Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hour on Supercharged 555

G.Pizano

I am looking at a 2012 247 with the Supercharged 555. The boat has 322 hrs on it. My previous 247 has the 8.1L 450, which I have had several of and they all have been bullet proof up to 400 Hrs. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on the 555 as far as how many hours you may have seen on these engines. I know maintenance is a large part, which I am unsure about at this point. Is there any specified maintenance to the supercharger itself? Thanks

If properly maintained, it should easily go 2000+ hours. 400hrs is is just barely broken in.

improper maintenance, overheats, etc will shorten the life, but if it has been taken care of, I wouldn't think twice about a measly 400 hours. Get a compression check, and an oil analysis (unless oil was just changed).

I don't believe the supercharger requires seperate maintenance. I believe it uses its own oil supply for the bearings and gears in the supercharger. However, because that oil doesn't come in contact with any bad stuff (gas vapors and other caustic stuff), it doesn't deteriorate very fast. It's probably not a terrible idea to change it every few years, but I would suggest checking into that further.....

I am looking at a 2012 247 with the Supercharged 555. The boat has 322 hrs on it. My previous 247 has the 8.1L 450, which I have had several of and they all have been bullet proof up to 400 Hrs. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on the 555 as far as how many hours you may have seen on these engines. I know maintenance is a large part, which I am unsure about at this point. Is there any specified maintenance to the supercharger itself? Thanks

The supercharger has a maintenance schedule for sure as I'm familiar with the automotive version of the LSA. I think it requires oil changing every 150,000kms. Not sure how that would translate into a marine application with different loading conditions though. Call a dealer, they would know.

Edited by nohlan4

This is the same engine that is in the CTS-V and I have a 2011 with 96,000 miles on it and its a great engine but there is a known supercharger problem that you can search and read up on here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2015-cadillac-cts-v-general/

I had mine replaced under warranty like a lot of others that have this car. I wouldn't trade it for anything else though.

Wish I knew more about the engine that I could pass along. But I have ridden behind them a few times and they have an amazing amount of power. Holeshot & tight turns like a 21' boat, even with 6 or 7 people and a ton of ballast on board.

Yes, I have a 2009 247 LSV. It has a G3 tower, 8.1L 450HP. 350hrs. Closed loop cooling. All options except shower. Black and Blue Metalflake. Custom Triple axle trailer. Sorry, I haven't got a clue how to post a picture on here. $57k (US) Funny, The boat is in Calgary!!

Edited by G.Pizano

Yes, I have a 2009 247 LSV. It has a G3 tower, 8.1L 450HP. 350hrs. Closed loop cooling. All options except shower. Black and Blue Metalflake. Custom Triple axle trailer. Sorry, I haven't got a clue how to post a picture on here. $57k (US) Funny, The boat is in Calgary!!

Do you go to McGregor?

http://www.wizardlakemarine.com/brands/malibu-used-boats/2012-malibu-wakesetter-247-lsv/

Looks like a nice boat me....

Edited by pennery

Yes, I spend most weekends at McGregor. That one at wizard, I went and looked at it today. I thought it would be a nice update. I was disappointed. It is a nice boat but I don't care for the white bow. The black is not metallic, so if you stand at the front of the boat and you don't see any of the blue, all you see is black and white. Seems flat. Just my opinion. When you are spending that kind of money , it better put a smile on your face EVERYTIME you look at it! Still waiting for them to put some numbers together, so we'll see.

Would recommend a leak down test, this is a little better than standard compression test. Most Marine dealers will do a leak down test for inspection of boat. If it passes leak down test chances are you are good to go. I personally would never buy a used boat without a leak down test.

the LSA runs much cooler with water intake hose connected! otherwise you have 20 mins until the EXT blows and the SC blows...

many say they are bullet proof otherwise , and for the application its going to be the most 'under-worked" engine

if you read the car sites there were SC issues with 2013 or so models, not sure if that was models up to 2013 or specific ones during 2013, the issue is with the bearings melting.. for some reason this replacement did NOT make its way over into the marine world or any of the threads. due to my issue obviously my SC was replaced, since it blew so i "should" have an updated one now,

the SC, its suppose to be under warranty given a model number but again good luck with that in the marine world and its not widely publicized and i'm about 100% sure no dealer will know about it..

the sound in your boat is just awesome though! and having more HP over any of the other engines at near idle is just awesome...

Yes, I spend most weekends at McGregor. That one at wizard, I went and looked at it today. I thought it would be a nice update. I was disappointed. It is a nice boat but I don't care for the white bow. The black is not metallic, so if you stand at the front of the boat and you don't see any of the blue, all you see is black and white. Seems flat. Just my opinion. When you are spending that kind of money , it better put a smile on your face EVERYTIME you look at it! Still waiting for them to put some numbers together, so we'll see.

seems over-priced IMO

its a 2012 without SG

i would think 80-85k max, granted list price is obviously not what they will let it go for....

last year this time i picked my 2013 23LSV up with 36hrs on it for 80k fully loaded every single option shower/heated seats etc.etc... granted i stole it but still. now if that was a 2013 with SG then the price i could see 85k, but is a 2012 without SG, which means very difficult to sell to anyone these days wanting to surf when they could drop down to a 23lsv "newer" for the same or less price with SG.

its a sharp boat for sure but again seems over-priced without SG, IMO

work em down on price! best of luck shopping!