Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much fuel stabilizer do you use?

tspkenneth

I'm starting the winterizing process on my 2008 23 lsv. According to the boat manual it's states to use 1 ounce stabil per 5 quarts of gasoline? The instructions on the stabil bottle states 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gasoline. What are you all doing for yours?

Fill up my tank and drop it all in. Don't think you can have too much.

+1. I always followed the rule that the amount on the gauge is the amount of the bottle. 1/2 tank of gas = 1/2 bottle, etc. Never had an issue in the spring. With my first boat I tried to follow Malibu's recommendation of so many ounces per total quarts and after the math got complicated I ended up pouring the bottle in.

I guess another question would be do you guys run the engine for a bit to get the stabilizer through the lines? And also do any of you fog? I live in north Texas if it makes any difference

What year is your 23LSV? CATS? I pour it all in, move the trailer back and forth to slosh it around, then run it for 10 minutes or so, fog, and shut it down for the winter.

You fog an MPI engine? - thorough the plug holes and not the throttle body I hope

OJ, is stabilizer snake oil? I always wondered about this... I add it but always think to myself did I just waste $10?

It depends.

Quality gas comes with stabilizer in it, lots of it. According to the MSDS the E10 I get locally from Holiday is 1-2% stabilizer (Propanol aka isopropyl alchohol), same stuff that is in Stabil.

Stabil is either mostly Propanol or mostly Naptha (mineral spirits) depending on which version you buy (Ethanol/non ethanol).

I don't run additional stabilizer in anything and we store a lot of gas over the winter and over the summer - something like 200 gallons (boats, yard equipment, snowmobiles, extra cars). Never had a fuel issue yet.

I pour in a full bottle on half a tank, fire my baby up till warm, that way the Stabil runs through the lines,

then shut her down and thats when I drain the Oil, blow out the water in all the lines, etc.

I don't Fog at all, Dealer recommendation...Injectors & ETEXCATS!

Edited by Dare2goBare

You fog an MPI engine? - thorough the plug holes and not the throttle body I hope

I always thought you could with a non-CAT, CAT needed sprayed through the plug holes. I've down it like that for 7 years now without any issues (06 Monsoon, 07 HH both noncat).

• Like 1

I always thought you could with a non-CAT, CAT needed sprayed through the plug holes. I've down it like that for 7 years now without any issues (06 Monsoon, 07 HH both noncat).

Problem with doing that is that MPI has a dry intake, shouldn't be anything but air running through it. By fogging you are filling it full of oil that coats the inside of the intake, can get on any sensors that exist in the TB/intake area and also attracts any little bit of dirt that makes it through the spark arrestor.

Not always going to cause problems, but fogging through the intake is an old carb/tbi thing not for MPI.

It depends.

Quality gas comes with stabilizer in it, lots of it. According to the MSDS the E10 I get locally from Holiday is 1-2% stabilizer (Propanol aka isopropyl alchohol), same stuff that is in Stabil.

Stabil is either mostly Propanol or mostly Naptha (mineral spirits) depending on which version you buy (Ethanol/non ethanol).

I don't run additional stabilizer in anything and we store a lot of gas over the winter and over the summer - something like 200 gallons (boats, yard equipment, snowmobiles, extra cars). Never had a fuel issue yet.

I just use Shell fuel, not sure what they put in it. How do you find this information on what maker adds what additives?

I just use Shell fuel, not sure what they put in it. How do you find this information on what maker adds what additives?

You get the MSDS for the fuel. Most of the time they don't post them on the internet and you need to ask for one from the service station. They are required to have a copy of it.

Problem with doing that is that MPI has a dry intake, shouldn't be anything but air running through it. By fogging you are filling it full of oil that coats the inside of the intake, can get on any sensors that exist in the TB/intake area and also attracts any little bit of dirt that makes it through the spark arrestor.

Not always going to cause problems, but fogging through the intake is an old carb/tbi thing not for MPI.

I would hope this is a pretty reliable, knowledgable source...? I read some of the same things you just mentioned on the googlenet. I can see it making sense but I have to wonder if it's just not another overly anal scare tactic to turn a simple procedure into some difficult and/or time consuming process and drive business into repairs shops and dealerships...? I wonder if Engine Nut still stands by this.

Capture_zpszhjn3sip.png

Edit - I just looked in the 2014 engine manual and it says the same thing.

Edited by Ndawg12

I would hope this is a pretty reliable, knowledgable source...? I read some of the same things you just mentioned on the googlenet. I can see it making sense but I have to wonder if it's just not another overly anal scare tactic to turn a simple procedure into some difficult and/or time consuming process and drive business into repairs shops and dealerships...? I wonder if Engine Nut still stands by this.

Edit - I just looked in the 2014 engine manual and it says the same thing.

The fact that it is in a 2014 manual when all engines have cats now might tell you that they don't keep those manuals very up to date ;)

Funny thing is that for me it is a lot quicker to pull the plugs and fog than go through the trouble of actually pulling the boat out of the garage and running the engine when it is time to winterize.

Edited by oldjeep

Fill up my tank and drop it all in. Don't think you can have too much.

It depends on the size of a bottle do you have? I wouldn't dump a gallon or a 32oz in your tank.

They make 4oz to a gallon size.

It depends on the size of a bottle do you have? I wouldn't dump a gallon or a 32oz in your tank.

They make 4oz to a gallon size.

True, the size I buy (for around 10 bones) says it treats up to 80 gallons. I ASSumed, sorry.

Yes I have the 32 oz and according to the manual I should be dumping the entire thing in. But according to the bottle I've only put in 4-5 oz

Its like Tylenol

"Its regular strength Tylenol. Here's what you do: Get her to open her mouth, take a handful and throw it at her. Whatever sticks - that's the correct dosage"

• Like 1

I use Startron and I put in everything but my cars. I follow the directions on the bottle and at the end of the season, on my last ride, I put another ounce or two in. Put the boat away with as little gas as possible. Never a problem

I use Startron and I put in everything but my cars. I follow the directions on the bottle and at the end of the season, on my last ride, I put another ounce or two in. Put the boat away with as little gas as possible. Never a problem

Thought it was better to put away with a full tank to limit condensation during the off months