Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower lights on G4

DarkSide

So I just finished adding an additional set of LED lights to the tower. Installing lights on the G4 has two issues. 1. The 1/2" bolt that you use to mount is also your wiring hole. So you have two choices 1. Drill new mounting holes, (bad idea). 2. Drill a wiring hole through the center of your mounting bolt. I went with option 2, drilling out the bolt. The next problem you need a little extra space between the tower and the tower details. So I created a spacer, and then mounted the bolts for the bracket underneath. Then a second spacer to conceal the top of the bolt that I drilled out.

The nice thing is these are reversible, so I can have rear lights for transfer signaling, (the lights will flash to help you time your transfer while surfing). They also can be rotated forward to provide extra light at night docking or even navigating around the lake.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/PK9yOP5udG

Edited by DarkSide

I am not sure how they will work at night for surfing. That is illegal here, however in the interest of providing full reviews to the crew I will test in the spring and let you know. It is too cold to get in the water at night now.

I am not even sure how they will be for docking yet. I just finished today. I am doing the Tempe light parade on Tempe town lake tomorrow night, so I will have more info then.

• 7 months later...

Were your wires already in the tower?  If not, could you tell me what wires are needed under the dash to add tower lights?  I have a 16 LSV with the G3.2 tower and want to add lights but cant seem to locate the wires needed to do so. 

Wow! Look great @DarkSide.  Ours came with the tower lights already, but yours put them to shame!  One thing that bugs me about the one's Malibu put on is they aren't LED.  They're the standard "old" yellow color.  The rest of the G4 integrated lights, and all the other lights on the boat for that matter, are LEDs except for these... :dontknow:

Thank you!  They are stupid bright, even driving into the sun, you can't miss them when they start flashing.  In the 17's they are built into the tower like the forward lights.   Super cool!

Great Idea!!! Just wondering how many wires does each light have? Reason for my question, I understand that you need  a + and -. If you hook the surfgate transfer signal beeper in to light and then use the lights normally at night will the beeper stay on during normal light use?

I would say yes unless you put a diode in line.  If you put a diode between the horn and light then no, but the lights would still work with the horn.  So horn works the lights, but the lights would not work the horn.

Sorry only 2 wires positive and negative

Edited by DarkSide
  • 1 year later...

Hi There I am going to add similar lights to my G4 Tower.  What was the purpose of the spacer?  How thick of a spacer did you need?  Any changes you would do if you were to do it again?  Thank you 

• 8 months later...

first post here, but I too am looking to throw on a set of baja designs S2 pros that I have sitting around. and I am curious if anyone would know if the wiring/fuses are rated for those lights.