Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Repair - How ?

Hi All,

Wondering if anybody has had any success repairing a split seat seam. Happened because the grommets insist in standing on the rear seat when climbing over the stern to the swim platform.

I could get a new skin but thats pretty exy when its clearly going to happen again, so was hoping someone has a way to patch it to get a bit more life out of it?

Was looking at something like : http://www.amazon.com/3M-08579-Leather-Vinyl-Repair/dp/B0058WXNOK

Thoughts ?

Cheers

The repair kit will not work on a seem, nor will it work on a hole. Try calling an interior shop in the local areal and see if they can sew it back together. New skins are expensive, the local shop may have some suggestions that will give you what you are looking for.

So I had a 2001 Sunsetter LXi and split seams were kind of a known issue. Are they still and issue? I have a 2003 Mastercraft x30 now and while it has its own vinyl demons, the seams are perfect even after 13+ years. I have an order in for a 2016 LSV and was hoping this was behind me ...

Check to see if you have a local Color Glo guy. They will come to you and can fix small holes in vinyl or take on bigger repairs. I had a few small holes repaired recently by my local guy. He came right to the house and did a great job, such that you can't really see the repairs. It was not very expensive either.

Just did this on two split seams and replaced piping on one as well. Took it to the best upholstery guy in town and charged me $150.00. I think it was worth it.

• Like 2

De-skin the seat and have the seam re-stiched. It will be slightly smaller, but when you recover, some finessing as you staple (stainless or monel staples please) will pull it back into shape. I've done this with 3 skins (total of about 4 linear feet) and cost about 60 bucks, not including staples... Good Luck.

• Like 2

I have used superglue on both my 06 and 2012 VLX rear seat seams. Pull bead to one side and apply super glue then roll it back to position and hold for a minute. It basically melts the two together. If you don't use too much it will be totally invisible. Has held up for me. When it does finally come apart again, if it does, then I will reskin. The way these seats are sewn, is basically like perforating a piece of paper and it tears there. With the glue it is making it 100% contact adhesion with no holes.

All of you BU owners from down under have to deal with splitting seams.i am jealous . I will be shoveling snow in the next few weeks :)

Other day we were up the river and it was 44C (111F) with a water temperature of 25C (77F) - no snow here !!!

Thanks for the feedback everybody - appreciate the ideas ...!

Edited by Punyelroo

De-skin the seat and have the seam re-stiched. It will be slightly smaller, but when you recover, some finessing as you staple (stainless or monel staples please) will pull it back into shape. I've done this with 3 skins (total of about 4 linear feet) and cost about 60 bucks, not including staples... Good Luck.

Agreed. I have taken two of mine to a local lady who does great vinyl work at first site of them starting to split. She takes the skin off stitches it up and stretches it back on nice and tight.....................$30 for the small cushions in the back.

I have actually used the vinyl repair kits a few times. On my current boat It was a pretty bad seam split and I didn't have an extra $150 to even think about repairing the split. I will get pictures when I get home. Its not beautiful but the job stopped the rip from progressing.

I have actually used the vinyl repair kits a few times. On my current boat It was a pretty bad seam split and I didn't have an extra $150 to even think about repairing the split. I will get pictures when I get home. Its not beautiful but the job stopped the rip from progressing.

Thanks - a picture whould be great - to be honest I'm really about stopping it getting worse - If I ever sell the boat I'll get Malibu to make a new skin and I'll replace it.... As I recall the complete new skin last time I did it for my previous LXI rear seat, was $260 in the same colours etc...

That said, I wish they'd improve the seam strength or vinyl quality - it seems to be an ongoing problem.

1210151801_zpsxreb8tkl.jpg

1210151801a_zpsoyny8amy.jpg

Here are the pictures of my vinyl repair. This was done 2 summers ago so the color is coming off. where there is no white it is still sealed. It looks a lot better when the seats are clean and it was really good 2 years ago. it also stopped the damage until I can afford to do more. Not ideal but it is what it is.

• 1 month later...

If it's like mine I was able to pull the seat out and purchased a timber type shower mat if that's what you call it and it fits in perfectly.