Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When a 1235 is almost doing the job....which prop.

Lance B. Johnson

Wakemakers recommends the 2247. ACME recommends a 2249. Crew?

We surf listed and don't need one of the mega props you guys run and in fact the 1235 almost does the trick. Once in a great while (surfing) the prop cavitates and the boat drops speed and the wave gets screwy.....maybe once in 100 pulls. Boat tacks around 3100-3300 while surfing.

I like to keep it modest, I do a lot of lake crossings in the summer.

What does the crew recommend?

The 2249 will work great if you still have lots of extra throttle (i.e. it's just a slippage issue not a "boat is near the limit" issue). If you don't have a lot more throttle left, I'd say 2313. The 2249 is going to feel like a taller prop than the 1235, even though pitch is the same. bigger props are effectively "taller" in real life even at the same pitch. At least in my experience.

Might also check with OJ and see if Eric can tweak something for you custom... like maybe a 945 with a little extra cup.

Definitely want to go 15" tho.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

I have a similar issue as you - currently run a 1235 (14.5 x 14.25 x .105) with similar weight and rpm's. It seems like it just isn't enough some days, especially at altitude.

I was considering a 1615 (14.5 x 13.75 x .105) as a moderate step up, or a 2079 (14.5 x 12.0 x .105) for a more significant step. I'm leaning towards the 1615 because it should still give me a decent cruising speed which I need to maintain.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

The 2249 is the same prop as 1235, just 15" vs 14.5". The extra 1/2" makes a huge difference. Should get you very similar cruising performance, but extra pulling power for surfing/boarding

I had both props on my 2012 VLX. I noticed no extra pulling power and like Shawn mentioned felt like a taller prop. It did drop RPM's a tad when surfing, so might help with your cavitation issue.

• Like 1

You guys are finding the props with more cup drop RPMs more? Is that the consensus?

If thats true then I think the 2249 is the answer. The 2247 could drop the rpm too much.

:plus1: for the 2313. I made the switch from a 1235 last year and couldn't be happier. RPM's went down to 2800-3k surfing and can still do 39 mph if needed.

remind me...

engine?

Weight?

Wedge?

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

You guys are finding the props with more cup drop RPMs more? Is that the consensus?

If thats true then I think the 2249 is the answer. The 2247 could drop the rpm too much.

more cup = lower RPMs, less holeshot, potentially more top end

less cup = higher RPMs, more holeshot, less top end

but vs 1235 you will effectively be putting a "taller" prop on so just be sure the boat can handle it. Personally I'd never move to a 15" prop at the same pitch because it's always going to result in a drop to top speed anyway (just swinging a bigger wheel), and it will also feel "taller" throughout the rev range too.

dropping to a 12 pitched 15 may not even increase rpms at all given that your prop sounds like it's on the verge of slipping at least some of the time. I know IXFE reported that going from 1235 to 2315 (15x12) resulted in lower rpms in his LSV (likely because the 1235 was slipping so much).

2313 is the most conservative of the 15x12, having lots of cup.

• Like 3

more cup = lower RPMs, less holeshot, potentially more top end

less cup = higher RPMs, more holeshot, less top end

but vs 1235 you will effectively be putting a "taller" prop on so just be sure the boat can handle it. Personally I'd never move to a 15" prop at the same pitch because it's always going to result in a drop to top speed anyway (just swinging a bigger wheel), and it will also feel "taller" throughout the rev range too.

dropping to a 12 pitched 15 may not even increase rpms at all given that your prop sounds like it's on the verge of slipping at least some of the time. I know IXFE reported that going from 1235 to 2315 (15x12) resulted in lower rpms in his LSV (likely because the 1235 was slipping so much).

2313 is the most conservative of the 15x12, having lots of cup.

Yup thats the info I was looking for.

Looks like the 2313 falls between the 2249 and the 2315. Sounds like the best choice.

Yup thats the info I was looking for.

Looks like the 2313 falls between the 2249 and the 2315. Sounds like the best choice.

I had a 2313 on my 2006 Vlx and loved it.

I just got a 2419 on my VLX with a 330 monsoon, with 2200lbs over stock ballast, full wedge and 6-8 people I'm getting to 22mph in less than 20 secs, whereas with everything the same and a 1235 I couldn't get over 11mph. I believe top speeds roughly the same as well.

Edited by Diesel86

I ended up running OJ 948, great prop, 15", I can surf and run 3200ish rpms.

Here is data on it I took from last season.

Surfing 11.2 3250 rpms, full mls, wedge two clicks up, 750 in rear lockers and 650 bow bag.

Heavy Ballast plane out 19.4 seconds - 23.5 mph - 900 lockers, 650 bow bag, full mls (wakeboarding)

Full mls ballast, hard tanks only with wedge 8.3 seconds - 23 mph

Cruising rpms:

3500 26 mph

3900 30

4300 33

4800 36

Eric at OJ is great to work with, he will let you demo any of there props. He reminds me of Brian from Exile in stereo world. Eric will take care of you.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

I ended up running OJ 948, great prop, 15", I can surf and run 3200ish rpms.

Here is data on it I took from last season.

Surfing 11.2 3250 rpms, full mls, wedge two clicks up, 750 in rear lockers and 650 bow bag.

Heavy Ballast plane out 19.4 seconds - 23.5 mph - 900 lockers, 650 bow bag, full mls (wakeboarding)

Full mls ballast, hard tanks only with wedge 8.3 seconds - 23 mph

Cruising rpms:

3500 26 mph

3900 30

4300 33

4800 36

Eric at OJ is great to work with, he will let you demo any of there props. He reminds me of Brian from Exile in stereo world. Eric will take care of you.

Man I appreciate all the data! Unfortunately as shawdoggy knows from the cycling threads I am not a data guy. All I know is my boat surfs at 3200 and tops out at 44mph :). So really I've got nothing to compare it to.

Should gain some GPH with a good 15" prop though?

That 1235 is really almost cutting it though. Come to think of it I could surf at 14mph if I wanted. I just want a baby step up I think.

Dropping pitch to get better tq while ballasted will result in higher RPMs which will result in more GPHs.

To get a little more grab and hole shot like you described would be the 2313.

At this point A 2313 is where I'm starting to lean but hoping the bigger prop will translate to less slip and be more efficient. (Read info from Shawn and Nate). I doubt very much I need a 2315 so I would like to keep the best cruising speed I can. It will be interesting to see where RPMs land.

The 2247 sounds like the wrong prop for this application I think wake makers should work on their prop finder a bit eh?

:plus1: for the 2313. I made the switch from a 1235 last year and couldn't be happier. RPM's went down to 2800-3k surfing and can still do 39 mph if needed.

Ditto......dawg turned me on to the 2313 at the end of this past season. Hammerhead weighted total around 3700lbs. Dropped RPM's while surfing, only dropped top speed 2 mph and holds speed on the money. It was a great choice for me!!