Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting EQ's under Dash on New Boats

Murphy8166

I did see the panel. I'm gonna give it a try although I don't use the Wetsounds EQ so the machined bezel is out.

Have a friend who is going to do it on the router table or have it laser cut.

Little concerned with being able to use/see the buttons on the EQ

Edited by Murphy8166

Low budget mounting install, I am 6'1 and never hit my knee on it all summer, its tucked away pretty tight. I prefer it on this side of helm so I can access it when sitting in observer seat if someone else is driving.

20150216_150659_zpsxibvr9bc.jpg

Edited by Fman

Yeah the LOOK of the setup that NCsurfing has is definitely clean. But I prefer it to be on the left side so that multiple people can get to it. The FEW times my wife drives being able for someone to help her with the stereo really makes life easier on everyone. If she got overwhelmed she would prob be done with driving all together and I cant let that happen......I'd never get to ride. I guess some people would prefer total control, but I think for ease of use left side is the way to go.

Edited by soonerbilly

Left or right... it's all personal preference. I've run it both ways and I prefer right side because:

a) I'm right handed so manipulated controls on the right side just feels more natural, and

b) These aren't exactly attractive units to have hanging down below the bottom of the dash, so the less I see it the better.

But I can see why guys like it on the left. And Fman is right... hitting your legs on it is not much of a risk. I never did when I had it on the left.

IMG_2090_zps5c8832ee.jpg

Personally, I like the EQ mounted on the right. Allows for the left hand to stay on wheel and right can work throttle and volume. The dilemma with the 2015 LSV, is that storage pocket door. A right mounted EQ may impede its opening, especially in a housing. I've some good looking clean left and right setups.

IMG_5634_zpsqwpm1xce.jpg

IMG_5671_zpsfrjp9yso.jpg

• Like 2

Left or right... it's all personal preference. I've run it both ways and I prefer right side because:

a) I'm right handed so manipulated controls on the right side just feels more natural, and

b) These aren't exactly attractive units to have hanging down below the bottom of the dash, so the less I see it the better.

But I can see why guys like it on the left. And Fman is right... hitting your legs on it is not much of a risk. I never did when I had it on the left.

IMG_2090_zps5c8832ee.jpg

Totally agree on personal preference. The advantage I have in my case is that I had the same ws420 mounted in my supra (on the right) thus, I could mount this new one knowing how I would use it;

-once the EQ was dialed in, I never touched it again

-once the master volume was set, I would manage levels with my Bluetooth device

-this left the only engagement with the fader for the tower. Dropping my hand off the throttle and rotating the fader from the side is something I can do without looking.

Thus, making it look factory was my primary goal and it works flawlessly...no regrets!

Edited by NCSurfing

Hanging down just looks out of place, not to mention you have to rig it up with metal strapping and it's not solid.

They look better with the mount from wet sounds if they must go near the steering wheel.

You're all worried about ease of use, but once you've used it a couple of days you don't have to look down. The volume knob is really all you need once its setup, and you damn sure don't want you're buddies turning on the eq knobs and screw stuff up.

• Like 1

http://s683.photobucket.com/user/jeremysmail35/media/IMG_0550_zpson3ctqfi.jpg.html?o=0

I just finished the install of my WS 420 last night and was back and forth on whether to install inside the dry box or create a cover plate similar to ncsurfing. I ended up putting it inside mainly because I don't like the look of it hanging down, and I also have young nieces and nephews who would love all the knobs. Who knows what adjustments they would make to the sound curve for me... Anyway I also won't be changing settings once it is dialed in, other the the fade between tower and in boat speakers. And it isn't in the pic but I have the mic ran through the open cubby directly behind the dry box.

http://s683.photobucket.com/user/jeremysmail35/media/IMG_0550_zpson3ctqfi.jpg.html?o=0

I just finished the install of my WS 420 last night and was back and forth on whether to install inside the dry box or create a cover plate similar to ncsurfing. I ended up putting it inside mainly because I don't like the look of it hanging down, and I also have young nieces and nephews who would love all the knobs. Who knows what adjustments they would make to the sound curve for me... Anyway I also won't be changing settings once it is dialed in, other the the fade between tower and in boat speakers. And it isn't in the pic but I have the mic ran through the open cubby directly behind the dry box.

Loving the idea of putting the EQ in the dry storage compartment. Such a clean look. And I totally agree that once I have it set up, I pretty much only use the master volume control.

My only reservation with that location would be that now you have to reach way down below your right knee every time you want to adjust the volume, which if you're like me is quite often. It also means you'll be driving around with the door to that compartment open all the time, flipping around with every imperfection in the water, just waiting to break off if you accidentally put any weight on it.

Personally, I like the EQ mounted on the right. Allows for the left hand to stay on wheel and right can work throttle and volume. The dilemma with the 2015 LSV, is that storage pocket door. A right mounted EQ may impede its opening, especially in a housing. I've some good looking clean left and right setups.

Hmmm... I didn't have any issue with clearance with the dry storage door (see my pic above). But as you say, with a housing it would have been a problem.

My only issue was I couldn't quite get the EQ all the way to the right. I had to leave a small space to allow room for the bracket and to have just a little space to get a screwdriver on it. I think it would look much better if I could have slammed the EQ all the way over into that corner.

Loving the idea of putting the EQ in the dry storage compartment. Such a clean look. And I totally agree that once I have it set up, I pretty much only use the master volume control.

My only reservation with that location would be that now you have to reach way down below your right knee every time you want to adjust the volume, which if you're like me is quite often. It also means you'll be driving around with the door to that compartment open all the time, flipping around with every imperfection in the water, just waiting to break off if you accidentally put any weight on it.

I am still controlling the master volume through the screen or paddle wheel so I wasn't planning on leaving my door open. If I was bypassing the factory system altogether I would have gone with a panel instead of putting it inside. I did have a better solution planned out vs. having to pay $100 for the Wet Sounds mount. I reused the 5/8 inch plastic from the factory sub box to make my insert for inside and I was going to do the same for a panel. I was going to cut it the size of the dry box, route the edges of the backside to 1/4 inch to keep it from sticking out (but still holding the EQ tight) and bevel the edges similar to ncsurfing's setup.

820BED67-37C7-4992-A2B2-F7EA936C611D_zps

4D2F5089-75C3-495A-BD90-122E68EEADDF_zps

This is the cleanest looking setup I've seen for having the unit exposed. Wrapping the vinyl around it looks about as factory as it's going to get yet still easy to control. Excellent work!!

With two screws using the provided brackets under the dash.... In front of your dominant hand knee so you can adjust without even looking at it.

Recessed far enough back so you'll never hit your knee on any of the knobs and to reduce rain exposure.... But close enough so that you can reach the vokume knob without having to lean forward.