Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Revised dash at sport knob w/ adjustable phone holder possibly installed on early '15?

buzzard

I'm looking at a leftover '15. Is it possible to go from the original dash:

malibuboatoriginaldashatsportknob_zpsmay

To the revised dash/adjustable cell phone holder:

malibuboatreviseddashatsport%20knob_zpss

Is it something I should be negotiating with dealer? Can the dealer even do the install?

I'll have all the info and pictures tomorrow (12/8), if everything goes well. I pulled my '15 and am going to stop at my dealer to try to swap it in to a '16 for test purposes. To remove the existing '15 version it's 4x 3/8 nuts and unplugging one cable. The sport knob moves from the '15 plate to the '16 plate via 3x additional studs/nuts.

post-3087-0-86786900-1449519730_thumb.jp

post-3087-0-30607100-1449519761_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I'll have all the info and pictures tomorrow (12/8), if everything goes well. I pulled my '15 and am going to stop at my dealer to try to swap it in to a '16 for test purposes. To remove the existing '15 version it's 4x 3/8 nuts and unplugging one cable. The sport knob moves from the '15 plate to the '16 plate via 3x additional studs/nuts.

attachicon.gifsport dash front.jpg

attachicon.gifsport dash rear.jpg

Interesting...

Can you post a pic of what the dash looks like after you removed that plate?

Interesting...

Can you post a pic of what the dash looks like after you removed that plate?

I'll get a picture on Wednesday of a '15 and I'll get a picture tomorrow of a '16 (assuming my dealer lets me take a boat apart AND it's not raining). It's basically just a well wrapped hole in the dash so you could put just about anything there. As @Stevo posted and @jonyb suggested, one of these could go there:

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/ipad-mini-side-slider-kit

sport dash front.jpg

sport dash rear.jpg

Thanks mikeo!

@IXFE I don't think that's going to be possible without some serious effort. Here's what the back of the sport button looks like:

post-3087-0-26593200-1449552395_thumb.jp

and here's a clear shot of the manufacturer logo:

post-3087-0-02403000-1449552409_thumb.jp

Here's what the front of the dash looks like with the sport button removed:

post-3087-0-89122700-1449552446_thumb.jp

@IXFE I don't think that's going to be possible without some serious effort. Here's what the back of the sport button looks like:

dash - button - back.jpg

dash - button - grayhill.jpg

dash - button - removed.jpg

Actually it looks like it could work, but not without losing the knob AND the buttons.

Any chance you can measure that circular opening on the metal plate?

@IXFE I knew that was coming, I don't know why I didn't measure it when I posted the pictures. The hole diameter is 2.245" using my cheap digital calipers, or realistically 2 1/4" before anodizing.

@IXFE I knew that was coming, I don't know why I didn't measure it when I posted the pictures. The hole diameter is 2.245" using my cheap digital calipers, or realistically 2 1/4" before anodizing.

I'm impressed that you even thought to measure it!

The Exile Media Center is 2.205" in diameter... Just a bit too small to catch the lip of that circular hole on the plate. Bummer. To make it work I'd have to mount another plate just behind it.

Since the sport knob is inset (kinda hard to see in the picture) you could have a piece of plastic cut to fit the recess and then drill a smaller hole in it for the Exile Media Center. Using textured plastic that matches the Malibu sticker in the mobile device holder could make for a factory look.

i missed something, what's the advantage of the 2016 sport knob vs 2015? I have 2015 LSV w sport knob already and love it.

The sport knob on the 2016 has a wider phone holder. That means you can fit bigger phones like the galaxy note 4 and the iPhone 6S plus

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone confirmed, but the 16 sport knob setup can be retrofitted to the 15.

I can also confirm this; I swapped the parts between two boats at my local dealer this afternoon (and had to put them back too). The main difference I found was that the '16 had a piece of plastic behind the dash that worked as a big stiffening washer/gasket since there wasn't as much room around the sport knob/phone mount.

I don't have any pictures since I was rushed and it was almost dark, but the phone mount plate is on order from Malibu and I'll have to post pictures of it mounted in the '15 as soon as it comes in.

The sport knob on the 2016 has a wider phone holder. That means you can fit bigger phones like the galaxy note 4 and the iPhone 6S plus

IXFE...can you clear out some messages? I can't send you a PM. Thanks! :-)

attachicon.gifdash - button - back.jpg

attachicon.gifdash - button - grayhill.jpg

attachicon.gifdash - button - removed.jpg

I was looking at drilling a new hole(s) for the upper phone holder mounting bolts, to try to make it wider.

Do you think that the left hole on the mounting bracket could be drilled 1/2 inch to the left without interfering with the sport button?

How close is the right bracket hole from the edge of the plate?

My current phone is 3 inches wide and took a little pressure when I test fitted it in a '15 LSV. My next phone may be a little over 3 inches and wouldn't fit. I'm thinking this may be a less expensive alternative to purchasing the '16 parts.

I can also confirm this; I swapped the parts between two boats at my local dealer this afternoon (and had to put them back too). The main difference I found was that the '16 had a piece of plastic behind the dash that worked as a big stiffening washer/gasket since there wasn't as much room around the sport knob/phone mount.

I don't have any pictures since I was rushed and it was almost dark, but the phone mount plate is on order from Malibu and I'll have to post pictures of it mounted in the '15 as soon as it comes in.

So, all you have to order is the 2016 Back Plate right?

So, all you have to order is the 2016 Back Plate right?

Malibu has a complete kit that you order to do this. You use your existing sport knob.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 3
  • 3 months later...

I got the kit, but it was part of another transaction so I don't have a line item price for the kit. Unfortunately the kit shows up in a bunch of plastic bags with no instructions. I'm pretty good a figuring this stuff out, but every time I put the kit together and put my phone in the holder the springs bind up.

I've emailed my contacts at Malibu asking for instructions or an assembly diagram with no response yet. I'm going to call them on 4/12 to see if I can't make some progress (and I need to discuss a few other things with them). It should be a simple assembly, and maybe I've got a pre-production or defective part, but I've got to wait until I try assembling it with instructions.

If anyone has a '16 that they want to take apart to reverse engineer the instructions I'd love to see some pictures! If I can't get Malibu to share anything I'll see if my local shop will let me take one apart and put it back together again.