Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toys?

Chisolmdb84

People are different. Some value being able to go to a local shop and talk to the guy, some don't.

Also, I've bought many boards/bindings/ropes from local board shops, online (mainly ebay), just not local to me. Usually in the 75-80% off range.

This

Even if there was a local shop that stocked what I wanted I don't really want or need to talk to anyone at a shop. As it sits the only place around me with a decent selection of skis/equipment is Midwest Mastercraft and I'd have to take a trip to the hood to see them ;) They are the ones who own www.waterski.com but even their online prices are high compared to other sources.

This

Even if there was a local shop that stocked what I wanted I don't really want or need to talk to anyone at a shop. As it sits the only place around me with a decent selection of skis/equipment is Midwest Mastercraft and I'd have to take a trip to the hood to see them ;) They are the ones who own www.waterski.com but even their online prices are high compared to other sources.

Agreed. I'm not going to drive an hour to my local shop every time I need a rope or life vest, just to see some new kid behind the register that I will never develop a relationship with to get a good price. I'd rather have it shipped to my door a day or two later and save 40%.

Then you guys don't know AWS. This is standard behavior. Ask any of the PDX locals. The Seattle folks will say the same about Bake's.

I forgot about this story... I had a Robix Carbon Powertail delaminate last summer. Same deal... I walked out with a new one 5 mins after bringing it back.

This isn't special treatment. It's not like AWS is eating it on these occasions. The broken stuff becomes a warranty claim to Hyperlite, Ronix, etc. Buying local and developing a relationship just makes it all so much easier. Plus I like demo'ing and seeing what I'm buying before paying.

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to discredit their service, like i mentioned i wish i had that type of dealer in my backyard.

I value that type of service that can see beyond the sale at the counter in the moment.

Then you guys don't know AWS. This is standard behavior. Ask any of the PDX locals. The Seattle folks will say the same about Bake's.

I forgot about this story... I had a Robix Carbon Powertail delaminate last summer. Same deal... I walked out with a new one 5 mins after bringing it back.

This isn't special treatment. It's not like AWS is eating it on these occasions. The broken stuff becomes a warranty claim to Hyperlite, Ronix, etc. Buying local and developing a relationship just makes it all so much easier. Plus I like demo'ing and seeing what I'm buying before paying.

The shops around me will not demo boards anymore. If they did, I would buy local even for a slight premium. A satisfaction guarantee is not the same and some online stores offer them as well.

That's a lame shop if it's a kid behind the counter & high prices. Part of the appeal of going to shops like Wiley's, Adrenaline or AWS is the guys running the place. Darren, Mike & Warren know their s*** & usually share whatever the latest and greatest in the industry is. Plus since their so close to the factories, prices are usually pretty competitive. Sometimes I see things in their shop I didn't know I need/want. And I have met a boatload of other riders through them.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Why? What "customer service" do I need with a board? If they rent them, great. Find what I want and buy it the cheapest place possible. This whole dealer experience thing is WAY over rated.

Agree.

Evo.com, the-house.com, I've also used djboardshop which is a eBay seller with great prices.

If you're in Raleigh/Durham, Promarine has a great pro shop and is competitive with EVO. Otherwise, I've had great luck on Evo...especially when their stuff hits clearance. Believe it or not, I've gotten some good deals from Miami Nautique...I guess it's a local dealer with a pretty good online presence.

Edited by Christoofar

Not for me it's not. Here a just a few examples of times my dealer (AWS) has hooked me up over the years.

Your lucky with good retailers near you.

I had the stitching break on a pair of Hylerlite Remix boots once (boat board). Showed my dealer and they said, "go grab another pair." This was two years after the fact... So not only did I walk out with new boots, but they were two model years newer than the ones that ripped.

I was once trying to pull up a particularly big dude on his first attempt at wakeboarding. Like many newbies he was getting pulled under. But he was a strong mofo and would NOT let go of the handle. Ultimately it broke right in half (the aluminum under the suede handle cracked in half). Took it to AWS and they said, "go grab another one."

I was once in the shop looking for a set of combo skis. They asked why. I explained that we'd be on a houseboat for family reunion and my mom wanted to waterski, something she hadn't tried in almost 50 years. Knowing I had no interest in owning or storing a set of beginner combo skis, they grabbed a set and said, "take these and just bring them back when you're done."

As for price, they almost always throw me discounts off their regular price (unless the cashier doesn't know me), and they'll match if I find it cheaper. They regularly run store wide sales (e.g. I recently bought two bottles of Hot Sauce at 40% off), and they have events throughout the year where they bring factory reps and pro riders to the shop, including on-water demo days.

Finally, they have a "performance guarantee" which means if I dont like what I buy I can trade it in on something else.

As you can see, I have absolutely ZERO reason to shop elsewhere.... well, unless I want a Soulcraft or Victoria. Then I have to go across town to another shop run by two standup dudes who let me demo and offer great pricing too.

• Like 1

I was once in the shop looking for a set of combo skis. They asked why. I explained that we'd be on a houseboat for family reunion and my mom wanted to waterski, something she hadn't tried in almost 50 years. Knowing I had no interest in owning or storing a set of beginner combo skis, they grabbed a set and said, "take these and just bring them back when you're done."

Years ago I bought an MC Prostar 205. I told Wiley I had planned to put a tower on it before long. He loaned me a 10' Pole & asked me to come back when I had the cash. Of course I did. And he helped me do the tower install, using his forklift.

• Like 1