Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

383 to 320 motor transition

TC_2006_VLX

Hey,

I am looking at switching malibu VLXs, but my main hold up is on motor differences. My current VLX has a 383 hammer head with high alt prop which kicks @$$ and takes names. The one i am potentially looking at has the lil 320 motor in it. Am I going to be disappointed transitioning over to the little motor? If i throw my high alt prop will it be able to hold its own? I live in MN so no altitude issues!

Thanks!

TC

How much weight do you run? I have no experience with the 320 but I know the 340 is more than plenty. I also know that the 325 hp motor in the Moomba/Supra boats is plenty too. It seems to be very similar to the 320 Malibu offers. I'm thinking the only way to know for sure is to try one out with the setup you plan to run and see if it is enough.

For resale most will say you need better. I am a skier with a lite boat but for me the 320 is fine. But I also have no reason that I need to be out of the water in one or two seconds. Three is just fine. I don't know if you are looking at surfing. I also don't concern myself with resale as I will likely have my boat for some time. I wanted the 320 at the time to get away from cats.

I have the 320 in mine and run 3000 lbs. for surfing with the 1235 prop. It does the job, but it would be nice to have more. I'm at sea level for the majority of my boating which helps. When I go on trips to ~4000' elevation, I can really feel the difference.

IMO 320 is not enough for a heavily weighted VLX. have a friend pushing the very limits of what a 320 can get on plane in a VTX

You can re-prop the boat. There is always a trade off...but if having problems getting the boat to plane, I would be calling Acme or OJ and inquiring about a different prop.

I have the LCR 320 HP motor, run about 1800 pounds, wedge down and 5 or 6 people at 1500 feet with a stock prop and we don't have any problems. You will need weight up front for sure.

I will say the motor has been excellent. From what I understand is the LCR was the 340HP Monsoon of prior years. I'm not sure if it's true or not but multiple people have told me that as well as the motor manufacturer when I called. They also said the only difference between the 2 is the LCR doesn't have a knock sensor.

Edited by malibu2004

I frequently surf behind an 09 vride with 3k and a 1235 (no wedge). Seems to work just fine for us at sea level. Wakeboard with stock ballast and a 400 lbs in bow and full wedge.

For resale most will say you need better.

The way the boat has been taken care of is far more important than a motor.

I would also say this about most people. They are totally oblivious to the different motor configurations. I've had 4 or 5 friends buy used/new boats in the last few years and when I ask them what motor they got they have no idea. One of my friends purchased a brand new 2015 LSV and had zero idea what motor was in it or that you had motor options. The boat cost 100 g's.

I'm truly amazed how how little people learn about boats before they buy.

While the LCR has plenty of oomph for that boat, lagging an almost imperceptible 20 HP behind the vaunted Monsoon, I'm afraid that, coming down from the 383, you, in particular, may find it forever lacking.

That said, I have the LCR in my boat, and I've never second guessed. For my purposes, including skiing, wake boarding, and surfing (I'm not a barefooter, or I might be singing a different tune), the LCR has

always delivered great hole shot power and ample top end speed for me and my crew.

I will say the motor has been excellent. From what I understand is the LCR was the 340HP Monsoon of prior years. I'm not sure if it's true or not but multiple people have told me that as well as the motor manufacturer when I called. They also said the only difference between the 2 is the LCR doesn't have a knock sensor.

Interesting. I have an 05 with the Monsoon & have a buddy with an 11 & LCR. The fuel injection systems don't look anything alike. Power is very similar in the two.

One good thing about the LCR over the Hammerhead is it'll use a LOT less oil. Will definitely need to be repropped to haul a full boat.

The way the boat has been taken care of is far more important than a motor.

I would also say this about most people. They are totally oblivious to the different motor configurations. I've had 4 or 5 friends buy used/new boats in the last few years and when I ask them what motor they got they have no idea. One of my friends purchased a brand new 2015 LSV and had zero idea what motor was in it or that you had motor options. The boat cost 100 g's.

I'm truly amazed how how little people learn about boats before they buy.

:plus1:

I ran into an old buddy of mine at the gym summer before last, and after discovering that we both had houses and boats on the same lake, he offered to take me out in his brand-spanking-new X-30 for a little surfing the next time we were both up there.

It was a nice enough boat, but when I casually asked him what engine he had in it, he had absolutely no clue!!!

Hey,

I am looking at switching malibu VLXs, but my main hold up is on motor differences. My current VLX has a 383 hammer head with high alt prop which kicks @$$ and takes names. The one i am potentially looking at has the lil 320 motor in it. Am I going to be disappointed transitioning over to the little motor? If i throw my high alt prop will it be able to hold its own? I live in MN so no altitude issues!

Thanks!

TC

What year VLX are you looking at?

What is your elevation you ride in mostly?

What is your ballast configuration that you will want to use, and how much more do you plan on possibly adding in the future?

Do you make long runs to your ride spot or use the boat to cruise around a lot?

Thanks Dave (wakebrdr94) for the plug. I have a 2011 A22, built off the V25 hull (which is pretty much your 06 VLX hull with the pickle fork added, according to my dealer when I was looking at ordering one. (on a side note, My neighbor had your boat and I put them side by side and they appear identical to the naked eye). I run 4500 lbs right now without wedge at 1400' elevation with my 335 CAT motor. I do not know for sure but I am willing to bet my 335 with CATS is probably the same output as your 320 without CATS, but I do not know for sure. When I was only running 3800 lbs I was able to try out a lot of different props. The ACME 1235 (which should be your "high alt" prop) was one of them and it pulled me very well with that weight set up and a boat full of people. I never got to try to max out that prop with more than 4000 lbs though because I decided to surf it into a pile of rocks in the middle of the lake, so now it is a big expensive wall decoration in my garage. I replaced it with the acme 2315 and have not looked back since. The 2315 only looses 1 mph top speed (40 on my boat) compared to 41 with the 1235. If you look at the link below I have my results from 5 props I tried out over the last few years. The 2315 definitely gets more weight up (when you look at the prop test I did, my ballast configuration changed a lot between the 1235 test and 2315 test, so it is a bad comparison) and does not lose much top speed, weighted rpms are the same between both props as well. I think that with the 2315 on your 320, it will feel about the same as the 1235 on your 383. Someone here has to have the same boat you are looking at weighted the way you want it with the 320....

http://www.axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1598&hilit=prop+test

Edited by JohnnyDefacto

Making big jump from 2006 VLX to 2007 VLX (7xx hours to 150 hours)

Minnesota (so the high alt prop is more for pop)

What is your ballast configuration that you will want to use, and how much more do you plan on possibly adding in the future?

I run 250 piggy backs in the rear compartments along with a 400 sack in the semi front. This is in addition to the 4 built in ballast. i personally hate the wedge so never ride with it down.

I mostly run right next to my place of riding. I have pulled my boat and trailered it across Lake Minnetonka before. I did race around the ozarks this summer with high alt prop and it was miserable, but that lake goes FOREVER.

For me, when selecting a prop, top speed has very little importance. What is important is that it can handle the ballast is use and that when cruising at 30 say mph the engine rpm is reasonable, like 3000 or maybe 3500.

Making big jump from 2006 VLX to 2007 VLX (7xx hours to 150 hours)

Minnesota (so the high alt prop is more for pop)

I run 250 piggy backs in the rear compartments along with a 400 sack in the semi front. This is in addition to the 4 built in ballast. i personally hate the wedge so never ride with it down.

I mostly run right next to my place of riding. I have pulled my boat and trailered it across Lake Minnetonka before. I did race around the ozarks this summer with high alt prop and it was miserable, but that lake goes FOREVER.

Alright, same hull and ballast configuration.

Had to look it up, but Minnesota is low elevation, highest point is eagle mountain at 2300', so you are probably riding around 1000-2000' ??? And with no wedge and your ballast you run, you will have no problem using the same prop. I would stay with the 1235 over the 15" props. First the 1235 can be had for much cheaper (you should pull yours off and stick a cheap prop on your 06 before you sell it, if possible). Second, you are only running 2100 lbs of ballast and no wedge, that 1235 is money for that about of ballast, even with a boat full of people. Top speed of that prop is going to be better than all the 15" props.

Anything in particular the 07 has that your 06 doesn't? It seems like the boat you have may be better. You wouldn't want to downgrade something big

like the motor because the 06 and 07 are basically the same exact boat.

The game plan is to throw my stock prop back on the 06 before sending it to its next owner.

The upgrade is due to the 7xx hours and the vinyl starting to give me troubles on my 06. I finally have everything exactly how I want it on my 06 which is why i waffle back and forth.

I can also buy a 2013 VTX for 45k with surf gates... Thoughts?!

good idea throwing that stock prop on and then you will be able to try out the 1235 with your new boat. As for the VTX, i would def stay with the VLX... unless you were talking about the new 2016 VTX, then that is a tough one to decide. I just got to spend some time driving, pulling, wakeboarding and wake surfing behind one and I am blown away... going to write a review right now.

I am still a die hard wakeboard, but it seems the world has turned its back on boarding and committed to surfing. If i go out with friends/family there is a 99.99% that some1 will want me to which over to surfing for them. Thus, the attractiveness of the tabs so i dont have to fuss with the hassle of switching the VLX weight around.

The game plan is to throw my stock prop back on the 06 before sending it to its next owner.

The upgrade is due to the 7xx hours and the vinyl starting to give me troubles on my 06. I finally have everything exactly how I want it on my 06 which is why i waffle back and forth.

I can also buy a 2013 VTX for 45k with surf gates... Thoughts?!

At that price grab the VTX if you don't go with more then 5 or 6 people.