Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

a FLATTER WAKE on Response Txi?

99maliburesponse

Has any one with success tried to flatten and soften the Wake on the Response TXI and if so what can I do?

Will removing the Wedge help, because I believe it actually drags a bit to cause a difference?

Sure, every boat creates a wake, but the TXI is well known to have one of the flattest and softest wakes in the industry, with many world records to support that. I'm curious to know what you would like to see improved, and how its current wakes are holding you back?

• Like 1

As above, the TXi has the fattest wake in the industry, and speeking from experience , mind you on the floating wedge,

there is absolutely no drag in the water of any sort at water sking speeds. I would imagine the power wedge

wouldn't have any effect ether. Maybe op couldn't chime in here.

I Would think Malibu would have been very very dilegent in the performance of a world leading ski boat when the

design of installing the wedge was entruduced.

ahopkins22LSV

Removing the wedge would help but not due to it dragging, but due to removing it's weight. If it is dragging something is wrong with it. Keep the back seat out, try to keep the gas levels low. Don't store much in the rear trunk.

Some people add 75-150lbs in the bow. I don't notice much wake improvement with weight in the bow, only some added tracking help. Which I don't think it needs much help in that category either.

Other than that there isn't much more you can do other than hull modifications and not sure if you want to road.

And I agree with above, the wake is the best wake I've skied on my TXi. I don't have a wedge and I don't run extra weight in the bow other than storing an anchor and life jackets but I do keep the gas at about half a tank or less and the rear seat some out for slalom sets.

34mph:

image_1.jpeg

• Like 3

I would think the problem is probably more your boat speed, skiing style or body position than the boat, if you are hitting any wake with poor position it will feel way worse than it is. I have skied behind both the TXI and the new Natique 200 and both of those boats have super small and soft wakes. Any of the new tourney boats have world class wakes :thumbup:

Removing the wedge would help but not due to it dragging, but due to removing it's weight.

The floating wedge, which is what I have, is negligible in weight that would put any effects on the wake.

not more weight then a couple gallons of gas, you'd never notice a difference.

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • Like 2

You need a Tantrum... Smallest softest wake I have ever skied and that's why I own one! :biggrin: Has a lot to do with the boat being so light and a great hull.

Edited by solorex

how many folks are typically in the boat when you are out skiing? The cumulative crew weight may be the problem?

and the usual: get rid of all unnecessary gear , maintain 1/2 tankful of gas.

And UWskier's advice...the hover conversion kit! ha ha

What speed and line length are you skiing at where the wake is objectionable? We are assuming you are skiing but the answers may be different if you bare footing long line.

Also how is your technique? If your ski is totally flat and you have poor body position the wake crossings can seem rough even on a TXI.

• Like 1

You need a Tantrum... Smallest softest wake I have ever skied and that's why I own one! :biggrin: Has a lot to do with the boat being so light and a great hull.

You're right, now If only the windshield actually did something... :innocent: and BAM! the sportster is born.

To the OP, if you're having an issue with the wakes then there's something wrong with your form or the boat speed. If it's like an LXi (which this forum tells me that it is), the wake is like butter at speeds over 32 mph. Try shortening the line length to 32 off if you feel so inclined

Edited by jaciche

@99malibu: is your question on the TXI or are you asking about the boat you indicate you own? In either case there are things that can be done to improve the wake. Lighten the boat as much as possible and particularly lighten or remove items in the transom. You will find several smallish items actually add up to make a difference. One other item, make sure you have a properly matched prop as that does have an effect on the wake.

Edited by Woodski

@99malibu: is your question on the TXI or are you asking about the boat you indicate you own? In either case there are things that can be done to improve the wake. Lighten the boat as much as possible and particularly lighten or remove items in the transom. You will find several smallish items actually add up to make a difference. One other item, make sure you have a properly matched prop as that does have an effect on the wake.

going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade made a huge difference on our lake boat.....sooo much you'd swear they were different boats

Thanks for all's Responses.

I am a Hard Core slalom Skier for over 40 yrs now ,Ski @ 34 mph @ 28 and 32 off and know my wakes. Owned a 99 Response, which in my opinion has a better wake than the TXI, My ski partner just purchase a 2015 Nautique and the wake is softer. My 2012 TXI has a noticeable Bump in the center. New electric wedges actually hang down a bit when you push it up from underneath so I have used a strap to keep it up at max height under the Swim step. I pulled my rear seat before I ever even put it in the Water, usually @ most only ski with a total of 3 usually only 2 of us, keep the tank under 1/2 trying to take that noticeable bump out. Had heard thru the Grape vine about Pros getting rid of the Power wedge or not having it at all to improve the wake. I Run a 3 blade ACME factory Prop.

Just thought I would see what the crew might say, that's all!

Not saying its a bad wake, was just a little disappointed coming off my 99 Response. I do know the TXI has about 400 lbs more weight 6" longer etc. My opinion is to lose boat weight and the Pwr Wedge which I don't really use,

I will keep all posted when I remove the Power wedge and give you my take.

Proud to Be a Malibu owner even though my 3 other skiing buddies all now run Nautique's!! (their loss)

Thanks Crew

ahopkins22LSV

I ski behind a TXi with the power wedge too. It shouldn't hang in the water. Have you had it looked at?

Maybe with the power wedge add 100-150lbs of lead in the bow to offset the weight too.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I'm sorry to say that I feel the same way about the TXI. Dock partner has a 15 TXI and the wake on my 05 LXI is better along with the fit and finish Been skiing for 40 years, the last 15 with a front knee that doesn't have a ACL or MCL and I'm very sensitive to wakes also. Out of the 4 tournament boats, I like the Centurian wake the best followed my the Nautique, Malibu and Mastercraft. When your start to look at the rest of the boat the order changes.

Edited by onamission

99malibu I see you are in Bellingham. Where do you ski? Have you been to Bow Lake yet? Maybe you can join us for a Wed eve ski next spring/summer - see how you like the Sportster wake.

Red

If your wedge is hanging a little low you can adjust it. There are bolts on the back that can be adjust the raise it up. The Corner Blades of the wedge should line up with the top of the wedge mount if you run a straight edge along it. Mine was hanging a little low as well and you could lift it up as well.

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

@99malibu: I would totally support your removing the wedge evaluation, not only from the simple aspect of removing unnecessary weight but also eliminating the keel dipping effect which will certainly alter the wake in a detrimental manner at the rope lengths you are using. It most likely creates a small rooster that was common on older boats. As for the softer SN200 wake, you should note the amount of whitewater those boats throw, basically aerated water which is softer. The aerated water in the center of the wake is mainly due to prop choice, I recall OJ props tending to aerate more as also 4 blades can tend to also due. The whitewater on the outer sides is due to outer hull shapes. I will be interested in you findings & have fun playing.

I was going to say ski behind a 21 LSV ....but then I read the rest of the thread. :innocent:

Sounds like you have already done a lot of things to get it smaller. Less weight, and different prop seem to be the ticket. One way to save weight is to bring fuel in gas cans, and leave them on the dock so that you can keep your tank less full. I've heard amazing things about the TXI, but never skied behind one. Your's being a 2012, I wonder if it was an early production model.