Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsounds SD amps

ConnollyCrew

I am looking to upgrade my amps and I am looking at the SD Series. I am looking at running 2 SD2 for the WS high output sub and 2 pair of rev8 towers. Also looking at Running an SD 4 for the in boats which are ws.

Is anyone here running these amps and what is your experience with them? Any and ALL input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerald

Edited by BamaLSV

Power wise, an SD-2 bridged to an XXX is spot on if you are wanting to maintain a symmetrical look on the amp wall.

An SD-2 to 2 pair of 8" HLCDs is going to push them to their potential at 300+ watts rms to each. too much for a single pair.

I would consider the SD-6 for the in-boats. Each main cabin on their own chnl for a potential of 185W rms and then the bow and walkway pairs parallel on the remaining 2 chnls for about 145W to each.

Several reasons to consider the Wetsounds SD series amplifiers would be:

They use a sealed-chassis with a gasketed cover plate over the controls so even in a fresh water environment there is less chance of water damage and corrosion.

All the terminals are down one side which make the installation planning and execution and little neater. And you can get further protection by placing all those terminations/connections along the bottom.

They're fairly large with a lot of heat sink mass. I prefer this approach (which is decidedly more expensive to build) over a dependence on fan-cooling. I don't like pouring moist air over charged circuitry in a marine environment if it can be avoided.

This series of amplifiers was 100% designed by domestic engineering, so it reflects the objectives and priorities of these engineers, which are very different from an Asian platform amplifier. Emphasis is placed on better crossover filters and sound quality performance versus just the pursuit of a power spec used in marketing.

I just installed my SD4 last weekend powering 4 xs-650s and 4 xs-808s and they sound amazing. Running in Stereo at 2ohms giving each speaker 170 watts which is spot on. Loud as hell, clean and crisp. I don't think you can go wrong with this setup. I am running a Syn 4 bridged (Same 400 watts per as the SD2) to my Rev 10s but if I was to make the decision over I would have used an SD2 for the towers also because you can add an additional pair of tower speakers at a later time and not have to change amps.

• Like 1

What MLA said is spot-on, but that's a LOT of power on the in-boats. I think an SD4 in that situation would be best for up to 8 speakers.

Beware of the "pros" who lurk on here and give advice on something they have experience with though, :cheers:

What MLA said is spot-on, but that's a LOT of power on the in-boats. I think an SD4 in that situation would be best for up to 8 speakers.

Beware of the "pros" who lurk on here and give advice on something they have experience with though, :cheers:

I have an SD6 on my factory RF interior speakers, wired just like MLA mentioned. No issue, sounds great.

Also a SD2 on Rev10, and SD2 on an RE 12SXX.

• 3 weeks later...

Power wise, an SD-2 bridged to an XXX is spot on if you are wanting to maintain a symmetrical look on the amp wall.

An SD-2 to 2 pair of 8" HLCDs is going to push them to their potential at 300+ watts rms to each. too much for a single pair.

I would consider the SD-6 for the in-boats. Each main cabin on their own chnl for a potential of 185W rms and then the bow and walkway pairs parallel on the remaining 2 chnls for about 145W to each.

I am looking for amps that I can run hard in the south and not have overheating issues, are these the ones?

Bama,

These amps are super efficient and built like tanks. Ive had no issues punishing them in southern summer heat. Having said that, i put a lot of stock in the matching, setup and tuning, as Ive had equal success with other amps. Any quality amp with good voltage supply, proper mounting, good tuning and an amp/speaker pairing that get you the desired output without having to crank the gains and volume to max, goes a long way.

Agreed with mike. I've run these amps on side by sides, 1 being my own. That's the absolute worst environment ever for electronics. They handled it well. Lots of mud and moisture, rolling down hills, and just plain stupidity. When damn near everything on my maverick was broke, the stereo still played

I'm running my inboats on an SD6, once I got it tuned correctly it sounds phenominal

You fellas running the 2 sd2s and 1 sd6, what is your battery set up? I'm quite likely going to have this exact same setup with 1 pair rev 10s on one sd2, 1 12" xxx sub on the other sd2, and 6 xs 808 in boats (mxz) on the sd6. Just trying to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row with power supply to the system, will be doing a little coving out while the tunes play but not all day ordeals.

2 total batteries or those 2 just for the system? Do you think one srm-24 for the starting and all house loads (because they will only be powered while the boat is running) and one srm-29 (just for stereo system) would be sufficient?

I'm actually running 2 syn 4s, one to each pair of rev 10s, an sd6 to my inboats and a 1500 watt RE amp to my sub. I have a regular cranking battery on channel one of my perko and a bank of two deep cycle batteries on Chanel 2

• Like 1

2 total batteries or those 2 just for the system? Do you think one srm-24 for the starting and all house loads (because they will only be powered while the boat is running) and one srm-29 (just for stereo system) would be sufficient?

Yes depending on how much you play at rest. It's a great start though to see if you need to add, it's simple...

I'm actually running 2 syn 4s, one to each pair of rev 10s, an sd6 to my inboats and a 1500 watt RE amp to my sub. I have a regular cranking battery on channel one of my perko and a bank of two deep cycle batteries on Chanel 2

Do you have a pic of this? I would like to see it as I am trying to sort my setup. 2 questions...

-is the bank setup in parallel?

-how did you handle the accessories that were on battery 2?

Edited by NCSurfing

Bama,

These amps are super efficient and built like tanks. Ive had no issues punishing them in southern summer heat. Having said that, i put a lot of stock in the matching, setup and tuning, as Ive had equal success with other amps. Any quality amp with good voltage supply, proper mounting, good tuning and an amp/speaker pairing that get you the desired output without having to crank the gains and volume to max, goes a long way.

Curious, where do you live?