Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Portable XM/Sirius - input

NCVride

I've been thinking about going with SAT radio on the Malibu for a while. I've also been thinking about getting the module to add SAT in my truck as well. We also have a pontoon that we take out when not playing behind the Malibu.

It got me thinking about portable XM/Sirius units. Anybody have any input on which models are better than others? I don't know if they are all junk or what. Everything I own has an aux in port or something of the likes. Just trying to see if there is a way for me to have 1 subscription and be able to use it in all 3. Hate to pay for 3 separate subscriptions and only use 2 of them 6 months a year. I know, quit being a tightwad!!!

Do you get cell service where you boat? If so, why not download the Sirius/XM app and listen to it via your phone via bluetooth or aux ports?

Cell service is spotty at best. Get's awful during the summer when the 1 or 2 towers around the lake are loaded with phones.

I have the Onyx Plus in 2 of my vehicles and a unit in my house. I have a docking station mounted in each car and just move the receiver. Works great.

I use the portable Onyx EZ with vehicle kit on my boat during the summer. I call and get the $25 for 5 or 6 month deal and then cancel the subscription at the end of summer. It works great out on an open lake and works majority of the time when I am on my local river which isn't very wide with steep banks and lots of trees on the edge of the banks. I think my boat even has Sirius, but I have not taken the time to figure out the radio # to get a subscription for the boat, the portable is just so easy to remove and if I need it somewhere else, then I just plug in to the AUX port and go.

I have just one XM tuner and I plug it into the auxiliary jack in the boat and into my truck. It works great in both, as long as the antenna is in the right spot. The Onyx Plus seems to work the best, and I only pay one service fee. Just don't forget it in the boat.

Edited by bbattiste247

I've been thinking about going with SAT radio on the Malibu for a while. I've also been thinking about getting the module to add SAT in my truck as well. We also have a pontoon that we take out when not playing behind the Malibu.

It got me thinking about portable XM/Sirius units. Anybody have any input on which models are better than others? I don't know if they are all junk or what. Everything I own has an aux in port or something of the likes. Just trying to see if there is a way for me to have 1 subscription and be able to use it in all 3. Hate to pay for 3 separate subscriptions and only use 2 of them 6 months a year. I know, quit being a tightwad!!!

It's got some age, but I've got a Delphi MyFi kit I'll send you if you want it. I have no idea if the battery will hold a charge, it's got a power supply and mobile charger. I turned it on and stepped outside, it connected to the preview channel.

063314A7-56FA-4C0A-8E2A-1FB353A3F3D4_zps