Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear view camera

Ifinallygota21v

I'm almost ready rob complete my order and I'm just finalizing options and wanted to hear your thoughts on rear view camera. I like the idea for using it for surfing. Any thoughts?

I ordered it for my new boat based on dealer recommendation: allows you to see the alignment of the board and rope when pulling up the surfer and let's you know when they fall.

so, more for teaching from what I hear.

If you want to spend the money and like that type of thing it is cool. For me I go with simple on my boat. The mirror works just fine and I can see Most anything I need to see. The one thing that is different, skiing I can feel my rider. And we are also only running well the lake is not busy. I use my mirror much like a car, even when not skiing I am checking to see if I have any traffic in the rear.

It may end up being a novelty feature but I ordered based on my dealer's description of it. It's not an expensive add on and does add some wow factor. Plus, I can turn on the record feature and finally get footage of myself surfing. Somehow we always end up with photos and videos of everyone else but me.. I get no respect!

I added the camera to my '15. It is useful when pulling up a surfer. It is not a replacement for a mirror, but is kind of a cool feature.

Totally agree... I already chuckle when guys say, "What's wrong with the mirror?" or "The mirror is safer."

The camera is not intended to be a replacement for the mirror. It's not an either/or situation. Just another tool for better visibility where the mirror can't (i.e. directly behind the transom).

I like it for my kids who after strapping on the board seem to slide into the water silently. Now I can stop yelling, "Are you in? Are you clear?" before starting the engine and slowly idling out the rope. Or just to be sure nobody is back there after "float/swim time" before firing up the engine and pulling away. I doubt I'll use while they are up and riding.

It's a relatively cheap option. You're already spending $100k. Just add the camera. When you go to resell the boat the next guy will think it's super trick.

Edited by IXFE

It is not expensive and worth the money. Hopefully you will always know if someone is swimming behind the boat, but if it prevents you from backing up when someone is on the swim platform or still in the water, it's worth it.

I added the camera to my '15. It is useful when pulling up a surfer. It is not a replacement for a mirror, but is kind of a cool feature.

Did you add it after the purchase? We should try and find out who actually makes the cameras. Could organize a group buy for probably around 60 bucks. I suspect it's plug and play with the wiring harness.

Did you add it after the purchase? We should try and find out who actually makes the cameras. Could organize a group buy for probably around 60 bucks. I suspect it's plug and play with the wiring harness.

I added mine after, it was not an option in '15. I bought a camera on amazon for $20, then it plugs into the video input inside the glove box. Super easy installation.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/25HayltUrE

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1

I have it on my 22 VLX, and aside from the cool factor, I find it fairly useless. Maybe this is something you can adjust, but the frame rate is very low, so you would never want to record video from it. And when we surf, water always splashes up on it and makes it unusable. Maybe a little Rain-x could fix that. With that said, it is a cheap option relative to the overall cost of the boat, so maybe the cool factor is enough.

I have it on my 22 VLX, and aside from the cool factor, I find it fairly useless. Maybe this is something you can adjust, but the frame rate is very low, so you would never want to record video from it. And when we surf, water always splashes up on it and makes it unusable. Maybe a little Rain-x could fix that. With that said, it is a cheap option relative to the overall cost of the boat, so maybe the cool factor is enough.

I'm surprised it's not mounted on the tower. Could see everything from up there

darkside,

where did you pull your power from for the camera? i like your install. NIce job!

I ran power from the batteries. I was running the video cable, and power cable anyway. I needed power for the relays for my auxiliary fill pumps.

I added mine after, it was not an option in '15. I bought a camera on amazon for $20, then it plugs into the video input inside the glove box. Super easy installation.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/25HayltUrE

Nice link, I may add it next season after reading the feedback, never have used one before. For $20 how can you go wrong. I bet Malibu is charging just a little more than this for the option :-)

Nice link, I may add it next season after reading the feedback, never have used one before. For $20 how can you go wrong. I bet Malibu is charging just a little more than this for the option :-)

That is exactly why I did it, if it was awesome, maybe a better camera, but $20 proof of concept is hard to beat. It works well foreceived what I want, definitely not worth a higher end camera.