Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Better gas hatch opener options 2001vlx

williemon

The gas struts that are used to hold open the hatches, engine cover and the like on my 2001 vlx are weak. Are there more durable gas struts that i could purchase? At least for the engine hatch and observer seat back. Only 250 hrs. Im second owner but im sure those things dont get used anything like my cars hatches that hold up to 365 day multi open/close for 15 plus years wihout weakening. Also, is there a better option to work the "glovebox" lid on the observer dash? The strut there is sacked but its also in the middle and gets in the way.

Those struts are cheap and easy to change. If you have gotten more than a dozen years from them, consider yourself lucky. Amazon sells them also, so you don't even need to go find them.

Also, it may be possible that they live longer on your car because you move them regularly. Dry seals and crud on the shafts can cause leaks that let the gas out.

@wiliimon: the generic or most popular strut brand is SPD, used by most of the industry cars and boats. You might check the base pressure of yours compared to other same applications to make sure they weren't replaced with units of lower pressure, most likely not and simply have lost gas pressure.

When I replaced mine I considered getting some slightly stronger ones so if they lost some force they would still work, but decided against it because the last thing I wanted was the extra force helping open the engine cover while towing. Probably unlikely with the angle they are on when closed but still didn't do it.

Base pressure on most of these is 40 lbs. They are usually 17" extended length. A new 40 lb. strut on the sides and double 40's on the engine hatch will work as intended.

The length of time these things sit in a compressed state is what causes the loss of strength.

is there a better option to work the "glovebox" lid on the observer dash? The strut there is sacked but its also in the middle and gets in the way.

There is.

Take the glove box lid off and move the mounting point so that the gas strut is not so much in the way. I did it.

The only drawback is you will see the original holes in the bottom of the lid. Oh well.

When I replaced mine I considered getting some slightly stronger ones so if they lost some force they would still work, but decided against it because the last thing I wanted was the extra force helping open the engine cover while towing. Probably unlikely with the angle they are on when closed but still didn't do it.

With stronger ones or even the original ones, I highly recommend putting a pin in the engine hatch while towing to make sure it stays closed. All it would take is one good bump going down interstate and that hatch catch the wind and it will be gone. On my '01, there was a place on the port side near the locker hatch that a pin could slide thru and a metal bracket on the engine hatch in the same area. My pin was missing, so I just went to the hardware store and found a bolt.

• Like 1

With stronger ones or even the original ones, I highly recommend putting a pin in the engine hatch while towing to make sure it stays closed. All it would take is one good bump going down interstate and that hatch catch the wind and it will be gone. On my '01, there was a place on the port side near the locker hatch that a pin could slide thru and a metal bracket on the engine hatch in the same area. My pin was missing, so I just went to the hardware store and found a bolt.

Mine has the pin, when towiing sometimes it's in, sometimes it's not.

• 2 weeks later...

speaking of that pin, mine doesn't line up any more. Boat is new to me but I can't get the pin in. I need to put a light inside the engine compartment then close it and try looking down to see which direction it's off.

I was wondering if anyone else has solved this problem already and has an easy solution?

Thanks!