Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater Lights?

Fred4

So, my parents keep asking me what I want for Christmas, and I really can't think of anything. But, I would like to add some blue led lighting to illuminate my wake. I have an 2005 Wakesetter VLX can any of you recommend what lights I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

For you guys with the drain plug light: What do you do with the light when your plug has to be out for trailering? Does it have a quick connect? Tying it up somewhere? I wouldn't want it flopping around back there going down the road.

I keep lights off at night because they attract so many bugs. I've always wanted underwater leds but this is what has kept me from getting them.

I've never seen them attract bugs underwater. But DO attract fish like crazy!

For you guys with the drain plug light: What do you do with the light when your plug has to be out for trailering? Does it have a quick connect? Tying it up somewhere? I wouldn't want it flopping around back there going down the road.

Seems like a quick disconnect could be a problem too. Short leads sitting in bilge water can't be good. And leads long enough to be high & dry could be interesting to hook up in a v-drive.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I like Abyss or Shadow Caster because their lights give a nice bright glow about as close to 180 degrees behind the boat as possible. IMO the ones that shine like a spotlight don't look good.

• Like 1

I keep lights off at night because they attract so many bugs. I've always wanted underwater leds but this is what has kept me from getting them.

under water lights (LEDS) will not attract bugs...they will attract fish though! lots of little fish!

Edited by WINEGRAPEGROWER

Where do you boat? Plays a part because if you're water is muddy/cloudy, LEDs have limited benefits

We boat here in Michigan, out lake can get a cloudy at times, especially when there is a lot of traffic on the water.

I got the 6's for the price point. I did a bunch of research and people seemed really happy with them.

I take it you are pretty happy with them as well? Now that you have them, is there anything you would do differently? Thanks!

I take it you are pretty happy with them as well? Now that you have them, is there anything you would do differently? Thanks!

The 1 and only thing I'd do differently is I would NOT use the template for the install. It was SLIGHTLY off and so I had to turn my lights 45 degrees in the center hole. If I was doing it again I'd mark and drill my center hole, than use the actual light to mark the three mounting holes, which is what I did on the second light and it worked perfectly.

You can see the lettering on the circuit board is not right side up, it reads sideways. No functional issues, just my OCD is mad.

4312D522-B842-4790-A27D-DEA1E58AF978.jpg

Edited by Levi900RR

image_zpsjbsumoin.jpeg

I think they're called the Dagons, I've got one each side, they just barely fit in the standard spot above the exhaust.

I haven't had a chance to see them in the water at night yet so the only downside would be the wiring, because of how bright powerful they are they were blowing the fuse in the standard wiring loom so a relay, fuse and new wiring had to be run.

From memory I think they were 200-250 each.

Can someone post a pic of their light switch install for these puppies? I've been putting this mod off for a while but now I think It'd be kinda fun.

I just used one of my free "ACC" swtiches on the dash. Still need to get a cool custom switch cover...