Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED light rings

DarkSide

LED light rings  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you sync your light rings

• To interior lights
    • To stereo

So I am bored, and am thinking of adding some LED light rings, similar to what Bunji did a couple years ago http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/49213-rgb-led-speaker-rings-and-cupholder-rings-diy/?hl=%2Bspeaker+%2Brings

My question is what source would you sync them to?

Edited by DarkSide

What exactly do you mean by 'sync'?

The stereo on my boat is almost always on, so the lights would always be on if you did that. But I don't want the interior lights on when I have my LED's shining.

So I vote for putting them on an independent switch.

One of the best installs I have done was some RGB lights that I put on their own controller that can fade with sound, or fade randomly. With a couple of cheap parts off of Ebay, I was able to light up my entire interior and storage compartments for about $75. Having the lights change colors with the beat was a hit for my teenagers.

• Like 3

Just make them easy to turn off because their illegal to have on while you're under way in a lot of states.

Yes. the only 2 lights you can have on when underway is the nav light (red and green) and the white light visible 360 degrees.

tower lights, as per local cops and coast guard (and if Coast Guard, that would be in all 57 States) are also a no no, again when under way. I have been directed to turn off tower lights, by the local sheriffs and then checked with CG as the sheriff said it was a CG thing.

although having watched a few Deadliest Catch(s), not sure how they get away with it, or they are exempt? Kinda hard to catch crabs in the middle of the Bering Sea in the dark! Ya don;t see too many CG boats out in the middle of the Bering Sea! ha ha

Spent 2 summers working in AK fishing....tough way to make a living and an easy way to come back with less than 10 fingers!

And cruise ships are hecka lit up when under way!

Any Coast Guard folks who can elaborate?

There should be aux switches, have them on a dedicated switch, if that is possible...at some point in time, you may not want them on.

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

I was doing an install today on mine. IM using the new XKchrome controller and it has two zones. So the rest of the boat can be on and turn off the towers if a cop ever said to. I have the in boats done, was finishing towers this evening. Should be done with it all tomorrow. Here's a clip of the tower speaker when testing. The controller does other functions, but can sync to music as well

Edited by wakebrdr94