Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's not the jet ski's fault

Kalamazoo

Don't know about WA, but in MI it is the law to ride counter clockwise when possible around the lake. It certainly can create unsafe situations if folks are going both ways..

True. In WA its a rule specific to the lake. And not this particular lake. This guy's boat had OR tags so he was apparently not from the area or familiar with local laws.

My dad was pulling me wakeboarding when a jetskier cut in front of him (very close to the bow) then came very close to me. My dad dropped the throttle and told me to get in. He chased down the idiot. As we approached him, my dad (a normally pretty calm guy) screamed "Hey sh!t for brains! Get over here!!" The guy slowly approached while my dad screamed at him about what he did wrong. The guy said "I'm sorry sir" and drove back to his cottage slowly. He happened to be a guest of a family about 4 places down from us!!

My dad was pulling me wakeboarding when a jetskier cut in front of him (very close to the bow) then came very close to me. My dad dropped the throttle and told me to get in. He chased down the idiot. As we approached him, my dad (a normally pretty calm guy) screamed "Hey sh!t for brains! Get over here!!" The guy slowly approached while my dad screamed at him about what he did wrong. The guy said "I'm sorry sir" and drove back to his cottage slowly. He happened to be a guest of a family about 4 places down from us!!

You'll hear the same from me via my tower speakers and microphone. definitely turns heads...

So hypothetical situation..... your pulling a rider northbound at 20 mph. The jetskier heading SE jumps your wake 200' behind your rider, then keeps on going south at 15 - 40 mph. And your going to whip your boat around, accelerate to catch the jetskier & yell at them? All while your rider is on the line??

Don't be obtuse.

In your hypothetical...no, I'm probably not going to confront the jet ski in that situation.

I will reiterate...If I feel you are being dangerous to my rider...we will have a conversation. Don't assume that means to "yell"...adults can have conversations.

True. In WA its a rule specific to the lake. And not this particular lake. This guy's boat had OR tags so he was apparently not from the area or familiar with local laws.

How small are these lakes that require a specific direction?

You can see the PWC wake. He had just turned left (into the wake) before the clip starts. Idiot driver.

Even if he had held course (which he did not), having legal right-of-way does not make it OK to do that.

In WI, you have to take a safety course before (legally) operating a PWC.

That safety course does squat. A 1/2 witted chimp can pass those tests! Just look at the drivers out on the highways and byways, and they have taken a test, showing they are competent to drive!!

Ron White the comedian is spot on.....ya can't fix stupid!!

• Like 1

Don't be obtuse.

In your hypothetical...no, I'm probably not going to confront the jet ski in that situation.

I will reiterate...If I feel you are being dangerous to my rider...we will have a conversation. Don't assume that means to "yell"...adults can have conversations.

I get that. But when people are talking about shooting each other, and usually these confrontations are not just a discussion.... Especially when the guy is hunting me down and driving his boat like an a** to "discuss" this with me.

How small are these lakes that require a specific direction?

Usually pretty small. But not always.

Our lake is 700 acres, no direction rules.

Lake Elsinore in Socal is 3k acres and does have direction rules.

Lake Oswego in the Portland OR area is 420 acres and has direction rules on some parts of it..... Go figure.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I get that. But when people are talking about shooting each other, and usually these confrontations are not just a discussion.... Especially when the guy is hunting me down and driving his boat like an a** to "discuss" this with me.

Lake Oswego in the Portland OR area is 420 acres and has direction rules on some parts of it..... Go figure.

Gotcha, within an hour drive for me are 11 lakes and range from 11 miles long to 60 miles long. Haven't ever had to boat on a small acrage lake yet.

I've read this thread a couple of times and don't see where anyone has talked "about shooting each other".

I personally have never felt the need to carry on our boat. I will say this, however, I'm more worried about that jet ski endangering my rider than I am a responsible gun owner carrying on their boat.

I've read this thread a couple of times and don't see where anyone has talked "about shooting each other".

I personally have never felt the need to carry on our boat. I will say this, however, I'm more worried about that jet ski endangering my rider than I am a responsible gun owner carrying on their boat.

If ya feel a need to carry, ya may want to go to another lake that is more laid back.

Athough there are some lakes that ban alchol out on the water. Now sure how they enforce that, but ya know there is a reason for the ban.

• Like 1

That safety course does squat. A 1/2 witted chimp can pass those tests! Just look at the drivers out on the highways and byways, and they have taken a test, showing they are competent to drive!!

Ron White the comedian is spot on.....ya can't fix stupid!!

I respectfully disagree. If the course does no more than teach right-of-way rules, which it does, then it is of value. If you're unfamiliar with the Wisconsin test, it takes at least 3 hours to complete, is harder than the drivers test, and no chimps I know could pass it.

That's why guests never go out alone on my Waverunners until after they've gotten the safety speech and gone on a checkout ride with someone riding the other Waverunner. Guest is the operative word. People that say they would never drive a boat ("too difficult") for some reason feel that PWC's are toys and easy/safe to operate compared to boats. Not true.

I'm not going to read it for you. My point is made, I'm done.

I respectfully disagree. If the course does no more than teach right-of-way rules, which it does, then it is of value. If you're unfamiliar with the Wisconsin test, it takes at least 3 hours to complete, is harder than the drivers test, and no chimps I know could pass it.

The WA test is stupid easy. It does take 3 hrs, but can be done drinking beer at my neighborhood bar. :Doh:

And it has a lot more to do with boating in coastal waters than inland lakes.

• Like 1

That's why guests never go out alone on my Waverunners until after they've gotten the safety speech and gone on a checkout ride with someone riding the other Waverunner. Guest is the operative word. People that say they would never drive a boat ("too difficult") for some reason feel that PWC's are toys and easy/safe to operate compared to boats. Not true.

Which is a great idea, cause you are responsible/liable for those wave runners!

ANd a good idea to verify who can and can not operate your waverunners!

Just curious, how do the rental places work as far as renting waverunners? I gotta think most wanting to rent a wave runner for a day, does not have that 3 hour cert.? IS there some exclusion?

Our small lake in Ohio is counter clock wise too. Newbies figure it out very quickly. Jet skiers like to run amok and the lake cops have no problem ticketing them for it. I watched as one jet skier got 7 tickets, ha, yes 7. He was having fun up until that point :)

Steve B.

Just curious, how do the rental places work as far as renting waverunners? I gotta think most wanting to rent a wave runner for a day, does not have that 3 hour cert.? IS there some exclusion?

No. But if they get stopped on the water they will get a ticket. It's no different than owning a boat. You don't have to have a boaters card, but if you get safety checked you'll get a ticket.

Lol, that's pretty much what the entire last few pages were discussing. I could go through and quote posts for you but I don't think reading it a third time will help your comprehension.

• Like 1

What is unfathomable to me is how generally frightened a person has to be in order to carry all the time. I mean so bad that you can't even walk from the ramp to fetch the truck without carrying......

I'll take my chances, better than living like a frightened little mouse all the time. That must really wear on the soul, being constantly worried about needing a gun. No thanks.

If it's not fear then what else? Machismo? Only thing I come up with.

Not starting anything here, just something that I REALLY don't get.

Lol, that's pretty much what the entire last few pages were discussing. I could go through and quote posts for you but I don't think reading it a third time will help your comprehension.

So someone who chooses to carry a gun = someone who is planning on "shooting each other"???

What is unfathomable to me is how generally frightened a person has to be in order to carry all the time. I mean so bad that you can't even walk from the ramp to fetch the truck without carrying......

I'll take my chances, better than living like a frightened little mouse all the time. That must really wear on the soul, being constantly worried about needing a gun. No thanks.

If it's not fear then what else? Machismo? Only thing I come up with.

Not starting anything here, just something that I REALLY don't get.

I don't carry all the time, but it is not unusual for me to have a firearm when I am at the lake.

More about being prepared for me than frightened. I have no desire to be a victim or a statistic. And when I am carrying, there really isn't much to be frightened of.

Oswego Lake has a lot of rules... zig zagging all over the place with a tube is apparently not one of them. :dontknow: