ups

onamission

I got a chuckle out of the cling-wrap...but hey, it keeps the book dry and the pages from being torn/bent.

The real question for me is: will I understand it enough to justify my monkeying with the fin, and will it help me ski better (or at least not worse).

What bugs me the most is always having to take my wing off to use the calipers for certain measurements. Hopefully the book with give me better measuring techniques.

Edited by DIE2SURF

Not to hijack but in regards to fin setup. Would an amateur benefit from playing with any of these adjustments? I have always steered away from it until my form is good.....or better.

I'm of the opinion that if one understands how their equipment functions, and when making slight adjustments will impact how the equipment will perform (differently), then making adjustments accordingly could be beneficial. As I don't yet fully understand all the different fin adjustments, I don't really monkey with my fin very much. I keep it at stock/mfgr recommended setting and measure every so often to make sure the fin hasn't deviated from those stock settings. That's why I bought the Fin Whispering book.

I believe this also applies to binding placement.

I certainly consider myself an amateur.

Edited by DIE2SURF

@Mack 12 Being able to set your fin and bindings to factory setting and keep them that way is beneficial to all levels skiers. If the ski doesn't feel comfortable, I would start with taking the wing off then adjust your front binding placement then the back before any fin adjustments.

It is always good to have reference material to use to help understand the device you are using, be it a ski, a motorcycle, race car, etc.

As for adjusting the fin, absolutely it offers a benefit to tune it to fit the users particular needs. The benefit of a reference book is to have the details on hopefully not straying off course. Understanding cause and effect can be very powerful.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

One adjustment at a time and very small amounts on the fin. Water temps will change everything. Not everyday so much but spring summer and fall. And as said a good score card so you can go back if needed.

A good technique to make sure you know the starting position is to mark the fin along the ski with a pencil and also scribe a line at the leading and trailing points of the fin on the ski. That way you can put it back where it was if a change does not workmout. As noted also write down the measurements.

This simple device from Ski Doc ,(http://www.theskidoc.com/ski-doc-fin-recorder.htm ), can get you back to starting numbers quick and easy.

The camera mount and fin protector work well too.

Finished the fin whisper, time to check my settling to see how far off my numbers are off.

Edited by onamission