Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winter Storage on a Lift

NCVride

Hey guys,

So now that I am back from the Virgin Islands, I got a bit of bad news regarding my normal winter storage. I have a buddy that lets me store the boat in the off season in his barn. Unfortunately this year they are doing some improvements to the barn and I can't store it there. As of now my best option is to winterize it on the lift and leave it there for the winter. I've done this one season with my old Supra and had no issues, but am not a huge fan of it just for peace of mind.

I know what I need to do to winterize it(I'm a part of the crowd, no water in it, no freeze, no need for antifreeze.), but what says the crew about anything extra I should do to it? My cover has side skirts and the boat sits completely covered and dry most of the time unless we get a northern wind with rain(which is basically every rain we get in the winter.) The platform and rear portion of the cover gets a little wet when we get that kind of flow. Any ideas on keeping the cover off of the sundeck? I tried placing a pool noodle on the rear edge of the cover earlier this year which helped to an extent, but water ended up puddling in front of the noodle.

Last year I left mine on a lift with weather and wind issues that sound similar to yours. I also have a full cover with skirts and only the platform and a bit of the rear of the boat cover will get wet in a driving rain.

Last year it was winterized by being drained of water by my dealer on the lift. Everything was fine last Spring.

This Fall I did the winterization by myself and have it full of antifreeze. I guess I am part of the "full of antifreeze" crowd. I did my Ski Nautique like that for years without any problems. I also got antifreeze into all of the ballast hoses and tanks (my dealer did not bother with that last year). The only other things I do is take out the batteries, the plug and play sacks and all of the removable cushions and store them in the house.

My boat stays on lift all year . Even with ice have ice eater that keeps it open in front of my house have never had any issues . Winterize right on lift with flush pro. Fog cyclinders remove cushions . This year i was able to go out on easter even though i was ice locked. Have a Shore Station lift with Canooy .

I would not think its worse then covering in the drive or something like that. If I needed a place to store and could leave the lift in the water it would be an option I would look strongly at. My boat is more protected on my lift then many other options. I do put my cover on also.

I keep mine on a lift in a covered slip, but if we get rain/wind from the west it will get the rear of the boat wet. So I bought a tarp from Home Depot and put it over my Evolution cover. It covers from right behind the tower and hangs over the sides and over the swim platform. Then took some bungee cords and secured it down.

Hey guys,

So now that I am back from the Virgin Islands,

I was waiting for a joke after this, Like they had to change the name......... Ohhhh.

Anyway, Have you looked for places that have RV storage units? you could drive it in and forget it. They are hard to find around here but you may get lucky.

If you have a teak swim deck I always get nervous about them freezing if they get wet. Water gets in the wood freezes expands you know the drill.

I was waiting for a joke after this, Like they had to change the name......... Ohhhh.

Anyway, Have you looked for places that have RV storage units? you could drive it in and forget it. They are hard to find around here but you may get lucky.

Ha ha ha. That didn't even cross my mind. Guess I was too worried about having to keep the boat on the lift this year. Ugh. I'm assuming you managed to get yours off the lift late summer/early fall with the deluge of rain we have had?

Ha ha ha. That didn't even cross my mind. Guess I was too worried about having to keep the boat on the lift this year. Ugh. I'm assuming you managed to get yours off the lift late summer/early fall with the deluge of rain we have had?

yes, the lake is full again and im on the lift for the winter. mine has a roof so its much better than sitting uncovered on the trailer. I was looking very hard for an RV storage unit to put it in if the water didn't come back.

My boat was a mess from the 4 weeks of sitting outside with the factory cover, actually still is a mess. I ordered an evolution cover a week after we got all the rain. :biggrin: