Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 8 or icon 8

Ifinallygota21v

Its basically a question of the Escalade or the CTS-V. Both are top-shelf vehicles, but which one fits your needs and goals best. An HLCD is going to give you the wake range projection, but still sound good near field. The Coaxial is going to give you the best near field sound quality, but a single pair will struggle to give you the narrow focused wake range projection of an HLDC. Two pair with proper wattage would do better, but at that point, I would consider a single pair of the larger Rev-10 for a better all around option. Deeper bass extension and more mid-bass then the Rev-8 or the Icon and that extra bass helps add balance to the powerful compression driver.

• Like 2

The Rev10 is fantastic, the only downside is they can sound a bit harsh, especially in the boat or surfing, that is the nature of the beast. If you have the ability to soften the highs just a little with an eq, then they sound even better.

A bit harsh, but worlds better than the old Pro Series of the past.

I can't agree more with everything above. I've got Rev10's and Icon8's on display side by side and it's unbelievable in difference. Still an apples/oranges comparison though.

Most importantly, find a dealer that has them and listen for yourself.

Ifinally...

The Icon8, as compared to a Rev8, has a smaller midbass voice coil, lighter midbass cone and surround material, and much smaller tweeter. All these things and more contribute to the Icon8 being good for near field listening and working very well with amplification of less power. So in a given system of less power an Icon8 would be the better speaker. It will project at wake range but ultimately won't do so like a properly powered Rev8.

The Rev8 needs and deserves more power but when correctly powered definitely makes a greater statement at wake range.

The Rev series is a much, much smoother HLCD than the early Pro series. So you don't have the contrast in near field listening that you once had in a conventional versus HLCD speaker. The Rev8 is a non-peaky, non-harsh HLCD with a smooth, broad and mild crest through the upper mids/treble region. With a moderate bit of EQ you can flatten it out specifically for near field listening, or even for surf range, where you don't need the ultimate volume and projection. Personally I like the extra capabilities of the Rev8 when properly powered.

I also think like those above that a single pair Rev10 is worth adding to the conversation. You get certain abilities from the combination of greater cone surface area and greater pod displacement that can never be achieved from a smaller speaker. And in contrast to the Rev8, the Rev10 has a slight null in upper mids/treble, with a slight accentuation of the upper highs. This seems to be a very popular voicing for many listeners and a lot of contemporary music mixes.

My plan was rev 10's then I went over budget on the rest of the boat and settled on Rockford m282's. Wrong. Nice speaker but the coaxial wasn't enough. Just ordered a set of rev 10's. For sale slightly used pair of m282's!

Rev10's are the only set of tower speakers needed in today's baller wakeboat. They are well balanced when tuned right (yes I'm speaking to the people that say they are harsh). A $100 more than Rev8's but worth so much more. One pair can be tuned to sound so many different ways, even ran with 200 watts over RMS and no issues (for those who had issues, visit your tuning again please). We have installed so many Rev10's with NO warranty issues after install and they sound as loud and clear as the day they were installed. I am small, local and these have pleased every class of laker I have had the pleasure of doing business for... I like other stuff but to fare and honest, they are in a class of their own being the only 10" HLCD...

Rev10's are the only set of tower speakers needed in today's baller wakeboat. They are well balanced when tuned right (yes I'm speaking to the people that say they are harsh). A $100 more than Rev8's but worth so much more. One pair can be tuned to sound so many different ways, even ran with 200 watts over RMS and no issues (for those who had issues, visit your tuning again please). We have installed so many Rev10's with NO warranty issues after install and they sound as loud and clear as the day they were installed. I am small, local and these have pleased every class of laker I have had the pleasure of doing business for... I like other stuff but to fare and honest, they are in a class of their own being the only 10" HLCD...

Have you run a pair or rev 8s and rev 10s together?

Sorry...was curious how they sound together. I have a set of rev 8s and was going to add another pair however, was wondering if I would be better off with a set of rev 10s..do they blend ok? Wouldn't mind thicker mids/lows for surfing

Edited by NCSurfing

NC,

Nothing wrong with blending the two from a tonal standpoint. Through the middle treble, the soft crest of one almost mirrors the soft null of the other, and the Rev10 certainly offers more midbass emphasis and extension.

The tricky part is this. Even though the specs don't represent a big difference in sensitivity, when side-by-side I hear a big difference in output between an 8" and 10", and definitely including these two speakers in particular. With identical wattage, the Rev10 will dominate and sound just like they are receiving almost double the amplifier power. So ordinarily I would never proceed with this mix from scratch. But in your case you may welcome the Rev10 dominance and the fact that the Rev8 as the smaller speaker becomes less sonically visible. You can also offset this difference to a small degree with placement selection on the tower. Independent amplifier channels will allow you to balance the outputs but then you are minimizing the full potential of the Rev10s. So again, I might allow the Rev10 to dominate if mostly listening at surf range.

Sorry...was curious how they sound together. I have a set of rev 8s and was going to add another pair however, was wondering if I would be better off with a set of rev 10s..do they blend ok? Wouldn't mind thicker mids/lows for surfing

No need to be sorry, it was me not understanding the question. They blend well, especially for the factory guys wanting more, adding another pair of 8's to me would be pointless when they offer tens.. As everyone states here, the mid bass on the 10's can be phenomenal. I would add :)

I can safely and proudly say, I have never been told " man that wasn't worth the extra money"..

Edited by Truekaotik

After reading this I am jonesing to switch to the 10s..... Too bad the factory only offered the 8s... Sucks for me. Lol

Edited by Ronnie
All For Sale ads go in the Classifieds section.

Had the same decision to make(although REV10 vs ICON8). You need to find an active live display(not easy to do but they are around). I had to travel an 1hr 45min but was well worth it. IMO(and I was one who really wanted priority in the boat) there was no contest between the Rev;s vs ICON's(granted it was an 8 vs 10) but the REV's much better sound!