Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain Thermostat?

Drained the block and critical hoses the other day and fired the boat up cold to run anti-freeze through, solid pink came out and I killed it. (Only had 5 gal). Do I need to worry about the boat not being up to temp and the thermostat not being opened?

No worries if you drained the block on both sides - but I would pull the block plugs one more time just to be sure you didn't push some water in there when you started it. Solid pink coming out the exhaust DOES NOT mean you got any antifreeze in the block. 5 gal. is more than enough to ensure you've got the rest of the system flushed out.

If you pull the plugs from the block, antifreeze will drain out if it made it in the block during your winterization. If you just pull the plug for a second to see and then put it back, you will still have some antifreeze in it.

When you drained the block the first time, did a lot of water come out or just a little? I always stick a screwdriver in the hole to break up some scale and then a lot more water comes out.

I had to pull the plug completely out because it was caught with debris. Just the little twist plug only drained a little. But when I pulled the whole plug out of both sides a lot of water came out.

The pump was pushing in pretty good and it prob took a good 8-10 seconds for any liquid to come out of the exhaust... Which was all pink

Edited by triscadek