Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Head unit replacement

saburkhart

OK I know very very little about audio systems, but I would like to make a change from my stock unit. I have an 01 VLX with the armrest head unit. I think it is a JVC and i know the speakers are infinity. It sounds fine to me and we really don't use it a lot so my main goal is to add bluetooth to stream audio and make the stereo more accessable.

1. If I use bluetooth will my phone control the volume and track info?

2. Would I need to add a wired remote for better control?

3. This is only 110.00 am I missing something or would this do it all? JVC

thanks again crew

If you decide to do the change out be aware (beware!) the support strap that attaches to the back of the current unit. It keeps the back end from bouncing around. You have to feel around blind to find the screw in the upper middle of the back of the unit. Short phillips driver. You cannot remove the current unit without first detaching the support. Don't loose the screw. Use your "blind" screw techniques to get it back in after replacement (e.g. putty to hold the screw on the driver, support the unit somehow to make it easier to line up the screw, strap hole, unit hole, etc.). Most single DIN units have the hole in the same place and standard thread size.

OK I know very very little about audio systems, but I would like to make a change from my stock unit. I have an 01 VLX with the armrest head unit. I think it is a JVC and i know the speakers are infinity. It sounds fine to me and we really don't use it a lot so my main goal is to add bluetooth to stream audio and make the stereo more accessable.

1. If I use bluetooth will my phone control the volume and track info?

2. Would I need to add a wired remote for better control?

3. This is only 110.00 am I missing something or would this do it all? JVC

thanks again crew

Yes, that should do it. Rather than moving the stereo, I just installed the remote on the upper left side of the driver's dash. Plus power in the passenger side glovebox. This gives plenty of control to the passenger & myself.

Yes, that should do it. Rather than moving the stereo, I just installed the remote on the upper left side of the driver's dash. Plus power in the passenger side glovebox. This gives plenty of control to the passenger & myself.

I'm in the same position as the OP, boat included. Music is always on, I want good quality sound but don't need everyone else on the lake to be annoyed. I would really like to move the HU but my concern with moving it below the dash as others have done is banging and scraping my knees every time I get in and out. Having the remote accessible on the dash sounds like a good compromise. Have any picks of the remote install position?

I'm in the same position as the OP, boat included. Music is always on, I want good quality sound but don't need everyone else on the lake to be annoyed. I would really like to move the HU but my concern with moving it below the dash as others have done is banging and scraping my knees every time I get in and out. Having the remote accessible on the dash sounds like a good compromise. Have any picks of the remote install position?

That was exactly my thought on it too..... a good compromise. And it works great for access from either the driver's or passenger side. If I were doing it all again, the only think I'd change is to install it a bit higher in the curved black part of the dash. Where it sits now, occasionally someone will walk thru to the bow & bump a button.

IMG_20150901_163917354_zps7b8mel0z.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

That was exactly my thought on it too..... a good compromise. And it works great for access from either the driver's or passenger side. If I were doing it all again, the only think I'd change is to install it a bit higher in the curved black part of the dash. Where it sits now, occasionally someone will walk thru to the bow & bump a button.

IMG_20150901_163917354_zps7b8mel0z.jpg

My kids would bump that every time and probably on purpose thinking it was funny.

I went with this setup. Couldn't be happier. Relocation was fairly easy, and Way better than the HU in the arm pit, and just the remote on the dash.

IMG_20150828_194356282_HDR_zpsh7hgv269.j

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-M505-Boating-Radios/dp/B00WDIDV44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449802410&sr=8-2&keywords=clarion+marine+stereo

Also have the clarion EQ and the Boost box for automatic volume control. Very happy with my system.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to go with the Kenwood 562 and hold off on the remote for now. If i can do all the features I want from my phone I don't see a need for the remote, but this one is capable in case I want to add it later. It also appears the remote has more features from kenwood than the jvc I listed earlier

thanks again