Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ATF Leak

I have not recently changed the ATF in either the tranny or vdrive reservoir. I did check both levels and both appear to still be full. Recently I found this puddle in the bilge but didn't have enough daylight to inspect much further. Based on the amount and location can anyone shed any possible light on the reason for this?

IMG_0575_zpsbh8z78jt.jpg

IMG_0572_zpsxgqybp0b.jpg

When I first saw that picture I thought it was snow in the bilge. I was like WUUHHHH????

Probably the v-drive shaft seal as stated. Is there a cooler anywhere and the connections leaking?

V-drive fluid is brown (normal oil). That has to come from the trany. When mine started leaking I started with changing the seal on the small drain hole in the bottom of the trans but ended up needing a full seal kit. Pulled it and dropped it of at a car transmission shop to do the job.

I would start by wiping the trans down and then checking the bottom with a mirror the next day.

When I first saw that picture I thought it was snow in the bilge. I was like WUUHHHH????

Probably the v-drive shaft seal as stated. Is there a cooler anywhere and the connections leaking?

I believe all in boards have a trans cooler i would check that and the lines too.

V-drive fluid is brown (normal oil). That has to come from the trany. When mine started leaking I started with changing the seal on the small drain hole in the bottom of the trans but ended up needing a full seal kit. Pulled it and dropped it of at a car transmission shop to do the job.

I would start by wiping the trans down and then checking the bottom with a mirror the next day.

Most of the modern v-drives use ATF not SAE30

• Like 1

Thanks so far guys. Both the tranny and vdrive take ATF so that makes it a little harder to pinpoint. The cooler is back towards the transom, so if it's leaking at one of those fittings then it's traveling a few feet before it leaks off, but I'll check that as well.

I wish I could just do that but alas I'm a TMC'er.

FWIW, I noticed this puddle shortly after we got our first couple nights with freezing temps...

I assume you already checked the dipsticks and don't see pink foam - just nice clean ATF.

I assume you already checked the dipsticks and don't see pink foam - just nice clean ATF.

Yessir, and no noticeable change in level. I've seen the dreaded strawberry milkshake before in my old vRide, still gives me nightmares!!

This will sound really funny, but get a spray can of athletes foot or jock itch that leaves behind a powder residue. Anywhere you have an atf leak the white powder will turn pink. You don't need to spray everywhere, just areas that are suspect.

Your engine must be dry and somewhat warm otherwise the condensation will soak up the powder.

If you don't find the leak at least your engine will be fungus free and smell nice ;)

• Like 2

Hard to see in the video if you actually found fluid around that fitting or just found that the fitting does swivel. The mobility on the fitting is not unusual and may not actually leak just because it moves.

Did you actually find fluid there ? Have you run the boat on the hose to watch that fitting for a leak ?

• Like 1

They usually leak at the crimp, where the rubber meets the metal crimp. If you call Indmar with your engine serial # and/or transmission serial #/model #, they will send you a new hose.

• Like 1

They usually leak at the crimp, where the rubber meets the metal crimp. If you call Indmar with your engine serial # and/or transmission serial #/model #, they will send you a new hose.

True with pretty much any hydraulic hose. Going on a limb here but a lot of hoses can be made at the local napa store. But I am just going with what I see in the pic and on a boat I'm not familiar with.

• Like 1

True Lance, locally we take them to oil filter services in SE Portland and they make them better than stock. OP engine is out of warranty so worth investigating, if engine is in warranty, always go through Indmar.

Lance, your tranny cooler lines are real prone to leaking. Check them from time to time.

• Like 1

Hard to see in the video if you actually found fluid around that fitting or just found that the fitting does swivel. The mobility on the fitting is not unusual and may not actually leak just because it moves.

Did you actually find fluid there ? Have you run the boat on the hose to watch that fitting for a leak ?

No I have not ran it since I winterized. Coincidentally that was just a day or 2 before our first freeze as well so i guess it could have accumulated then. I assume there is no pressure on this line without the motor running?

True Lance, locally we take them to oil filter services in SE Portland and they make them better than stock. OP engine is out of warranty so worth investigating, if engine is in warranty, always go through Indmar.

Lance, your tranny cooler lines are real prone to leaking. Check them from time to time.

Good to know. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Well, it's not the tranny cooler hose, I wrapped an absorbent sheet around the fitting for a few days and it was clean and a puddle of atf in the bilge.  It appears to be leaking right at the bottom near where the tranny bolts up to the engine.  FWIW I did confirm that it's coming from the tranny and not the vdrive, vdrive fluid reads perfect and the tranny fluid barely reads on the dipstick from leaking all winter.  Any other sources where this leak could be coming from?  I'm afraid this might be the first trip to the dealer and I'm probably running out of time to get it back before the season kicks off.

Also, I want to put a pressure tester on it.  Does anyone know if the threads on the dipstick are NPT?  Or what size plug would I need, guessing 1/2"...?  I could but don't want to cut up my original dipstick since they're like $80+ to replace :crazy:  

The last couple of dip sticks I have pulled were press fit in with a collar and an "O" ring of some sort between the collar and the block to seal it. Yours may be different, but I doubt it. If you are referring to the top of the dip stick tube where the dip stick is inserted and screwed into the tube, I am sure those would be NPT.

Edited by wdr