Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's not the jet ski's fault

Kalamazoo

I'm taking the play-and-let-play RESPONSIBLY position. No fun sitting still just because there are PWC's around. Just stop, wave, and nicely ask them to keep further away. They probably will.

FWIW, the last two serious injuries on lakes I frequent have been tow boats running over people in the water. One kid lost a leg. Inexperienced, distracted, and/or drunk drivers... Sounds a lot like driving public roads these days!

In Wisconsin, the skier has the right of way.

I have and will continue jump wakes with my stand up jet ski at a safe and reasonable distance Your wake is off limits? Puh--leeze

You might want to check your local laws before going full diva on folks, here. It is not legal to jump wakes in many places, and in others, doing so within a certain distance constitutes reckless operation.

• Like 3

In Wisconsin, the skier has the right of way.

Not that I think this is a bad idea but can you show me where it says this? Not here http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0301.pdf%C2'> Nothing about water sport towing vessels having any special right of way. In fact, towing vessels have special additional responsibilities. No special rights in Coast Guard regs either. Don't think the last line applies to skiers, tubers, etc.:

The term vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver include, but are not limited to:

(i)A vessel engaged in laying, servicing or picking up a navigation mark, submarine cable, or pipeline;

(ii) a vessel engaged in dredging, surveying, or underwater operations;

(iii) a vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions, or cargo while underway;

(iv) a vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;

(v) a vessel engaged in mine clearance operations;

(vi) a vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.

Can you imagine if tuber pulling boats had right of way over everyone? Crazy!

I have and will continue jump wakes with my stand up jet ski at a safe and reasonable distance Your wake is off limits? Puh--leeze

I'm glad lake lice is banned on our local reservoir - to avoid people like you.

I'm just waiting for a story of a PWC rider getting shot (with at least a flare gun) for these stupid antics. Don't endanger my rider - ever - period.

• Like 3

It should be noted that we can't see earlier in the video, but if the jet ski had not turned in a while, the jet skiier had the right of way. Regardless, we're all out for fun, there is no need to get that close to anyone.

You can see his wake, the pwc old guy (not a teenager) is running parallel to the line of the wakeboat. The wakeboat, by looking at the small size of the wake and the wash on both sides is unweighted and going probably 16-18 mph (normal first-time-rider speeds) . The PWC is most likely going way faster than that before he turned. He did not have the right of way. I am just guessing here, but looks like he saw the wakeboat from afar, blasted after it so he could go jump the wake, and made a hard turn right into the rider he did not even see. This is inexcusable.

• Like 2

Sorry, but that comes off as a total attitude issue. Which is completely not needed and dangerous on the water.

Do you head to the lake with that attitude ?

Steve B.

I don't see what's wrong with this statement guys. "Safe and reasonable" may be subjective but as long as they are are at a "safe and reasonable distance" in my eyes, have at it. I also enjoy riding jet skis and my favorite thing to do is to jump wakes. Safe and reasonable is the key.

I don't see what's wrong with this statement guys. "Safe and reasonable" may be subjective but as long as they are are at a "safe and reasonable distance" in my eyes, have at it. I also enjoy riding jet skis and my favorite thing to do is to jump wakes. Safe and reasonable is the key.

Do we need Judge Judy to intervene?

WHat is safe and sane to one, may not be safe and sane to another. Most likely depends if you are in or being pulled by the boat or on the jet ski!

Although if someone were to invent some kinda surface to surface missile to take out jet skiers. Now that would be a money maker!! ha ha

And then the decals for the side of your boat as to the number of "kills" would be hecka cool!

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the jet skiers that ride too close. I keep an airsoft pistol on my boat for those that are way too close. I keep it on there because of a video I saw of a punk talking trash after almost hitting someone riding behind a boat. I looked for the video but I can't find it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the jet skiers that ride too close. I keep an airsoft pistol on my boat for those that are way too close. I keep it on there because of a video I saw of a punk talking trash after almost hitting someone riding behind a boat. I looked for the video but I can't find it.

I can't see the point of having an air soft pistol around. Seems like it would put everyone on your boat in more danger. Think about it. You point an air soft pistol at someone traveling at a high rate of speed and they shoot back with a real gun (which would be easy to justify) they probably won't hit you, but bullets will be spraying all over your boat and passengers.

• Like 1

What you have to realize is that we don't know the person on the jetski. We don't know if they are an idiot, we don't know if they are drunk. That's what brings the zero tolerance. Now a guy that I know has ridden stand ups for years, he doesn't drink but occasionally could do some jumps.... In fact we've talked about a photo op.

The key is: we don't know you we don't trust you.

DO not bring an airsoft pistol to a gun fight!! You may be on the losing side.

Now a flare gun, which is legal to have on the boat, is a mighty frightning thing when looking at the business end....and can wreak havoc on fiberglas products!!

You'd have to see the video for it to even remotely make sense. Kid almost hits rider and then circles back to exchange f bombs with the boat while staying just far enough away to avoid getting jumped on. I hope to never use it in an aggressive manner. We use it for target shooting and warding off aggressive geese in the swim cove too. I have a hand gun on order so I guess I should keep that on board too (don't want to). I know, I know, in this day and age you can't be too careful with unassuming mma practicioners, to thugs or wannabes packing real heat or sue happy folks looking to make a buck but I like the idea of having it on hand. Flame on.

So is running over a skier with your PWC.

I'd rather ( This is just hypothetical and for obvious reasons) run over a skier, cause you can ALWAYS plead stupid and then sue the PWC maker, or even drunk. BUT pull a gun, even an air gun on a lets say deserving and lets say even drunk jet skier, and you're gonna have to be fending off bubba's armourous looks and debonair ways for days and maybe weeks, and that does not even include the spooning afterwards that bubba is soo fond of. In some of the more liberal States, whipping out that bad azz air pistol could get a trip to gitmo.

Because there is no law against being stupid. ANd never will be. Unless you act stupid with a gun, even an air gun!

I spent an hour or more with Denny Kidder one afternoon, and he explained how the "death could occur" stamped on the heel of many ski binders came to be. There is no law against suing someone even if you are acting stupid and drunk. And in most cases the manufacturer will pay. Like the lawsuit against Winnebago:

In November 2000, Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he could not actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago.

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

Not disagreeing with your points necessarily but that Winnebago story is not true.

I know, but it is still a hecka funny story. and in today's world of craziness, it is possible!