Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump wiring question

So I hooked my battery up today so I can check some of my wiring. Pulled the plug wires and turned the key. When it is in the on position, should the fuel pump start pumping and/or should it come on when the starter is cranking? Right now nothing is happening with the key in either position.

Supposed to be 60 here tomorrow, so I am planning on doing some electrical troubleshooting. Was thinking about running a hose to the swimming pool and firing it up if I can get everything working.

The fuel pump should come on while you are cranking the engine with or without oil pressure.

Not with a fuel pump safety switch present which I'm pretty sure is there...you could jump it though....

This is half right. The function of the safety switch is to power the pump while starting OR when there is oil pressure.

I think the switch is normally opened and shuts when pressure is 5 psig, sending power to the fuel pump. Switch opens when oil pressure drops below the setpoint.

Thanks guys! I'm planning on at least checking all my wiring, and making sure there is power where it is supposed to be. If it stops raining, that is. Yuck.

Rednucleus, thanks for the link. I will give that a shot as well.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks guys! I'm planning on at least checking all my wiring, and making sure there is power where it is supposed to be. If it stops raining, that is. Yuck.

Rednucleus, thanks for the link. I will give that a shot as well.

Merry Christmas!

I'd start by looking at the wiring that supplies power when starting, sounds like that circuit is not functioning. If the pump stops working after the engine starts, concentrate on the ignition on circuit.

Or, it could just be a bad ground.

I'd start by looking at the wiring that supplies power when starting, sounds like that circuit is not functioning. If the pump stops working after the engine starts, concentrate on the ignition on circuit.

Or, it could just be a bad ground.

First thing I was going to do is sand the inside of the bolt hole on the head where everything is grounded. The new motor was sprayed black before I switched my accesories over so I get the feeling I'm not getting a clean connection there.

First thing I was going to do is sand the inside of the bolt hole on the head where everything is grounded. The new motor was sprayed black before I switched my accesories over so I get the feeling I'm not getting a clean connection there.

Using a star washer next to the head will help also. I prefer stainless or bronze to help keep corrosion down. Spray the connection with grease after you get it cleaned to help keep corrosion away.

• 2 months later...

Snow and ice are gone early this year so I'm itching to get this resolved.  Uncovered the boat and replaced all of the original fuel lines with SAE 30R9 and installed the fuel pressure gauge. Next warm weekend (without the threat of a hard freeze) I'm thinking fake-a-lake in the driveway, and actually trying to start this thing.  

20160327_152152.jpg