Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Tailgating" System

CoMtnBu

I'm involved with a group at work that puts on events for Employees, BBQ's, parties etc...

I work at a ski area, and the idea to put a sound system in a snowmobile trailer popped into my head.

I got the OK from Boss to go ahead and start working on it.

As of now I've got the following parts and pieces.

Snowmobile Trailer, 30W Solar panel, 5a charge controller, Group 31 commercial battery.

The plan is to have the trailer sit charging with the panel when it's not being used. Most events it will be used 1-2 hours tops, we're looking at 6-10 events a year. If the battery doesn't hold up, I can always snag another from the shop or throw it on the charger.

The two ideas we're kicking around are

A: Marine HU and 4 6.5 or 6x9 speakers.

B: 4 channel amp, with 2 6.5 or 6x9's and a 10-12"

I really don't have much money as we don't have much of a budget for this group. 250.00 is Max

With the $$$ constraints I'm leaning towards Polks DB651 which I've always been told are a great value in a marine speaker.

Also looking at the Polb DB marine rated subs as they fit into my budget.

It looks like Sony, JBL, Kenwood, and MB Quart all have 4x60w amps in the 100-130 range that would work. I know, not a ton of power for a sub, but I would think enough to give a decent low end.

So what else am I missing. Given then thing is going to be living unattended on a ski area for periods of a time, I'm leaving to towards marine amps just to have a bit more protection.

Eventually we may modify the trailer to be towed around behind a bike for summer events.

Any other suggestions.

The Sony head unit that we were discussing on Wakeworld that's rated at 100W per channel is perfect. Real world power is around 45'ish watts per channel. You could get the head unit and 2 pair of speakers for around you're budget. MEX-XB100BT is the part number I think. It also has app remote, so you can control everything through Bluetooth or a wireless remote control that's included. I heard a Scion at CES last year with 4 Sony speakers and that head unit, it was unbelievable for a head unit without an external amp.

It will be hard to build an outdoor audio system of any substance on that budget. So here are a few facts that will help form a system, and, help create realistic expectations.

A lot will depend on how large the speaker cabinets can be and how large of an area you expect to flood with sound.

Some of your challenges are....

Number one, you need all the speaker surface area you can get in an outdoors application. Bigger is so much more effective.

A 6X9" is an infinite baffle speaker intended for trunks and large car/truck doors. So you need to net about 1.0 cu.ft. bare minimum per each speaker, even if limiting the bass production on that speaker.

The fullrange or highpass speakers, whether 6X9" or 6.5", need to be in isolated baffles and separated from the woofer enclosure.

Bass doesn't propagate well when raised off the ground and does poorly in open air. So you need all the acoustic leverage you can get. That usually means having the subwoofer close to the ground, using a larger subwoofer (12" vs. 10"), and using a bass-reflex enclosure which is quite large (approaching 3 cu.ft. external for a 12" driver).

Perhaps most of the above standards won't work out for your project and you will need to make a number of compromises to fit the budget, space, mounting and simplicity. That's understood and okay. But you'll at least know the what is the more ideal approach and can alter your expectations somewhat.

Another option is to look at the JBL or Peavey type of outdoor fullrange speakers. They're using large enough drivers, usually are bass-reflex, are simple speakers to drive (no active crossover), and most important are exceptionally sensitive as compared to automotive & marine speakers so you're power goes much farther and you have greater output and coverage. The JBL & Peavey products won't come close to fitting your budget, but you can get an idea of the product type to find a less expensive alternative or used product.

Here's my tailgating system

Yeti Tundra 65, Badger wheels and handle, 4 Wet sounds sw808s, 1 syn2, rockford pmx2 head unit, 2 12v batteries, on-board charger, and rgb leds. Had about 25 hours of playtime between charges.

20151004_133548_zpsznvgxzoi.jpg

Edited by jonyb

Here's my tailgating system

Yeti Tundra 65, Badger wheels and handle, 4 Wet sounds sw808s, 1 syn2, rockford pmx2 head unit, 2 12v batteries, on-board charger, and rgb leds. Had about 25 hours of playtime between charges.

20151004_133548_zpsznvgxzoi.jpg

That's badA jonyb. You make it or buy it? How's it sound?

I built it. The goal was to be loud, clear, and to play for a long time between charges. Specs are in the first post. The badger wheels are pretty badass too with stainless axles. This was built mostly for marketing because we do boat and sports shows and it makes a great demo. We also take it to hangouts and play in a truck bed. Backyard bbq's, poolside, on the beach, you name it. Totally wireless and long playtime.

That's quite the yeti setup.

I guess my decision really comes down to 4 6.5s or 2 6.5s and a sub.

I could sneak a bit more into anothe budget, but I'd be forced to buy stuff from staples and they don't really sell much, but they surprisingly have some car audio stuff.

It's gonna be Har to get any bass response out of that. I did a BBQ trailer last year with 4 wet soundsxs650s powered by an ht2, with a clarion head unit. It was loud and sounded great, but you're budget isn't even close. You'll honestly be hard pressed to get much on that, especially if you want a sub. I recommend the sony head unit above and 2 pair of quality speakers. 6x9s lIke david suggested or 6.5s. You can use a foam baffle behind them to help with bass response.

Inexpensive head-unit, does not need to be marine if its going in an enclosure trailer. Just get one with BT and USB.

Kicker KB6000 outdoor enclosed speakers mounted to the upper corners of the trailer door.

No amp needed and you can meet the budget and have a decent system.

The self-contained Kicker enclosed speakers with 6.5" midbass and piezo horn tweeter solves a lot of issues.

A larger version would be a single passive Peavey 2-way 15" bass-reflex enclosure with a massive horn tweeter. It would only take one. Sum mono and run a brideged 2-channel amplifier. A demo at Sweetwater is $242.99.

We've built the cooler systems too. Usually a garage sale cooler, a good deep cycle battery, an amp, no head unit, just a BT controller & 2 or 4 speakers. They're great for toobin runs on the river, camp sites, the beach, 4X4 & motocross rides, etc. Sound really good. And their tough.

There are entire sites geared around these things. Tons of Google hits. Super popular down in Texas....I first saw them on the Guadalupe near San Antonio where there was dozens around. Up here we're usually the only one & people are amazed.

http://howtobuildanicechestradio.blogspot.com

http://www.coolerspeakersystems.com

http://icechestradios.net/build-your-own-cooler-with-speakers/

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

The Kicker KB6000 retails for $99 and could likely be had for $85. The JVC KDX31MBS runs about $130. Again, could likely be had for a little less. Shouldnt need much else installation wise, maybe a fabricated housing for the head-unit and a little bit of cabling for the speakers and head-unit.

Stereo "coolers" are cool, but what about a usable cooler with a stereo?

120W rms to each 6.5 marine coax

35 Ah AGM

Blue Tooth with 9V line driver and 3.5MM as backup

orange LEDs

Built in battery charger

66% of cooler capacity retained

P9190233_zpsx3e1osd4.jpg

P9190234_zps6jpjyyx1.jpg

PB020006_zpsreahr3zd.jpg

That's cool.

The reason mine isn't usable is because the goal was long play times, and very loud. I built mine with 4 8's that get at least 200w each, and has am/fm, bluetooth, usb, aux in, and a voltmeter built into the radio. The goal of mine was a lot different then most others. The only one I've seen louder is from Simmons custom boats.

I think everyone has done the cooler thing in many ways at some point, it's been around for ever.. Many ways to do it.. In this case, that's not what he is looking for. The Kicker idea (kb6000) was the best posted.. Sorry to everyone that upsets...

Edited by Truekaotik

No the cooler ideas are great, because when I say snowmobile trailer, I'm not talking a trailer you keep a snowmobile on, I'm talking a small trailer you tow behind a snowmobile.