Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX LCD screen

Love2Ride

Has anyone ever replaced this screen? Mine has become hazy after years in the sun and some of the buttons are starting to tear away. I did not find it on bakes and have a feeling it's not an easy thing to install. Anyone have a thought?

I will probably end up calling a dealer and see what they think. But thought I'd check with the crew first!

Thanks all!!

BTW: December 12th and I just re-winterized my boat after two days of riding here in Columbus Ohio!!

Which screen? (picture?!) Are you talking about the main display (top center), the control display (7", bottom right), or the Rockford-Fosgate stereo control (bottom left)? With all the electronics in the boats it's hard to tell what someone is referring to when you just refer to "the screen".

Which screen? (picture?!) Are you talking about the main display (top center), the control display (7", bottom right), or the Rockford-Fosgate stereo control (bottom left)? With all the electronics in the boats it's hard to tell what someone is referring to when you just refer to "the screen".

I am talking about the main screen between the gauges.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+VLX+LCD+Screen&espv=2&biw=1428&bih=749&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7_fjrwdvJAhVCVD4KHUC8A6wQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=malibu+LCD+Screen&imgrc=EwClfBJD-7tehM%3A

716114.jpg

I changed mine out on my vRide a few years back under warranty only to have it back hazy within a year or so, I'm glad I didn't have to pay (guessing) ~300 bones for it. I wonder if some buffing and polish or something like a headlight restore kit might work. But grandude is correct, super simple to install.

716114.jpg

I changed mine out on my vRide a few years back under warranty only to have it back hazy within a year or so, I'm glad I didn't have to pay (guessing) ~300 bones for it. I wonder if some buffing and polish or something like a headlight restore kit might work. But grandude is correct, super simple to install.

Thanks, Nate.

I'm not super worried about the hazing as much as the buttons starting to come off. Would rather not have moisture getting back in there. I have a call into the local dealer, hopefully they'll go easy on me! haha

Please update us on what you find out from the dealer as I would like to replace mine as well. My buttons are fine for now it's just real hazy and my OCD I want a new one but all depends on price wether I can live with it like it is.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I was able to replace the overlay inexpensively. It can be called a film, overlay, or membrane. The dealer had quoted me $600. I opened the dash and recorded the original manufacturer and their part number for the display. I called the manufacturer and it was about $10 for the overlay plus shipping. At that price, I would order more than one in case you mess up installing it. Peel the old one off and stick the new one on. It has an adhesive back. It is a little tricky to get lined up properly. I left mine plugged in while doing it. I unplugged the battery. For each button, there is a little plastic dowel. They pop out easily with the film removed, so take your time and be careful. They are easy to lose. Now, the display looks like new! 

The dash is easy to remove, there is one screw in the top of the chrome bezel. The other two are in the emblem at the bottom of the chrome bezel. All three screw are shown in the video of the first post of the link below.  

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/60760-foggy-uv-damage-display-screen/

Edited by RebesMalibu
Added more information
1 hour ago, RebesMalibu said:

I was able to replace the overlay inexpensively. It can be called a film, overlay, or membrane. The dealer had quoted me $600. I opened the dash and recorded the original manufacturer and their part number for the display. I called the manufacturer and it was about $10 for the overlay plus shipping. At that price, I would order more than one in case you mess up installing it. Peel the old one off and stick the new one on. It has an adhesive back. It is a little tricky to get lined up properly. I left mine plugged in while doing it. I unplugged the battery. For each button, there is a little plastic dowel. They pop out easily with the film removed, so take your time and be careful. They are easy to lose. Now, the display looks like new! 

The dash is easy to remove, there is one screw in the top of the chrome bezel. The other two are in the emblem at the bottom of the chrome bezel. All three screw are shown in the video of the first post of the link below.  

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/60760-foggy-uv-damage-display-screen/

Any chance you can supply the number for the MFG, I've been trying to solve this problem a while a resorted to taping the buttons on :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 5:52 AM, RebesMalibu said:

Yes I second the request for the maufacturer contact info or maybe a link.  Mine is fine right now but for that price I would order a couple for any future issues.

Thanks!

From Rebes:

Medallion instrumentation systems. (800) 828-8127. You should pull apart your dash and get the part number of the display before calling to ensure you get the correct part.

If I can find a replacement (bakes may offer it) I'm definitely going to add a cell phone screen protector as an extra layer of uv protection.

• 1 year later...

On Jun 17, 2020, at 5:39 AM, Janel Gessaman <[email protected]> wrote:

I believe you’re only looking to replace the Overlay screen.

4531-10774-01   (OVERLAY W/BALLAST-MALIBU INFO)

$10.50 ea. Plus shipping, $20.00

I would post a picture of part I received today but this forum does not allow me to post it directly here. Let me know and I will email a picture to you.

Just now, sjaltus said:

I would post a picture of part I received today but this forum does not allow me to post it directly here. Let me know and I will email a picture to you.

pop the picture up on imgbb or imgur

Ordered mine today.  Very quick and easy, for a part I was told by my dealer that could not be ordered.  I really appreciate the post.  I'm sure at one point the instrumentation will go out, but right now it is just the buttons missing and foggy screen.  Thanks again

• 11 months later...

Having the same issue with the screen on my 2007 VTX.  I just called Medallion to order the screen cover and they are out of stock and not sure when they might get them in again.  Not available anywhere else.  

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...