Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spinner board rack issue

svnfightsvn

My spinning/rotating wakeboard rack has a little issue . The button you push to unlock and rotate it keeps getting stuck when pushed in and you can't lock the thing from rotating again . I've taken the rack apart and lubed everything up w/ grease but it still likes to stick when I push the button all the way in . After inspecting the hole that the button shaft and spring sit in, I see noticeable scoring. I can only assume that the button shaft piece is getting stuck up on these. Is there anything I can do?

DEEC4863-9939-4AD0-83F2-757210DDA0A2_zps

C31F14A9-90F7-42BC-85E7-76E21F7A22D8_zps

I'm not at all familiar with racks, but does it hang up even if you take all the load off of it before you try to move the pin? That should help.

Is that a stainless or aluminum part?

The only real cause I can think of for the scoring is that the end of the pin is sharp. Rounding and polishing the ends of the pin should help prevent more scoring. I would try that first, and if it doesn't cure the problem then ream the hole and get a new pin (with rounded and polished ends) to match the hole.

As a last resort, bore it and press a stainless tube into the hole to match the hardness of the pin.

I'm not at all familiar with racks, but does it hang up even if you take all the load off of it before you try to move the pin? That should help.

Is that a stainless or aluminum part?

The only real cause I can think of for the scoring is that the end of the pin is sharp. Rounding and polishing the ends of the pin should help prevent more scoring. I would try that first, and if it doesn't cure the problem then ream the hole and get a new pin (with rounded and polished ends) to match the hole.

As a last resort, bore it and press a stainless tube into the hole to match the hardness of the pin.

Yea even without the spring in it, the pin can get hung up. Is that what you mean? I'm pretty sure that this is rack is aluminum but I could be wrong. I actually think the majority of the scoring is from the spring sitting in the hole which gets compressed every time you push the button to rotate the rack. I suppose I can try to grind down the end of the pin so it slides easier

I guess I'm having trouble picturing how it works from the two photos you posted, but if you have a spring that rubs the side of the hole, then that could cause problems. Be careful if you decide to grind the pin. You don't want to change the diameter, just round the end so that it doesn't have a sharp edge that can cut the bore. Very light grinding at the end followed by a file and maybe a stone might work.

Get a small brake hone at an auto parts store and put it in a cordless drill to get rid of the scoring without removing too much material. Make sure you have a rag below, or better yet, remove the whole assembly to work on it. You don't want to get aluminum dust in the boat, you'll never get it out.

Here's the tool I'm referring to:

post-3087-0-58708800-1450070591_thumb.jp

Thanks. The rack is currently off the boat and disassembled . The second pic shows the rack on the tower just to show folks the button I was referring to. But I took it down and took it all apart and that's when i saw the scoring. So it sounds like the consensus is to somehow file down the end of the button shaft and round it down a bit and perhaps try to get rid of the scoring (or at least try) with some type of bit inside the hole

Mikeo I'm having a hard time picturing now that brake hone works. Would tthe end with the 3 prong looking things somehow go into the hole? I'm not sure that would it... The hole the the pin and spring slide into is only like 1/2"

Fight yes the end with the 3 prongs compress to go in the hole but I'm not sure it will compress that small. Those racks are aluminum and I had same issue on my racks on my Supra years ago. Take some fine sand paper 1000/1500 and wrap it around a pencil or something like wise that will fit in the hole and sand the marks out the hole to smooth it up and then as stated above sand the pin a little to smooth it up and round the end up so its not sharp then use some general grease and lube everything before install and you should be good.